mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Airborne road bike?

I know this is a mountain bike forum, however Any possibility that airborne might ever offer a road bike?

mtbr member

Airborne road bike?

They used to have a cross bike. I'm sure they're going to offer something else along the lines of a road bike or cross bike in the future.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Maybe a cross bike, but I doubt they'd do a road bike.

BDF could say otherwise, but I think the Airborne folks are off roaders.

There's a reason why all of their bikes have been off road.

Airborne Product Dude
    We have several road prototypes floating around that employees have been riding for the past 2 years. We're still working thru things and *may* do something for the fall of 2014.

Adding road bikes to our line-up adds another level of expense. In addition to the extra SKU's and inventory expense we'd incur, we also have to spend $$ advertising on road specific websites and magazines. Not saying that we don't want to do it, as all of us here also ride road quite a bit.

We do a great daily lunch ride out of here everyday that sometimes is casual, sometimes is all about destroying your fellow co-workers on the road and making them suffer.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Wow, didnt think of all the logistics and advertising issues. I only mentioned it because airborne mtn bikes are so great. I see where disc brakes are becoming more common on road bikes; airborne has lots of experience with disc brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Teletodd View Post
    Wow, didnt think of all the logistics and advertising issues. I only mentioned it because airborne mtn bikes are so great. I see where disc brakes are becoming more common on road bikes; airborne has lots of experience with disc brakes.

It just so happens that the next bike I'd be looking for realistically is a disc brake big tire clearance gravel bike. Seems like something Airborne could get behind given enough time to prepare and build up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by skyphix View Post
    It just so happens that the next bike I'd be looking for realistically is a disc brake big tire clearance gravel bike. Seems like something Airborne could get behind given enough time to prepare and build up.
    Is that the same as a fat bike? Been seeing more and more fat bikes lately. They look fun.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm thinking along the lines of the Kona Rove, Surly Straggler, Salsa Warbird. Somewhere between a cross bike and a road bike with discs that fits 700x40 cross tires.

Though a fatbike would be fun too, I'm thinking of something for long days or multiday tours on mostly gravel roads or rail trails with some road riding thrown in.
    Eric

AZ
    banned
    Gravel Grinder. Next big thing.