mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Airborne for kids?

My title asks it all I guess. Has Airborne considered producing some kids bikes? Maybe there's no margin in them??

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Great question! My daughter just learned to ride her 20" beach cruiser a couple days ago. I am already looking at a more advanced bike with gears and front suspension, hoping she can get into some mild mtn bike rides. I am SHOCKED that these bikes are running $400-$500 from the big name brand manufacturers! Was hoping maybe Airborne had an option...

Airborne Product Dude
    At this time we don't have any plans to make kids bikes. While we'd love to, there is too much compeitition out there (like at WalMart, SportsChalet, Meiijer, etc, etc) to allow us to make a quality kids bike at a price that would allow us to keep our doors open.

We appreciate the thought and the suggestion though!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    That makes sense!

MTB Fanatic
    Kids bikes are a joke. The big chain stores sell kids bikes that are heavier than a bag of bricks with full suspension and stuff they can't even use like hand brakes that are too big for their little hands.

Just once I'd like to see a moderately prices kid bike that's just a basic fully rigid frame with kid-sized hand brakes and isn't a total piece of junk.
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    ^^^^x2

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    i agree ....

the other day i saw this little kid riding a trek hardtail (26) and I have no idea how he was even able to get on it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    My five-year-old son rides a Specialized Hotrock... It's very no-nonsense, rigid, high-quality, has "adult"-type components (a real stem with four-bolt bar clamp, nice kid-friendly pedals, non-stupid geometry and good tires) and only 16 pounds stock. He loves and rides it all the time. About $200... I think that's very reasonable. They're out there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    My 7 yo girl rides a Hotrock 20 6spd as well. It was $350 at my LBS which prompts a desire for something more for less. But there is the coaster version too. It just wasn't available when we got hers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeinMinn View Post
    My 7 yo girl rides a Hotrock 20 6spd as well. It was $350 at my LBS which prompts a desire for something more for less. But there is the coaster version too. It just wasn't available when we got hers.
    I also got the Hotrock 20 for my grandson but got the coaster bike for $250. Nice aluminum bike though. He loves it and I think Airborne could in fact make one for that price and sell a whole bunch of them.

MTB Fanatic
    I've seen the Hotrocks around at the bike shops. They are usually $350 but I have seen them on Craigslist for $280. That's pretty steep for something the kids will outgrow in 2 years, but I wouldn't mind paying for quality. As soon as my daughter starts riding her little baby bike regularly, I would consider that purchase.

I have to agree with Airborne on this one. Most people wouldn't spend that kind of cash on a bike for their kids and would instead go with a Wal-Mart bike or something similar. Especially since the kids will leave it out in the front yard, driveway, middle of the road, etc.
    Nathan