Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Airborne HobGoblin?

71K views 362 replies 61 participants last post by  kustomz 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone,

Finally I can post a new thread since losing my complete "newbie" status! :)

Just curious, I've been in the market for a new 29" mountain bike for awhile. I was originally drawn to the Airborne Goblin based on the value proposition. However, since I currently ride a full suspension bike (albeit ANCIENT at ~12 years old), I've decided I want to spend the $ on a full suspension bike.

I recently learned of the upcoming HobGoblin and it intrigues me. I guess it is going to start off at ~$1700 with X7 components. That seems to be a great value.

I've searched these forums and I'm surprised at how little info I've been able to dig up. I *think* the HobGoblin is supposed to arrive sometime in September.

Anyone else out there have any info for us anxiously waiting? :)

Pete

#2 ·
Due to component supply issues we are forced to push the HobGoblin availability back to October. Soon we will have the HobGoblin webpage up with info, photos, and a pre-order offer. Sorry about the delay!

#4 ·
The HobGoblin (4" travel XC 92er) and the Toxin (7" travel FR/Park bike) are the two newest models that use 7000 series tubing, Both of them are due for October delivery.

We are also doing XO and Frame-only version of the HobGoblin and Goblin bikes, and a frame-only of the Toxin. All are for October delivery so look for a webpage for all of that soon!

#6 ·
The HobGoblin (4" travel XC 92er) and the Toxin (7" travel FR/Park bike) are the two newest models that use 7000 series tubing, Both of them are due for October delivery.

We are also doing XO and Frame-only version of the HobGoblin and Goblin bikes, and a frame-only of the Toxin. All are for October delivery so look for a webpage for all of that soon!
What is the difference with the 7000 series tubing?

#21 ·
Trust me if I could tell you (err........were allowed to tell you) more I would! Due to a couple supply issues running this close to production there are a few things about the spec, and therefor final price, that we can't put out yet in "print" because it may change. Its frustrating to wait...........

In general the industry is hurting from supply issues because no one was prepared for the uptake in sales this past year. Many manufacturers and suppliers have been caught with their pants down. Whether it was due to mostly good riding weather in most of the US, people thinking there is an upturn in the economy, Generation X finding out its getting fat and needs to excercise, who knows?

All I know is that it has made my life difficult as a product manager scrambling to find parts and make substitutions that dont change the origina price/design/function/timing parameters......

Jeremy

#24 ·
Jeremy, i understand about keeping a lid on the final build, but i assume geometry is already final? can we know about that? I'm not trying to be a weeny, but my farthest concern is components.. i am looking for frame details to see if this is my next bike... I am ready to pre order on launch day, provided the geo suits me.. any way to get on a mailing list for the info when it is available?

im soooooo ready to get one of these!!! i want 1,221,313 more pictures!!!!

evan @401carpenter.com

#26 ·
Still suffering here from supplier issues.

I won't go into details as to whom the culprits are because I don't want to be "that guy". All I can say is that I'm watching production dates slip by as we are waiting. We are suffering from the same issues on the Toxin Freeride/Park bike as well.

At this time I don't want to give any product details, even angles. As soon as we can give more info we will, thanks!

Jeremy

#31 ·
Hmmm that is interesting... Not that I have a neg view of Airborne since most bikes are made in China or Taiwan now anyway but I'm assuming the Goblin frame is sourced the same way too then? Looks like Kinesis makes lots of frames. I'm still interested in the Hobgoblin and the Goblin. Wish you guys could come out to the east coast(PA,NJ,NY,CT area) so I can demo your bikes. Look forward to seeing the final version of the Hobgoblin.

Welcome to Kinesis Website

#32 ·
No, the Goblin is not made that same way. Frames like the Goblin, Guardian, Skyhawk, Delta, Wingman, etc are all 100% inhouse designs.

That HobGoblin frame is the first one we have done by tweaking an open-source frame from Kinesis. The reason for this is that being small, we don't order great enough quantities to make minimums for respected companies like Kinesis to make wholesale brand new dual suspension designs for us. The tooling expense is in the many parts like pivot arms, etc. Until we can order thousands at a time on something like this we have to work with open-source dual frames and make a deal with Kinesis to modify them to our specifications.

What this means in relation to the frame that Fezzari is using is that we have tweaked several parts including angles, lengths, and the seat-tube is different in regards to how it is made and pivot arm attachment. In a way it is still our design, at least our bike is. We also have put extensive test-riding hours into ours which has aided our development.

I hope that makes sense, thanks.

#37 ·
That's a "Makes sense" type answer and totally understand, just thought you guys were big enough to do this sort of stuff on your own, didn't think you were a smaller company than say Banshee, Niner etc.

Sounds like if you've got the right riders who know there thing to help with the design tweaking, you could have something good there, will be interesting to see what pricing is like and if there'll be a frame only option at some point. Wish you guys the world of luck sourcing/getting those parts, seems to be a major headache for anyone who isn't one of the "Big" boys right now.

Oh and have to agree, good and smart to have a presence on an active MTB forum.

#34 ·
Thank you for the very detailed explanation. I think it's great that a rep is actually on the mtbr forums answering questions. Sometimes smaller companies like Airborne is much like a breathe of fresh air. So any updates for the Hobgoblin? Any chance of a demo fleet making it out to the east coast?

#35 ·
Thanks! I know it sounds like a broken record, but I don't have any update on the HobGoblin. We keep getting dates that then come and go. Right now we are at the mercy a supplier that keeps missing deadlines for parts and are past the point of being able to change to a different supplier due to current long industry lead times. I won't throw any company under the bus because that's not my style, but it is very frustrating.

On a brighter note, we are looking at doing some more consumer-type events next year and one of them is the entire Gravity East DH series. If we do go, in addition to some DH rigs we will bring a few XC rigs for folks to check out.

Jeremy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.