Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15
    mtbr member

Airborne HobGoblin?

Quote Originally Posted by hedz0r View Post

That's quite the rock garden.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'm looking to purchase a Hobgoblin frameset soon for a winter build. However, I only saw the Hobgoblin in orange. Can I get the frameset in blue?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Don't think so. Complete build in blue or frame set in orange are the only options at this point as far as I know. I do like that orange quite a bit. You don't?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Actually I'm back and forth on the colors right now. The orange does look pretty nice. I have a blue color scheme going with my current bike so the components will probably look fine with the orange.
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    Don't think so. Complete build in blue or frame set in orange are the only options at this point as far as I know. I do like that orange quite a bit. You don't?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    The frame was really built around using a 2x10 set-up, and that's what we use on our production bikes. We've never installed a triple in one.

That being said, in our frame drawings it looks like there is enough space for a 24/32/44 triple set-up.
    So you'd have to try it to see if it fits. I wish I had a better answer than that but hopefully that helps a little bit......
    Jeremy
    Jeremy posted this a year ago. Has anyone tried a triple on this bike yet? Jeremy...any updates on this?

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Centurion_ View Post
    Jeremy posted this a year ago. Has anyone tried a triple on this bike yet? Jeremy...any updates on this?
    We haven't built one up with a triple. It looks like it should fit fine, but like I said it wasn't designed around it necessarily.

Maybe someone will chime in here who built one up with a 3xXX set up and can offer real world feedback.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    I am considering a wheel upgrade for my Hobgoblin. Been pretty much out of this sport for a decade, and I have a couple of stupid questions.

First one is, what do I need to know about axels for my purchase? I mean, the Charger Pros I am looking at spec Quick Release, QR15, 20mm Thru-Axle Front Axle Options, and quick Release, 13512, 14212 Rear Axle Options.

My Hobgoblin has quick release front and back. Is that all I need to know when buying a set of wheels?

Also...as a reference point and for comparison, can anyone tell me the weight of the wheels that come standard on the Hobgoblin?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I am considering a wheel upgrade for my Hobgoblin. Been pretty much out of this sport for a decade, and I have a couple of stupid questions.

First one is, what do I need to know about axels for my purchase? I mean, the Charger Pros I am looking at spec Quick Release, QR15, 20mm Thru-Axle Front Axle Options, and quick Release, 13512, 14212 Rear Axle Options.

My Hobgoblin has quick release front and back. Is that all I need to know when buying a set of wheels?

Also...as a reference point and for comparison, can anyone tell me the weight of the wheels that come standard on the Hobgoblin?
    I bought a set of Black Flag Experts and they spec the same way. They come with adapters/inserts for the various sizes. I use the Quick Release inserts for front and rear. But, if I ever need thru-axle options I have them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    If I recall rightly, they weigh in around 2200g for the pair.

mtbr member
    Thanks Mike. That helps quite a bit.

Also...is anyone using a Wolftooth 42 tooth cog on their 2x10 drivetrain? How's it working out? I'm not yet sure my 24X36 will be small enough with 29 inch wheels. Lots of climbing here in Northern Arizona.

Just Ride!
    Tell me more about this bike... what other suspension designs have you ridden to compare the HobGoblin with? I am not a racer, just recreational rider that is looking to make the jump to FS after riding 29er hardtails since 2005. I am really liking the price, so it won't take much more convincing.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by kustomz View Post
    Tell me more about this bike... what other suspension designs have you ridden to compare the HobGoblin with? I am not a racer, just recreational rider that is looking to make the jump to FS after riding 29er hardtails since 2005. I am really liking the price, so it won't take much more convincing.
    Hi Kustomz,

What do you want/need to know?

The suspension feels quite similar to the Giant Maestro system, and pedals better than the Specialized FSR designs (climbs way better than the FSR, unless the shock is locked out - then they both climb like hard tails). It pedals awesome under direct force (accelerating or punchy climbing) and keeps in contact with the ground through the most technical technical terrain without skipping or loosing grip.

If you're really hammering the pedals at high speed, it's smooth - very little suspension induced bouncing, you can feel the power go directly to the wheels and it does not interfere with your pacing.

Steering is neutral but responsive, and it's quite stable at high speeds.

I've ridden this bike on various terrain in Colorado and New Mexico, from long alpine climbs to hair-raising descents at eye-watering speed. It's a great set up for XC/trail riding, and if you're used to 29ers you should feel at home on this bike pretty quickly.

Here's the bike in action on some central NM terrain, it's sort of an old video but I think it's still relevant... If there's anything more specific you'd like to know, let me know.

ABQ from J Hazard on Vimeo.

Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    The suspension feels quite similar to the Giant Maestro system
    I guess that helps give me some food for thought since that is the only full suspension design I have ever had the chance to demo.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15