mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Airborne Skyhawk Received! Adjustment questions?

Hey guys!

So I just got my bike last night and managed to put it together and after 30 minutes or so and lots of tinkering my brakes don't squeak anymore! What a relief I totally thought I wasn't ever going to get it perfect.

On to the next question it seems the chain starts to catch or rub on the metal guide rail thing on some of the gears? I haven't been able to ride it yet because it has a special kind of bike stem and my bike pump is a standard.

After I get off work today I'm going to swing by my LBS and pick up a helmet, pump and maybe a proper adjustment tool.

Any idea on if I need to make any adjustments on the guide rail thing for the chain? Or will it even out when I finally get to ride it?

PS. On a hilarious side-note it took me 20 minutes to realize i was screwing in my pedals the wrong way...
    Last edited by DefyLogik; 04-28-2013 at 10:41 AM.

Captain Climber
    Could it be from cross chaining?
    Some gears in the back are not meant to be used with certain chain rings in the front because of the angle

Captain Climber
    Here is a pic of it...BTW, I hope you enjoy your SkyHawk as much as I am enjoying mine.
    gear shifting - avoiding cross chaining for newbie.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Awwww! lol i'm such a noob... Well thanks a lot Jem7sk I've read a ton of your posts and find them really helpful. I bet it is the cross chaining i'll have to check it when I get home. Now I have to find a place to ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DefyLogik View Post
    Hey guys!

So I just got my bike last night and managed to put it together and after 30 minutes or so and lots of tinkering my brakes don't squeak anymore! What a relief I totally thought I wasn't ever going to get it perfect.

On to the next question it seems the chain starts to catch or rub on the metal guide rail thing on some of the gears? I haven't been able to ride it yet because it has a special kind of bike stem and my bike pump is a standard.

After I get off work today I'm going to swing by my LBS and pick up a helmet, pump and maybe a proper adjustment tool.

Any idea on if I need to make any adjustments on the guide rail thing for the chain? Or will it even out when I finally get to ride it?

PS. On a hilarious side-note it took me 20 minutes to realize i was screwing in my pedals the wrong way...
    you will find lots of info on the beginner forum and utube. Your front derailleur might need some fine tuning. You need a presta valve pump or one of these to put on your current Schrader valve pump.
    Innovations Presta Valve Adaptor > Components > Tires and Tubes > Tube Misc. Parts | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by DefyLogik View Post
    Well thanks a lot Jem7sk I've read a ton of your posts and find them really helpful.
    Hey thanks... Glad my posts have been helpful