blame me for missed rides

Airborne Paka wallup 29er

get down!
    YUP! just saw this myself. Crazy stuff, way too much money for me, but then again all frames with shocks are lol!

To me this is more important just for the 29er movement...I mean with the 2.3" tire, and more and more builders and companys jumping on, it's gaining momentum. We're having a couple people come into the shop and ask about them also
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

Harmonius Wrench

Wheeelbaaaassse.

Whoa! those chainstays look long! The wheelbase must be in the 44" range on that design. Also interesting that they are showing it with SpeedCity wheels. Airbourne's website sya Pat Irwin is testing this rig. What say you, Pat? Anything you can share?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Paka 29er

I should see the bike Monday, so no reports yet. They we're having some problems with the geo since the rear end stays the same on all sizes, so a 16" is not in the cards. A group of us up here in Alaska will put it thru the paces and report our opinions on the 29er and the Alaska forums. Then Airborne will decide if it's a doable project.
    What's more interesting is the full sus 26er and 29er that's in the works. Ti main triangle w/ alum rear. 4" or so travel. It's actually easier than applying the Paka geo to a bigger wheel. Let them know what you want and where you think 29ers are going. The more we push the more we get!
    Full reports to follow soon. Keep up the interest....
    Alaska Pat

Harmonius Wrench

... and if we just ... Four inches? Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by patirwin
    I should see the bike Monday, so no reports yet. They we're having some problems with the geo since the rear end stays the same on all sizes, so a 16" is not in the cards. A group of us up here in Alaska will put it thru the paces and report our opinions on the 29er and the Alaska forums. Then Airborne will decide if it's a doable project.
    What's more interesting is the full sus 26er and 29er that's in the works. Ti main triangle w/ alum rear. 4" or so travel. It's actually easier than applying the Paka geo to a bigger wheel. Let them know what you want and where you think 29ers are going. The more we push the more we get!
    Alaska Pat
    My vote goes to the four inch travel, Alu/Ti idea, especially if the design can be executed with reasonably short chainstays. I beleive a bike of this type, done up 29er style will be very marketable. Guess I'll have to wait to see what they come up with. Please do keep us posted, and thanks for your swift reply, Pat. I'm sure your pretty busy!

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by patirwin
    Alaska Pat
    Please make it a Horst link, not that I'd buy one anytime soon since I've got a deposit on another fs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Got the 29er soft-tail

Finally got the long awaited 29er soft-tail today. And yes, the wheelbase is loooong! 45.25"! Airborne tried to adapt their 26" Paka Wallup design to the 29er at the request of me and MikeC, and it just wasn't as easy as one would think. They'd have to totally redesign to make it work better, and they're more interested in the 4" travel full boinger their presently working on in both 26 and 29".
    So I'll ride it along with a few testers up here in the far North and give our 2 bits. My first impression is that the suspension design works fine, but the long WB will make it slow handling. That's after a quick ride around the pot-holed gravel lot next door. I really think it will shine on the long stuff like the Great Divide, and the Denali Park road that I'm riding on this week. We have long, bumpy dirt roads here in Alaska(100-500 miles), and I can already tell this will be great bike for them. I'll also recommend it for the 200 mile mtb race we're having in July. It's 157 miles of single-track, but not the twisty/windy kind, so it should work perfectly. And as for sizes, the Med. size has a 23" seat tube, but with standover of an 18", so I only have 3.5" of seatpost sticking out. Not traditional, but works fine. Larger sizes will not be a problem, but smaller sizes are out of the question unless they redesign, which I don't think will happen. And I'll already recommend they keep this as a custom option and focus on the full sus 29er.
    I'll report more next week after we put a few hours on it.
    Chow, Alaska Pat

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

2nd impression

rode home yesterday via a small section of ST, and the rest bike path/road. Our trails are still muddy from our recent break-up. My initial report is that it's a slow steering rig, just as we expected from the long wheelbase, but not so slow that it doesn't have it's good points. It climbs like a goat in the saddle, but loses grip when standing. But the fast downhill gravel road out my front door was no problem as I took it faster than I have on any other bike. This bike is stable!
    So until I get on the ST trails, I'll venture a guess that this would be the perfect off-road touring rig, or Great Divide racer. When you get tired, as in a 24hr race, quick steering bikes can send you in the wrong direction before you know it. This bike should not have that problem.
    The suspension design works surprisingly well, and my only wish so far is for a shorter WB. But for those who go for the long haul, it's perfect. More later after we've got it on the trails.
    Cheers, Alaska Pat