Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Airborne Seeker Recommended Pedals

Hey guys been lerking in the forums for awhile lots of great info here thanks for all the help. Been back and forth with the cannondale sl2 airborne guardian goblin and now the seeker. After all the research I think the seeker is gonna be the one Im gonna pull the trigger on.... Wanted to ask what pedals should i put on the seeker Im 6"4 220lbs. I saw another post that showed the orange face off pedals which would be a good look... What do you guys think here the link of the pedals I was loooking at any other recomandations? Also what would be a fair price to pay a bike shop to assemble tune and lube the new bike? Thanks for all your help in advance

mtbr member
    I like the Shimano PD-M530s on my Hobgoblin(fairly inexpensive and perform well), but really it's all a personal preference, and depends on what kind of riding you do and what feels/functions right for you. Are you looking for platforms or clip-less? What kind of riding do you do? As for the shop assembly, I've not had any experience so I won't be much help there. Good luck and I hope that you enjoy the new bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=300913920984

I just ordered these for my new seeker. The price was right and they're going to look sick. I'm currently using a cheap $10 pair of pedals with no slippage so these will be a huge improvement!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have to say, my opinion is that Airborne bikes are for people who already have the know-how (or a buddy), or patience to do some searching on how to work on a bike. The bikes are great, that is undeniable, but when you start to factor in the price of initial adjustments or even assembly it erodes some of the "value". A lot of bike shops offer free adjustments for at least a year (some are for life), and when you consider you will spend $25-$50 (or more) per visit plus transit cost/time it adds up over the life of the bike. I am not trying to talk you out of the bike, because you won't find a better value when comparing specs, but just consider your total cost of ownership before you make your final decision.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rod.d View Post
    I have to say, my opinion is that Airborne bikes are for people who already have the know-how (or a buddy), or patience to do some searching on howhttp://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=300913920984 to work on a bike. The bikes are great, that is undeniable, but when you start to factor in the price of initial adjustments or even assembly it erodes some of the "value". A lot of bike shops offer free adjustMent ome are for life), and when you consider you will spend $25-$50 (or more) per visit plus transit costhttp://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=300913920984/time it adds up over the life of the bike. I am not trying to talk you out of the bike, because you won't find a better value when comparing specs, but just consider your total cost of ownership before you make your final decision.
    I put mine together in less than 30 minutes and I haven't had a bike in over 20 years. Simply install the seat post with seat attached, install handlebars and front wheel! You will need it adjusted and looked over and those costs will vary from shop to shop. Do what I did....call several shops prior and talk to the guys there...you will soon know where you want to take yours. I paid $40 to have everything looked over and adjusted so it's running choice! I'm glad I did because I had the spring on the front skewer wrong. I get one free tune up and it was suggested to get that done after 30 rides. If I have to pay $20-40 bucks a few times a year I'm cool with that as it's just a "cost to ride".

I guess the question is...do you want an inferior with free tune ups for a year or a better bike and not have free tuneups for a year?

BTW: of the 5 LBS I talked to here in Atlanta, none offered more than 1 free tuneup!

mtbr member

I hadn't been on a bike since I was 15. So far the only thing
    I've taken to a bike shop is one of my Black Flag Pro wheels to be trued.

This is what my green Goblin looks like now:

Airborne Seeker Recommended Pedals-imageuploadedbytapatalk1376453603.602360.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for your quick response I mainly do street and some basic trail riding. Here the link to the ones I was looking at sorry lol...670319 New x Pedo BMX Face Off Pedals Orange | eBay

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKreitzer View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376453603.602360.jpg 
Views:	599 
Size:	176.9 KB 
ID:	823560
    Looks great! Hope the build went smooth! I assume the green frame is now hanging up in your living room as art?

Jeremy
    Homebrewer, Patriot, Amateur Photographer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rod.d View Post
    I have to say, my opinion is that Airborne bikes are for people who already have the know-how (or a buddy), or patience to do some searching on how to work on a bike. The bikes are great, that is undeniable, but when you start to factor in the price of initial adjustments or even assembly it erodes some of the "value". A lot of bike shops offer free adjustments for at least a year (some are for life), and when you consider you will spend $25-$50 (or more) per visit plus transit cost/time it adds up over the life of the bike. I am not trying to talk you out of the bike, because you won't find a better value when comparing specs, but just consider your total cost of ownership before you make your final decision.
    Yeah, we know that our bikes aren't for everyone. There are some folks that just can't work on their own bike or even make simple adjustments. Some folks absolutely need the benefits that a *good* shop offers. If we are on the phone with someone who obviously fits into that category, we are up front and honest with them and let them know that maybe a shop is a better route for purchase. We have no problem with that. We'd rather someone be happy about their bike purchase and enjoy themselves than have a bad experience and not ride or not enjoy riding.

But for the most part, making simple adjustments, replacing cables, routine maintanence, etc is not really rocket science. If someone is already handy (likes DIY on their house/projects, changes their own oil, etc) learning the basics and doing their own wrenching is a rewarding experience and makes those times on the trail when something goes wrong much easier to deal with. I'm one of those kind of people who HATES to pay others to do something that I (think) I can do, so to me it makes sense.

Thanks!

Jeremy
    Homebrewer, Patriot, Amateur Photographer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Yeah, we know that our bikes aren't for everyone. There are some folks that just can't work on their own bike or even make simple adjustments. Some folks absolutely need the benefits that a *good* shop offers. If we are on the phone with someone who obviously fits into that category, we are up front and honest with them and let them know that maybe a shop is a better route for purchase. We have no problem with that. We'd rather someone be happy about their bike purchase and enjoy themselves than have a bad experience and not ride or not enjoy riding.

But for the most part, making simple adjustments, replacing cables, routine maintanence, etc is not really rocket science. If someone is already handy (likes DIY on their house/projects, changes their own oil, etc) learning the basics and doing their own wrenching is a rewarding experience and makes those times on the trail when something goes wrong much easier to deal with. I'm one of those kind of people who HATES to pay others to do something that I (think) I can do, so to me it makes sense.

Thanks!

Jeremy
    The world needs more DIYers if you ask me

I just got my HG and getting it together, and fine tuning it is half the fun if you ask me. What's more rewarding than wrenching on your own ride and reaping the benefits on the trail! I would highly recommend getting involved in your local MTB chapter or IMBA in general and try to make those connections with other riders. In my experience, most of us are more than happy to lend a helping hand or impart experience to others who share the trail. Cheers!

Jim

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKreitzer View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376453603.602360.jpg 
Views:	599 
Size:	176.9 KB 
ID:	823560
    Bike looks sweet!!!

Little too clean, though. (Not a pick-up line.)

Airborne Flight Crew
    If you're going to run flats, these are not a bad option either: deity Compound Pedals

I've used them on my Guardian/Goblin/Hobgoblin AND Taka for DH. They are very durable, easy to service and IF you need to replace the body on the pedal, it doesn't cost much. Mine have help up great so far.

...those VP's look nice though, and they come in different colors other than orange.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I just got home a little while ago only to find a little surprise in my mailbox

Already put these VP001s on and took a ride up the street....in flip flops, and these things rock. No slippage at all. Now i didn't do anything technical but I did jump my walkway in the front yard and feet stuck like glue!

Airborne Seeker Recommended Pedals-20130814_133530.jpg

Airborne Seeker Recommended Pedals-20130814_133502.jpg

Airborne Flight Crew
    Looks great - awesome bike!
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Seeker looks awesome!

Such a great color scheme.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Looks great! Hope the build went smooth! I assume the green frame is now hanging up in your living room as art?

Jeremy
    Build went great. I just haven't had enough time to ride in the past 5-6 weeks. I haven't even had time to get the new frame dirty. :-(

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I love my Time pedals on my Zeppelin. I believe they are the Time Atac Z pedals.

mtbr member

Here are the Face Off pedals on my Seeker. Airborne Seeker Recommended Pedals-imageuploadedbytapatalk1376750862.291399.jpgAirborne Seeker Recommended Pedals-imageuploadedbytapatalk1376750923.673941.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigwillie41 View Post
    Here are the Face Off pedals on my Seeker. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376750862.291399.jpg 
Views:	562 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	824517Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376750923.673941.jpg 
Views:	452 
Size:	228.0 KB 
ID:	824519
    I know an older thread, but I am searching all over to find these pedals and can not find this color combo anywhere... Is it discontinued? Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Not sure about those pedals

Quote Originally Posted by rca90gsx View Post
    I know an older thread, but I am searching all over to find these pedals and can not find this color combo anywhere... Is it discontinued? Thanks in advance!
    Not sure about those pedals but I bought a set of spank spike for my Goblin and I love tham highly recommend they have tham in orange also I got the green
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Airborne Seeker Recommended Pedals-spspfp-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks! Really great looking pedal, I'll have to look in to those tonight as well!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    After doing my research, I concluded the best pedals on the market were the Canfield crampon's for platform pedals. I don't have clipless. I bought a set for my seeker and can now say my research was spot on in my opinion. They even come in orange. They are pricey at $150, but I think the value it there, if the budget can accomodate.
    Airborne Seeker Recommended Pedals-seeker1.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2014
    You can also look at the wellgo mg1 pedals, great quality for about $35 on eBay. They come in different colors but not sure about orange.

As far as assembly, don't stress it. Watch a few YouTube videos and as long as you have a metric hex set and pump with presta valve there's no reason you can't do it. I had no knowledge of bike mechanics a few months ago when I got my first airborne, a guardian. Since then Ive assembled three bikes, learned how to adjust all the derailleurs, remove and reinstall the fork and headset when I cut the steerer tube, remove the cranks to tighten my lower pivot bolt, size and replace the chain, adjust and install brakes, convert the tires to tubeless, as well as add/change/adjust the many components I've swapped out multiple times now trying to find the right fit. This weekend I'll be converting the drivetrain to a 1X10. Its all pretty simple as long as you take the time to do a little research, the information is out there if you just do some looking. Don't be intimidated and get after it so you learn your bike.

Edit: Doh, just realized this thread is originally from august 2013

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks for all the responses, and trust me, I have been doing a TON of research, I love anything mechanical to work with

mtbr member
    I bought the Fyxations for my Goblin Evolution and have been loving them.

Haven't done much other than light trail riding and riding to work on streets but my shoes regardless of brand haven't had any trouble sticking to the pedals.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast