Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    There are no color options on the shock, it's white only. We think the white looks good!
    Will agree to disagree on the looks. Just the Orange frame with Black linkage and Black Decals>> a black shock just seems like the obvious choice (if there were one)

I am sure the bike will look awesome regardless and when it comes down to it, looks are secondary to performance.

Having a new Goblin, I was day dreaming about getting this frame (come bonus time) and switching out what I could so I could have another option as I get back into riding. And then eventually buy what I need to have two complete bikes.

Airborne Product Dude
    Yeah we can't please everyone, no worries!

I've got an orange frame-only coming to me in the next week that I'm going to build up. I'll be certain to post up some photos so you can check it out. I'm going to have a white reba on it so it should tie it all together nicely.
    Airborne Dude.

MTB Fanatic
    I think the bike looks amazing! I do have one question. Does the position of the shock make a difference in the ride? For example, the Salsa Spearfish has a shock mounted on the top tube, while the Hobgoblin has it mounted on the seat tube.

I've ridden about 5 or 6 FS bikes, but just for demo purposes. I never really noticed a difference, but I'm a noob to the FS world.
    Nathan

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Barheet View Post
    I think the bike looks amazing! I do have one question. Does the position of the shock make a difference in the ride? For example, the Salsa Spearfish has a shock mounted on the top tube, while the Hobgoblin has it mounted on the seat tube.

I've ridden about 5 or 6 FS bikes, but just for demo purposes. I never really noticed a difference, but I'm a noob to the FS world.
    Thanks!

There's a bunch of suspension designs out there, and depending on the design the shock mount orientation changes. Just the orientation of the shock itself doesn't necessarily influence the ride.

This is a good read on suspension designs for both experienced riders and noobs. Take a look.

Buyer's Guide To Mountain Bike Suspension, Part 2 - BikeRadar

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OilburnerDe View Post
    Will agree to disagree on the looks. Just the Orange frame with Black linkage and Black Decals>> a black shock just seems like the obvious choice (if there were one)

I am sure the bike will look awesome regardless and when it comes down to it, looks are secondary to performance.

Having a new Goblin, I was day dreaming about getting this frame (come bonus time) and switching out what I could so I could have another option as I get back into riding. And then eventually buy what I need to have two complete bikes.
    I thought the same thing. But you can accent it nicely. With a white fork and then white grips and maybe white pedals if you ride flats.

I was the same was with my zeppelin. Till I started changing things around.

Before
    Airborne HobGoblin?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1352995747.550450.jpg

After
    Airborne HobGoblin?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1352995799.138168.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    everyone has different opinions about color options. personally, i like the contrast of the black fork on a white frame.

mtbr member
    I would assume that when buying in bulk, the white would be less costly, helping them reach the price point of $1749. Every little bit counts!

MTB B'dos
    Looks very nice indeed and the parts pick is quite good for that price, although I would toss the Avids immediately and replace with XTs. Curious what your policy is on a longer fork to slacken things out a bit and what type of riding would you say this thin could handle with a 120mm or even 130mm fork on it? Also curious about frame+shock weight? Most interested in frame only.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

Airborne Product Dude
    Plenty of people are happy with Elixirs, including me. I have no desire to put Shimano components on our bikes due to customer service issues, rep issues, and lead time issues.

Frames are built around 100mm travle fork ATC and that's all we recommend.

More info on frame onlys to be released soon, thanks.
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Sweet! I only need about $1500 more!!!!! I NEED this bike!

One day!!
    www.getbusylivin.org

Redline Monocog Flight 29er
    Specialized Rockhopper 26er

MTB B'dos
    Can't say I concur, not only my Avids were a PITA and needed constant bleeding, but so have countless others belonging to other riders I know. I won't buy another Avid brake until their QC improves. As for Shimano maybe having crappy CS, doesn't bother me as once I buy a bike and get it down here to the Caribbean I'm S.O.L anyways with warranty etc., same for any other place outside the US I'm guessing.

Plenty of people are happy with Elixirs, including me. I have no desire to put Shimano components on our bikes due to customer service issues, rep issues, and lead time issues.

Frames are built around 100mm travle fork ATC and that's all we recommend.

More info on frame onlys to be released soon, thanks.
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Can't say I concur, not only my Avids were a PITA and needed constant bleeding, but so have countless others belonging to other riders I know. I won't buy another Avid brake until their QC improves. As for Shimano maybe having crappy CS, doesn't bother me as once I buy a bike and get it down here to the Caribbean I'm S.O.L anyways with warranty etc., same for any other place outside the US I'm guessing.
    I don't like the fact that this thread about our new product has devolved into an Avid versus Shimano brakes debate, especially on a bike that is built to hit a $1749 price-point and the bikes it goes up against (the Trek SuperFly AL 100 and Specialized CamberComp) use the same Avid brakes or a lower grade of Avids (Elixir 1's which are basically the old Juicy 3's with a few tweaks).

Let's say I throw XT's on there. Now the bike is nearly $2000 retail. And it's going to arrive in February or March now because Shimano NEVER delivers on time and has the worst communication of ANY supplier I have ever dealt with. My US Shimano Rep is non-existent as far as I can tell. Emails and phone-calls to him fall into a black hole, never to be returned. Its been this way for years, even when I worked for another bike company.

Just because you, and a few of your friends or folks that commiserate together on MTBR have had issues with some Avid brakes doesn't mean they are bad. I have never had any problems in the years I have been riding them and on my own personal bikes I currently have sets of Elixir R's, Elixir CR's, XO's, Elixir 7's, and Elixir 9's all in use on my bikes with no issues. None of the folks here in the office or others I ride with have had any issues. If give value to your small sample rate as being statistically valid, then you have to give equal credit to mine.

Respectfully, everyone wants to play product manager and while I usually appreciate the input, in this case I really don't. I would prefer that you keep this discussion on target, especially given the fact you are really interested in frame-onlys.

Info on the frames as far as weight and pricing will be up soon, thanks.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

MTB B'dos
    Sorry if I've derailed your marketing thread discussing a part you specd on your bike, but that is the price you pay for using a forum to do your sales and marketing, stuff gets discussed and not everyone shares your personal opinions. Fact is lots of people buy complete bikes knowing full well that not everything on it is what they want and already know they'll be replacing them as to them it's worth it to them.

I noted a simple statement going from personal experience, other riders I know and lots of reading around the WWW about not liking the brakes specd on the bike and you've taken it as some sort of attack. Yes you met your price point using the Elixir 3s, and that's what it's all about, wouldn't expect you to use anything else as you must be getting killer pricing from SRAM using everything from them. You could also have met your PP or a bit higher with the Shimano Deore which are super impressive for the cost. Also saying you've never had trouble with the specd brakes and yet you have only used 7s or better makes you saying the 3's are good not reallt relevant - there is a big difference between even the 5's and 7's, won't even talk about the 3's & 7's .

BTW, you're telling me, Joe Public, that I can pick up a set of XTs with ice-tech rotors for about $300 US shipped and you, big bicycle company would have to tack on $250 US for OEM XTs over the Elixir 3s, seriously?

I don't like the fact that this thread about our new product has devolved into an Avid versus Shimano brakes debate, especially on a bike that is built to hit a $1749 price-point and the bikes it goes up against (the Trek SuperFly AL 100 and Specialized CamberComp) use the same Avid brakes or a lower grade of Avids (Elixir 1's which are basically the old Juicy 3's with a few tweaks).

Let's say I throw XT's on there. Now the bike is nearly $2000 retail. And it's going to arrive in February or March now because Shimano NEVER delivers on time and has the worst communication of ANY supplier I have ever dealt with. My US Shimano Rep is non-existent as far as I can tell. Emails and phone-calls to him fall into a black hole, never to be returned. Its been this way for years, even when I worked for another bike company.

Just because you, and a few of your friends or folks that commiserate together on MTBR have had issues with some Avid brakes doesn't mean they are bad. I have never had any problems in the years I have been riding them and on my own personal bikes I currently have sets of Elixir R's, Elixir CR's, XO's, Elixir 7's, and Elixir 9's all in use on my bikes with no issues. None of the folks here in the office or others I ride with have had any issues. If give value to your small sample rate as being statistically valid, then you have to give equal credit to mine.

Respectfully, everyone wants to play product manager and while I usually appreciate the input, in this case I really don't. I would prefer that you keep this discussion on target, especially given the fact you are really interested in frame-onlys.

Info on the frames as far as weight and pricing will be up soon, thanks.

Jeremy
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Sorry if I've derailed your marketing thread discussing a part you specd on your bike, but that is the price you pay for using a forum to do your sales and marketing, stuff gets discussed and not everyone shares your personal opinions. Fact is lots of people buy complete bikes knowing full well that not everything on it is what they want and already know they'll be replacing them as to them it's worth it to them.

I noted a simple statement going from personal experience, other riders I know and lots of reading around the WWW about not liking the brakes specd on the bike and you've taken it as some sort of attack. Yes you met your price point using the Elixir 3s, and that's what it's all about, wouldn't expect you to use anything else as you must be getting killer pricing from SRAM using everything from them. You could also have met your PP or a bit higher with the Shimano Deore which are super impressive for the cost. Also saying you've never had trouble with the specd brakes and yet you have only used 7s or better makes you saying the 3's are good not reallt relevant - there is a big difference between even the 5's and 7's, won't even talk about the 3's & 7's .

BTW, you're telling me, Joe Public, that I can pick up a set of XTs with ice-tech rotors for about $300 US shipped and you, big bicycle company would have to tack on $250 US for OEM XTs over the Elixir 3s, seriously?
    Let it go...... buy the bike and replace the brakes then....

mtbr member
    I personally think all your fancy brakes suck. I removed them all and out fitted my bike with the metal rod brake from the mining cart in Indian jones and the temple of doom.

Boy are those hills fun when the rod breaks and I have to use my foot!!

Seriously dude. You think we cant search the net like you for reviews?? My bike has brakes from Tektro that everyone hates. They are fantastic tho. Go figure.

And my fiances bike has shimano brakes and they are total sh!t.

Airborne Product Dude
    Also saying you've never had trouble with the specd brakes and yet you have only used 7s or better makes you saying the 3's are good not reallt relevant - there is a big difference between even the 5's and 7's, won't even talk about the 3's & 7's .:
    Go back and read what you originally wrote. You were speaking to Avids in general, and so was I. Now you are just being argumentative.

You aren't privy to what things really cost in OE terms, all you know is what you can find on deals, bargains, and close-outs.

By the time I add the OE cost of the rotor and brakes together, I am spending more than $60 more per wheel to add the XT's. That means the retail of the price has got to go up by approx $200.

Sorry if I've derailed your marketing thread............
    I'm done speaking with you about this. If you want to argue, please go find someone else to argue with.

Thanks,

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    buy the frame and put whatever brakes on it that makes you happy. bike companies can't please everyone with the specs ..... and i've seen many companies use those avids on more expensive bikes.
    and who complains about this kind of stuff on a $1700 bike?

MTB B'dos
    That's just it, I never complained, said I'd buy the complete bike and just replace the brakes right away, that's it, Jeremy got upset about that little statement right there. Anyone who's dealt with bikes for a while knows companies cut corners when specking completes, to hit a certain price point, you either buy them like that and replace what you don't like or buy a frame and build up as you like.

Quote Originally Posted by CaTiRo View Post
    buy the frame and put whatever brakes on it that makes you happy. bike companies can't please everyone with the specs ..... and i've seen many companies use those avids on more expensive bikes.
    and who complains about this kind of stuff on a $1700 bike?
    As to my Avid experience, of the about 20 guys I know who own and use Avid, 75% of them have had problems with them, generally after not long they hit a good DH and because they aren't properly pre-bled, they have air in the system and it expands locking off the caliper onto the rotor.

You know until I made the smallest of mention of not liking a part on your build, you came across as a level person with some good sense, now I'm "arguing" and derailing your marketing spiel and you're pissed because I called a Spade a Spade - I'm wondering if you maybe didn't have a job before at Chumba.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer
    I'm done speaking with you about this. If you want to argue, please go find someone else to argue with.

Thanks,

Jeremy
    Sorry if I've derailed your marketing thread............
    Well I never said anything bad about Tektro, from what I've seen on a few different brand bikes with the new ones they seem to be quite good actually. Just recently had experience with the Dracos and quite nice, but no long term on if they'll stay that way or not. So far on the Shimanos, from low to high, all I've seen is good results. I personally was sick of having to constantly bleed my Avids every month or two, much prefer my current Stroker Trails and just waiting for the XTs to come in stock in what lever/caliper combo to order a set..
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    ..........Seriously dude. You think we cant search the net like you for reviews?? My bike has brakes from Tektro that everyone hates. They are fantastic tho. Go figure.

And my fiances bike has shimano brakes and they are total sh!t.
    Last edited by LyNx; 11-16-2012 at 09:42 AM.
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

Airborne Product Dude
    - I'm wondering if you maybe didn't have a job before at Chumba.
    I don't even know what or who Chumba is, nor do I care for that matter. Am I supposed to?

I'm certain that was some sort of thinly-veiled insult, that I probably don't get since I don't spend as much time on here as you do, given your post count. Hence my label of you as being "argumentative".

Please, just go to some other sub-forum if this is what your participation here is going to be like.

Thanks,

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

MTB B'dos
    You are the argumentative one, you got all flustered from this one little statement, that's it, that's all I wrote and you went off on your tirade. Sadly this is MTBR, not Airborne's personal forum, where opinions are allowed and encouraged once kept civil and no trolling.
    Looks very nice indeed and the parts pick is quite good for that price, although I would toss the Avids immediately and replace with XTs.
    ...........Please, just go to some other sub-forum if this is what your participation here is going to be like.

Thanks,

Jeremy
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have a question regarding the frame (and probably a more gerneral Airborne bike quesiton)
    The cable routing guides that are welded on the frame. Would the black plastic clip piece be included? Can these be bought as spares for existing complete bikes?
    I was working on my new goblin at dusk in my front yard and lost one in the grass. It took me a while but I located it. But I imagine these things will get lost in the future in a cable snag or crash.

Airborne Product Dude
    I have a question regarding the frame (and probably a more gerneral Airborne bike quesiton)
    The cable routing guides that are welded on the frame. Would the black plastic clip piece be included? Can these be bought as spares for existing complete bikes?
    I was working on my new goblin at dusk in my front yard and lost one in the grass. It took me a while but I located it. But I imagine these things will get lost in the future in a cable snag or crash.
    Thanks for getting this discussion back on track.

Ahhh, the clips. We would just use zip ties during production on complete bikes, but unfortunately zip ties can trip up CPSC testing because if not cut nicely they can present a "laceration hazard".Seriously, who has ever cut themselves with the end of a plastic zip tie??

So, like most manufacturers, rather than worry about how the factory may cut the zip ties we use the clips. On all of our personal bikes, and bikes that we build up for local pick-ups, the clips get thrown in the trash and replaced with zip ties. I recommend that you do the same. Plus then you get the added bonus of using different color ones if you want to add some accents to your bike.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Nutz, I actually dig the clips. Have a nice clean-finished look to it.

Besides, using cable ties will add all that extra weight!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    i can't wait to see a review on the hobgoblin. i hope to find an omnihouse video on youtube in the near future.

Airborne Product Dude
    Nutz, I actually dig the clips. Have a nice clean-finished look to it.

Besides, using cable ties will add all that extra weight!

If you use the small cable ties they weigh less than the clips!
    Airborne Dude.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast