Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    Here is a quick pic. I need to lower the seat post and put my pedals on tonight:

mtbr member
    XL I assume, judging by the stem length. Did it come with the Thompson post?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The bike is a 19 inch. I bought the Thompson 410 post because I thought I might need more room due to my 36" inseam.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    mbakes,

Looks great!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Set it up a bit at lunch. The 19" seems to fit but I can't believe how big this bike is with the 29" wheels. It is a pretty strange feeling being on a bike that is so high off the ground and physically large, especially when I am used to riding my road bike. It dwarfed my old hard tail mountain bike. Not sure what I think at this point.

Airborne Product Dude
    Thought you guys might like an advanced preview of the new HobGoblin ad that drops this week in the latest issue of Decline.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Airborne HobGoblin?-decline_hobgoblin_ad.jpg  

Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Good looking ad, good looking bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbakes View Post
    Set it up a bit at lunch. The 19" seems to fit but I can't believe how big this bike is with the 29" wheels. It is a pretty strange feeling being on a bike that is so high off the ground and physically large, especially when I am used to riding my road bike. It dwarfed my old hard tail mountain bike. Not sure what I think at this point.
    you could start by getting rid of all of your stem spacers and possibly a shorter/drop stem all together .

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Nice ad. The bike is every bit as good looking in person.

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEJCE View Post
    you could start by getting rid of all of your stem spacers and possibly a shorter/drop stem all together .
    Thanks. I'm going to work on the fit. My fit issue is that I have long legs and a short torso which is why I have a custom frame on my road bikes. My comment was more that the bike is just physically large with the 29" wheels. I'm guess it's just a matter of riding and getting used to it.

mtbr member

NeedGod.com
    I experienced the same feeling of riding on a monster truck when I started on my 29er. I imagine it's a little different on a FS. I quickly got used to it though.

One thing that really helped me was lowering the stem and eventually flipping it upside down.

By the way, thanks for posting the pic. This is the first pic I know of taken by a customer.
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yeah, I got the same thing when I first rode my 29er. Now it feels totally natural and my old 26" bike feels like a toy. You'll get used to it.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I think the first thing I do tonight is flip the stem, removing spacers or both (thanks, CYCLEJCE). The more I think about it the more I think being in such an upright position is probably adding to the feeling of the bike being large.

MTB B'dos
    The only reason you should feel "ontop" as compared to "in" the bike is if the BB height is drastically different between your old frame and the HG. What you should notice is the handling should feel a bit better because relative to the axles you should be more "in" the bike. i.e. your CG in relation to the axles is lower and hence cornering should be improved. Check the fork and shock pressures, make sure you don't have them jacked up too high for your weight.

As to fit, I'd have thought that with a long inseam like that and if you say you have short arms you'd be running a shorter stem - that looks like a 120mm to me. How tall are you with that 36" inseam? Is that the stock bar and what width?

Thanks. I'm going to work on the fit. My fit issue is that I have long legs and a short torso which is why I have a custom frame on my road bikes. My comment was more that the bike is just physically large with the 29" wheels. I'm guess it's just a matter of riding and getting used to it.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The stem came with the bike and have not had a chance to play around with fit beyond some seat post and seat adjustment. I bought the smaller frame to accomodate my shorter torso. I'm 6'2". My road bike has a 54 tt ctc and a 59 ctc st.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Lookin' good, mbakes! Can't wait to hear your ride report. Think you'll get out in the morning?

**BRENT**

mtbr member
    May 2012
    My first ride will be Saturday. I flipped the stem and dialed in the fit a bit more by moving the saddle back a bit which has improved comfort.

Airborne Flight Crew

Wow.

Hobgoblin arrived this evening.

Wow.

The frame is off the hook. Beautiful paint, beautiful tubes, and I'm a big fan of the multi-link design. Got it thrown together pretty easy:

Unpacked/wrapped in about 20 minutes. Threw it in the stand, flipped the stem around, installed the bars, then the front wheel (Kudos for Airborne using the same size allen heads on all the stem hardware). With the exception of pedals, the bike is ready to go in 30 minutes. Only needed two different sized wrenches. (of course, be sure to double-check ALL nuts n bolts before going for a ride!).

Mine (a 17" inch) is performing well on the bathroom scale test at ~30lbs, stock setup, no pedals. That's pretty darned svelte for such a bike I'd say. Plus, it's a real looker... ;D

Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

MTB B'dos
    I'm curious to see a pic of you on the bike, from your description and your bikes it seems your legs are oddly longer proportionately than your arms I'm 6'2.25" and have a 35.25" inseam and arms to match, hence although a lot would say just going by my height I shouldn't ride an XL, when they see me on one of my bikes they quickly reassess their comment. Really interested to read some none vested thoughts on this bike and the suspension.
    The stem came with the bike and have not had a chance to play around with fit beyond some seat post and seat adjustment. I bought the smaller frame to accomodate my shorter torso. I'm 6'2". My road bike has a 54 tt ctc and a 59 ctc st.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    May 2012
    A friend of mine saw the pic of my bike and pointed out that I may have received a 120mm stem instead of the 105 that is supposed to come with the 19". I received the info on the way in to the office so I will confirm at lunch today.

Yes, I have a short torso/arms and long legs. I don't think it will be a problem fitting the HG. It will just take a little tweaking.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Took my first ride today. Did about 5 miles on the trails and had a blast. I have not mountain biked in at least ten years and that was on a 26r hard tail. It took a good 10 to 15 minutes to start to get used to the wheel size. These trails have a lot of tight areas so I still need some work on my handling skills. I think I may change out the tires. They did not seem to hold tractions on some areas, which caused my one fall. Overall, my impression was very good. I do not have must to compare to so my opinions won't help anyone much in making a decision. So far no brake squeals. My old bike had XT shifters and I think I prefer them to the SRAM. I felt I had a lot of accidental shifts because my thumb would hit the shifter while riding over bumps. I will give it some time to get used. Looking forward to tomorrow mornings ride.

mtbr member
    Took my first ride today. Did about 5 miles on the trails and had a blast. I have not mountain biked in at least ten years and that was on a 26r hard tail. It took a good 10 to 15 minutes to start to get used to the wheel size. These trails have a lot of tight areas so I still need some work on my handling skills. I think I may change out the tires. They did not seem to hold tractions on some areas, which caused my one fall. Overall, my impression was very good. I do not have must to compare to so my opinions won't help anyone much in making a decision. So far no brake squeals. My old bike had XT shifters and I think I prefer them to the SRAM. I felt I had a lot of accidental shifts because my thumb would hit the shifter while riding over bumps. I will give it some time to get used. Looking forward to tomorrow mornings ride.
    Glad you like it... I may pick up a frame after Santa visits next week. When I went to SRAM triggers (always used twisties), I too had the mis-shift issue. With a bit of trial and error I realized that you have to move the units toward the stem more. Doing so puts everything in the right place. Might want to take alook at getting SRAM Matchmakers, too.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by toddre View Post
    Glad you like it... I may pick up a frame after Santa visits next week. When I went to SRAM triggers (always used twisties), I too had the mis-shift issue. With a bit of trial and error I realized that you have to move the units toward the stem more. Doing so puts everything in the right place. Might want to take alook at getting SRAM Matchmakers, too.
    Thanks. I realized part through the ride that the shifter were too close to the grips so I stopped and moved them over a bit. I think I am going to push them in a bit further. This did help.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks. I realized part through the ride that the shifter were too close to the grips so I stopped and moved them over a bit. I think I am going to push them in a bit further. This did help.

That is the first thing I noticed on my black Goblin, when I first sat on it and familiarized myself with the controls. Moved the shifters and the brakes in. I have to consciously try to shift, there is no way I can do it with out it being intended.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    On the trail today:

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast