No Shades of Gray

Airborne Lucky Strike, what fork length?

I have a LS with a 80mm SID on it right now. Would like to have 100mm of travel if possible. Can I put a 100mm fork on there with no problems. Frame is Ti so I'd hope the added stress on the head tube would be OK.

Also, anyone have info on what head tube angle this frame had back in the late 90's? Probably '99. Was it designed for a 80mm or 100mm? If 100mm then I have no problem but back then I do not think 100mm forks were widely speced on XC bikes.

Thoughts?
    Thx.
    L.
    "Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live" -- Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Pretty sure it was designed around a 80mm fork. I have the Black Widow (steel) from 99 which shared geometry with the LS, it came with a 80mm fork but I have recently put a 100 on. It definitely slowed the steering down, but after a few rides I adjusted and all is well.

I have a magazine article about the BW that says it has a 71 degree head angle.

Those are nice bikes, I always wanted the Lucky Strike but could only afford the Black Widow. Sucks they arent around any more...

No Shades of Gray
    That helps me alot actually. I've decided to go with a 85mm setting instead of 100mm.
    Yep, the frames are very nice for chinese Ti manufacturing. I can't complain. Borrowed a fork to take it out for a ride and it does have a different feel after all. I did not expect to notice it from my now sold 8000 Alum. hardtail.

I thought to just get used to the 100mm fork but considering it's gonna be a SS I did not feel I'd be on trails that required that much travel anyway.

Later.
    Linerider
    "Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live" -- Mark Twain

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Yeah, I realise this is an old thread. Just including this info for archival reasons:

Designed AC height of the:
    • Lucky Strike is 443mm
    • Black Widow is 455mm.