Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Is the Airborne Marauder okay to start with and build off of?

Okay, I'm still trying to decide on what bike I want to start with and it is very frustrating with how pricey these things get so quickly. I don't have a lot of money and most likely won't be able to finance one. Is the Airborne Marauder a decent bike to start with? I know the components aren't the best by any means but how reliable is the frame. Is it tough and reliable to the point where I can build off of it? Thanks for your input ahead of time.

mtbr member
    I don't really have time on the bike personally, but one of my fellow Flight Crew members has one...check out his video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THTA1yYgy4E

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    A huffy by any other name is a huffy. The flight crew is social media marketing gone awry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mh02215 View Post
    A huffy by any other name is a huffy. The flight crew is social media marketing gone awry.
    Really, so are Iron Horse bikes retroactively Huffies too now, what with it being the frame that is being discussed?

I haven't ridden, touched, or seen an Airborne bike in real life, but as per the quoted post, every thread I have read involving them seems to devolve into a goddamn witchhunt instead of discussing the actual merits of the bikes themselves.

To actually add something of use to this thread, the suspension design could be considered outdated, but if you accept the limitations of it being a single pivot, then I can't see anything egregiously wrong with it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Who said Ironhorse bikes are huffies? I loved my ironhorse and after 5 years of taking a beating it finally gave out. The huffy gave out after the first 30 minutes of riding.

I don't even have anything against huffy, i'm sure they're introducing a lot of riders to the joys of mt biking.

My problem is with the 2 schmucks over at airborne selling huffies as "real" mt bikes. And yes, I'm talking from first hand experience.

mtbr member

Left: Ironhorse Warrior, Right: Airborne Marauder.
    Apart from the size related differences, the frames are exactly the same.

Edit: Basically what I'm saying is I wouldn't judge a brand based on experience with lower end components. Mongoose sell crap at Walmart, but they also have decent bikes, Rock Shox produce the Dart range, but it doesn't mean everything they make is crap, etc.

The main problem Airborne seem to have on this forum is that they mainly sell entry level bikes, which are mostly bought by people with little experience on these kind of bikes, who then fawn about their new bikes on this forum and get chased out for being 'shills'.
    Last edited by cerebroside; 09-14-2011 at 09:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I think the people fawning over the bikes are really wolves in sheep clothing -- the airborne flight crew.

The flight crew are given free bikes and other gear in exchange for social media marketing of the bikes.

I read the bad airborne reviews and gave them the benefit of the doubt and i'm regretting it now.

mtbr member
    Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

I am curious as to what you think is so bad about the marauder. While it is specced pretty low, for the price it sounds fine?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The worse thing about the marauder is dealing with the customer service crew over there. I feel like I've been tag teamed by a couple school yard bullies. These guys are shameless.

Airborne Flight Crew
    The Marauder is a keenly priced 6 inch single pivot All-Mountain bike. It's spec'd pretty good for its price point, it upgrades well too, and rides great. Well, at least I have fun on it:

Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

Airborne Product Dude
    Who said Ironhorse bikes are huffies? I loved my ironhorse and after 5 years of taking a beating it finally gave out. The huffy gave out after the first 30 minutes of riding.

I don't even have anything against huffy, i'm sure they're introducing a lot of riders to the joys of mt biking.

My problem is with the 2 schmucks over at airborne selling huffies as "real" mt bikes. And yes, I'm talking from first hand experience.
    Mr. Sullivan,

None of what I am about to say below is anything different than what we have said to you many times already.

I generally prefer to refrain from addressing this sort of thing in public, but I am making an exception in your case.

You purchased a Marauder from us, knowing full and well what the parts spec is on the bike. We clearly have it listed on our website. We have sold many, many Marauders to many happy folks. No, it is not the most expensive bike out there. The parts spec on it represents a good value for the price that the bike is.

You rode the bike, and after two weeks, contacted us asking for a refund. When we probed you for more information as to why you were unhappy, you stated that you had a problem with the "inferior parts" on the bike and that the bike has been ridden. At that time we told you we would refund your money, less the cost of shipping, and any damage that may exist on the bike from riding it. That is perfectly reasonable.

Then, 2 weeks later, you replied stating that the crank was "deffective" and that the pedal (that you installed on the bike since our bikes ship partially assembled) came off, or out, after hitting a rock. At this time we told you there would definitely be a restock fee, depending on the damage and condition, and asked again that you send the bike to us ASAP for a refund to be processed.

Shortly there after, you filed a complaint with the BBB. After we shared the facts with them, they agreed that we were being more than reasonable with you and closed the case.

We are still waiting to receive the bike. As promised you will receive the majority of your money back from us, but we can't do anything until we get the bike back. I don't know how much clearer we can be with you.

We have sold a lot of bikes in the past two years. Our satisfaction rate is very high. The fact that we know exactly who you are shows how few complaints we receive.

It is no secret that we are owned by Huffy. Huffy owns several other brands. Just as Pacific owns Cannondale, etc, etc. Yes, the Marauder is based off of a prior Iron Horse model, because the factory that we have been using used to make bikes for Iron Horse, and owned the frame designs after Iron Horse went belly up and stuck them with a lot of $$$. The Marauder is a simple, single pivot bike that offers a lot of value for the money.

I hope that I have addressed most of the concerns in this thread.

I suggest, Mr. Sullivan, that your time would be better utilized in boxing up your bike and returning it to us........rather than signing up on internet forums and bashing us where ever you can.

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    also im thinking to get this bike i guess will be the right choice as i many other disciplines i guess many start with a good but cheao options

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    also jhazard i see that you install a rear shock maybe the marzocchi coil f 6.5x1.5 do im right? can you tell me the model you used? before i buy the marauder i want to get the marzocchi coil f 6.5x1.5 with adjusments or the fox vanilla rc 6.5x1.5 hard to find maybe, or if some of you guys have some coil shock with adjusments size 6.5x1.5 let me know if if you want to sell it =)

Titanium junkie
    I think the people fawning over the bikes are really wolves in sheep clothing -- the airborne flight crew.

The flight crew are given free bikes and other gear in exchange for social media marketing of the bikes.

I read the bad airborne reviews and gave them the benefit of the doubt and i'm regretting it now.
    Then return the bike and move on, guys like you really chap my ass,
    give a reason why you don't like the bike for what it is.
    Reading about Airborne in reviews, all I hear is they are a very good bike
    for what you pay for them, never heard them tout their bikes as top tier.
    And speaking from owning a small business, you have to get your name out
    there somehow, so they give people a bike to try and then ask them to give
    opinions, and of those opinions I have gleaned that there are good points and not so good
    points about each model. If all that was said was they are the greatest thing since
    sliced bread, then I would think they are liars. Get a clue tool, you want your money
    back, send the bike back.
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by libertadores View Post
    also jhazard i see that you install a rear shock maybe the marzocchi coil f 6.5x1.5 do im right? can you tell me the model you used? before i buy the marauder i want to get the marzocchi coil f 6.5x1.5 with adjusments or the fox vanilla rc 6.5x1.5 hard to find maybe, or if some of you guys have some coil shock with adjusments size 6.5x1.5 let me know if if you want to sell it =)
    Libertadores:

I did install a different rear shock, I believe it's a Marzocchi Roco Coil F -- not exactly sure if it's 6.5x1.5 or...? I'll look when I get home. You can also contact Airborne via the Live Online Help link on their home page, they can tell you what model/shock, size and stroke length.

Also, let me add that if you're shopping for different shock in the more affordable range, take a look at the Rock Shox Kage. I'm running one on the Taka right now and it's a great performer.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    thanks jhazard yes it seems a marzocchi coil f 6.5x1.5 limited edition i guess rock shock kage comes in larger sizes,i want to get first a shock with spring anfter this buy the bike

mtbr member
    well hello I just want to ask about this bike I've read it has its cons but that is a good bike I would love to enter in free ride but Im not gonna do crazy huge jumps just ride and some jumps, and why I see this bike because my budget isnt huge

Airborne Flight Crew
    Hi CRchris, for the price, the Marauder is a great start into am/freeriding. I've made a lot of effort to upgrade mine, but there are a lot guys out there rocking the stock version, or very close to stock.

Check the videos above, or even go their website and use the live contact option during business hours. They are down to earth, real people and will have answers for any of your questions.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Can you only buy the frame of this bike? Because I already have a few components, plus I'd like better than what comes stock. This sounds like a pretty good option to me, given that the frame is strong enough to take a beating.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    Hi CRchris, for the price, the Marauder is a great start into am/freeriding. I've made a lot of effort to upgrade mine, but there are a lot guys out there rocking the stock version, or very close to stock.

Check the videos above, or even go their website and use the live contact option during business hours. They are down to earth, real people and will have answers for any of your questions.
    Thnx yes I've seen many people bashing it but I trust in the bike and the company

mtbr member
    Chris, the thing is the 'lifetime' of a frame is 7 years or so. Therefore you are making an investment in your riding. Be aware though that once you have a bike with a frame like this it may be hard to sell on, because of the name on it, and if your riding improves you may want to get something better, not so much because the frame is bad, more because you'll want a slacker bike with modern suspension, so you may end up with the frame under-used. Also some people will always look at the frame and say 'hmm, one of those', damaging your confidence making you feel lacking, I know that's their problem being small-minded, but after a while you may get sick of that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lew242 View Post
    Chris, the thing is the 'lifetime' of a frame is 7 years or so. Therefore you are making an investment in your riding. Be aware though that once you have a bike with a frame like this it may be hard to sell on, because of the name on it, and if your riding improves you may want to get something better, not so much because the frame is bad, more because you'll want a slacker bike with modern suspension, so you may end up with the frame under-used. Also some people will always look at the frame and say 'hmm, one of those', damaging your confidence making you feel lacking, I know that's their problem being small-minded, but after a while you may get sick of that.
    Thnx for the reply and for your opinion about the suspension all my life I've have ridden a hard tail so anything better will be awesome and yeah I know that about that respective talking but I think I know how to take care about that and about the frame well if it becomes an unused frame well it wouldn't be so expensive and other bikes that are FS here the cheaper one costs like $2000 and I would import it

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackFA522 View Post
    Can you only buy the frame of this bike? Because I already have a few components, plus I'd like better than what comes stock. This sounds like a pretty good option to me, given that the frame is strong enough to take a beating.

Sorry Chris, no frames - complete bikes only.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    If I could find just a frame this would be perfect. I like the taka too, but I live in south FL so there isn't much of downhill

mtbr member
    Wasnt me who asked about frames but thnx anyways I'm in the search of the marauder now I only need to get the money

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast