Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by betorac View Post
    Counting down the days...

Jeremy,
    Can you comment on the pedaling efficiency of the Hobgoblin compared to the Goblin? Do you notice a big difference with losing energy as a result of pedal bob? Will the Hobgolin have a lockout?

I currently have a high single pivot bike like your Zeppelin, and the pedaling performance is unsatisfactory. Hopefully switching to new Fox CTD shock will help. Especially concerned with long fire road climbs and out of saddle pedaling.

thanks.
    Have the same issue on my zeppelin elite

mtbr member
    Yeah there is no comparison between pedalling efficiency on the Zepp and the HobGoblin: the HobGoblin wins hands down. The HobGoblin climbs and pedals great!

Single pivots aren't necessarily bad, in fact they work great for a lot of gravity oriented bikes and are certainly easier to maintain than complicated multilink systems. But generally they don't climb as well and can suffer occasionally from brake-jack.

The HobGoblin in both standard and XO format will have a lock-out rear shock.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy
    Homebrewer, Patriot, Amateur Photographer

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Jeremy,

Ok, I know you've been hush-hush on this b/c of the issues mentioned previously in this post. Any chance there are some updates you can give us regarding the HG? I am seriously considering upgrading this winter and believe a full sus 29er is in order (I talked to you about this at the Midwest Outdoor Experience). Chomping at the bit for some specs on this bike and the competition it is aiming at. I think I am leaning toward Spec. Epic Comp, Giant Anthem or Niner Jet 9. I love the business model and the fact that you guys are local. Also might toss my hat in the flight crew ring. Anywho, is there anything more you can feed us? i can't be the only one out there feeling this way.

Thanks,

Keith

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Yeah there is no comparison between pedalling efficiency on the Zepp and the HobGoblin: the HobGoblin wins hands down. The HobGoblin climbs and pedals great!

Single pivots aren't necessarily bad, in fact they work great for a lot of gravity oriented bikes and are certainly easier to maintain than complicated multilink systems. But generally they don't climb as well and can suffer occasionally from brake-jack.

The HobGoblin in both standard and XO format will have a lock-out rear shock.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy
    What is brake-jack?? I'm still new sorry

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikr94 View Post
    Jeremy,

Ok, I know you've been hush-hush on this b/c of the issues mentioned previously in this post. Any chance there are some updates you can give us regarding the HG? I am seriously considering upgrading this winter and believe a full sus 29er is in order (I talked to you about this at the Midwest Outdoor Experience). Chomping at the bit for some specs on this bike and the competition it is aiming at. I think I am leaning toward Spec. Epic Comp, Giant Anthem or Niner Jet 9. I love the business model and the fact that you guys are local. Also might toss my hat in the flight crew ring. Anywho, is there anything more you can feed us? i can't be the only one out there feeling this way.

Thanks,

Keith
    I heard Jeremy was going to China to oversee some production runs...can we assume these are HobGoblin runs?!?! Given prior posts, we should get specifics in the next week hopefully...

Pete

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Pete,

Yeah, I guess i am assuming there will be HobGoblin runs. Possibly Toxin too. I know this bike is supposed to be ready for pre-order in about a week or so...

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    What is brake-jack?? I'm still new sorry
    I can't explain the dynamics behind the geometry as to why it happens, but:

Brakejack happens on single pivot suspension when you apply the rear brake while going over rough spots or bumps in the trail. The brake action effectively locks out the suspension, so your rear shock is not moving while going over bumps, resulting in a harsh, hardtail like feel.

Multi link suspension (DW, Maestro, and what is found on the Hobgoblin) remains active under braking, so you can blast in to a rock garden with the back wheel locked (not the recommended tactic), but the suspension will still soak up the bumps.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Just a teaser....or two........I can't give you any more info that this at the moment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Airborne HobGoblin?-assembly-hg.jpg  

Airborne HobGoblin?-hg-frameset.jpg  

mtbr member
    Just a teaser....or two........I can't give you any more info that this at the moment.
    That orange won't match my pink gloves. Gonna need you to fix that. Thanks for the pics. Def wanting one!!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Looks like internal cable routing, HUGE pivot bearings, and press-fit BB. Great job, guys!! Cant wait to get my hands on one!

NeedGod.com
    Awesome!
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Jeremy,

Saw these pics on FB this AM. thanks for posting them here too. Awesome pics, now I'm gonna wait and see what you tell us about the bike. Love the orange, too bad it's not gonna be available complete. Maybe someone would wanna swap?

NeedGod.com
    Jeremy,

Saw these pics on FB this AM. thanks for posting them here too. Awesome pics, now I'm gonna wait and see what you tell us about the bike. Love the orange, too bad it's not gonna be available complete. Maybe someone would wanna swap?
    Just buy the complete bike AND the orange frame. Then you can swap it out yourself and mount the blue frame on the wall in your house! Win/Win!
    Nathan

mtbr member
    dang.... maybe I should've saved more money and gone with an FS :x

the matte white goblin frame is amazing as well. I'd swap that out on my guardian any day.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Is the orange the frameset only HobGoblin? If so where do I send money!?

I decided I want to build up my HobGoblin myself, because I really want a 15mm or 20mm front axle and all the pics I've seen look like all of the complete hobgoblins have 9mm QR.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by swildnm View Post
    Is the orange the frameset only HobGoblin? If so where do I send money!?

I decided I want to build up my HobGoblin myself, because I really want a 15mm or 20mm front axle and all the pics I've seen look like all of the complete hobgoblins have 9mm QR.
    Framesets only come in orange, but if you want a complete with a 15mm Maxle we do have one being built, it's the XO model and it is a different color all-together.

mtbr member
    OK, one more teaser.........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Airborne HobGoblin?-hobxo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the teaser pics BDF!

Super excited to get pricing info on this soon...

Pete

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I kinda forgot about the xo version of this bike. man, probably gonna be out of my budget..

Pete, I like being married too much to do what you suggest ;-)

Keith

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm definitely excited for the Hobgoblin X7 build! I cant wait to see the complete specs so I can make a final decision whether to get this or a Giant anthem/trance 29er.

Value aside, I wonder how the Hobgoblin's system compares to the Giant's Maestro rear suspension system. Maybe Bigdaddy could chime in or someone with experience on an prototype. Im not knowledgeable on these things and its really the only thing missing in my book to fully come to side with a hobgoblin.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by westsid3r View Post
    I'm definitely excited for the Hobgoblin X7 build! I cant wait to see the complete specs so I can make a final decision whether to get this or a Giant anthem/trance 29er.

Value aside, I wonder how the Hobgoblin's system compares to the Giant's Maestro rear suspension system. Maybe Bigdaddy could chime in or someone with experience on an prototype. Im not knowledgeable on these things and its really the only thing missing in my book to fully come to side with a hobgoblin.
    Exactly my considerations too! Would love to get thoughts on this....

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    That makes 3 of us. I haven't ridden a Giant yet but I would like to know the comparisons too. I wish the reg. HG was coming through w/ the 15mm Maxle

Keith

mtbr member
    That makes 3 of us. I haven't ridden a Giant yet but I would like to know the comparisons too. I wish the reg. HG was coming through w/ the 15mm Maxle

Keith
    For the pricepoint we will be selling it at, much like what we are doing with the Goblin, it's not possible. Sorry. We can't have everything~!

But the XO version does have the Maxle.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    let me know if you need any testers

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    For the pricepoint we will be selling it at, much like what we are doing with the Goblin, it's not possible. Sorry. We can't have everything~!

But the XO version does have the Maxle.

Jeremy
    I am glad I re-read this! I first read it as saying the HG was not comparable to the Giant because of the price point...did not first realize you were talking about the Maxle!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast