mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Airborne Literally

Okay, I know my Goblin is tough now after flying off my car last night at 50+ mph. Only damage that I can tell was to the handle bars, seat, pedals, and one quick release lever.

I thought my MTB season was over for the year. Now I need to get a bike track worthy of my Airborne!

banned
    Jan 2013
    PIcs or it didn't happen. Plus, how'd the bike fall of the rack? Save someone else by sharing the info.

mtbr member
    Be careful out there! Whew!

About 2 years ago, one of our customers put his Marauder on the back of his trunk rack and didn't strap it down properly (or forgot). He was flying down the highway and heard a noise, to look back and see his Marauder skipping down the highway. By the time he could get turned around and go back, someone had made off with it.

Fast forward a week or so, he was looking on craiglist for a used cheap bike since he didn't have the money for another new one, and he found his bike on there listed by the folks who made off with it. He called them, told him he wanted to buy it, set up a meeting, then showed up with some LEO's. Got his bike back with only a few scratches.

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne as of 12/5/2014. If you have an Airborne question please contact them directly.

NeedGod.com
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Be careful out there! Whew!

About 2 years ago, one of our customers put his Marauder on the back of his trunk rack and didn't strap it down properly (or forgot). He was flying down the highway and heard a noise, to look back and see his Marauder skipping down the highway. By the time he could get turned around and go back, someone had made off with it.

Fast forward a week or so, he was looking on craiglist for a used cheap bike since he didn't have the money for another new one, and he found his bike on there listed by the folks who made off with it. He called them, told him he wanted to buy it, set up a meeting, then showed up with some LEO's. Got his bike back with only a few scratches.

Jeremy
    Seriously, someone stole it from the time it fell off his car until the time he realized it and turned around? What is wrong with people?
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Re: Airborne Literally

Sorry, no pics. Happened during rush hour on a four lane highway. It was quite the fiasco just to recover the bike with all the traffic.

I was in a rush, and forgot to synch down the wheel straps, on my Yakima rack. The down tube was attached firmly and locked, but apparently that was not enough.

Anyone have the 1up roof rack? Curious about good & bad feedback about this rack.

mtbr member

Airborne Literally

I have the 1 up roof rack. I like it. Holds nice a sturdy. The bike does move just a little bit but this is my first rack so it may happen with most other racks. It's real quick and easy to load and unload though.

mtbr member
    On the top of my SUV I have the Viper trays:

Yakima Viper roof Bike Rack

I like roof systems that hold the bike by the fork ends; I think that's the most secure way and it doesn't damage any paint. For 15mm and 20mm thru-axles I have adapters.

On the rear I have the Hold Up:

Yakima HoldUp 2" hitch Bike Rack

I generally carry the bikes on the rear with the Hold Up unless I have a lot of bikes and then some go on the roof. Mounting the bikes on there is simple and fast, and keeps them out of harms way. My only complaint on the Hold Up is that if you have a fat-bike you need to use some sort of strap on the rear wheel as the stock one isn't long enough to get around the 4" tire and rim. I had one other complaint about the plastic "soda" bottle opener on the rack, it sucked and broke the first time I used it, but for this year they fixed it and added a metal lip inside of it.

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne as of 12/5/2014. If you have an Airborne question please contact them directly.