Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    MTB B'dos
    Personally I think the 21" would suit you better, especially if you're using it for it's intended purpose - XC. I have your same inseam with long arms and will not ride a bike with an ETT shorter than 25", especially for XC. Not sure what bar/stem it comes with, but know that swapping out a stock stem and/or bar on a bike for fit is something that most likely should happen unless you happen to fall magically right into the numbers the stock bike was designed for - i.e. stock 21" says from 6'1"-6'4", so if you're on the low side of this you might need a shorter stem to get the fit right, on the taller side, maybe a longer stem.

Quote Originally Posted by bravodog1 View Post
    I would hate to have to buy additional parts. Do you think the 21 will be too big?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Airborne Product Dude
    I would hate to have to buy additional parts. Do you think the 21 will be too big?
    Like Lynx said, often when buying a bike you need to buy additional pieces/parts to dial in fit. Especially when you are sort of right in the middle of two different size possibilities.

Manufacturers generally make mountain bikes in 4-5 sizes per model, with static stem/post specs for each size. Since human beings vary greatly in regards to proportions (even between folks of the exact same height), getting the perfect fit often requires a little extra work.

Certainly you can ride the 21 with no problems. Stand-over is great on the HG and on the 21 the stock seatpost will be long enought for you. However, with the 21 you may need to purchase (aftermarket) a shorter stem to bring the bars back a bit.

Hope that helps a bit!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks Jeremy. That definately helps out. My concern with going 19 is having the height on the seat post that high. I've always ridden with the the seat almost level with the top on the stem. I mostly do xc with light trail riding. nothing too extreme so the tossability might not be too important as long as the 21 doesnt interfere with manueverability. Right now I'm riding an old specialized. not even sure what size, but I'm way to big for it. By dropping the cash on this bike, just want to be sure I choose right and if I chose the 21 and found out I did need the 19, what is your exchange policy, if any? I deffinately will be buying an airborne and want to be happy with my choice.

Airborne Product Dude
    Thanks Jeremy. That definately helps out. My concern with going 19 is having the height on the seat post that high. I've always ridden with the the seat almost level with the top on the stem. I mostly do xc with light trail riding. nothing too extreme so the tossability might not be too important as long as the 21 doesnt interfere with manueverability. Right now I'm riding an old specialized. not even sure what size, but I'm way to big for it. By dropping the cash on this bike, just want to be sure I choose right and if I chose the 21 and found out I did need the 19, what is your exchange policy, if any? I deffinately will be buying an airborne and want to be happy with my choice.
    The 21 has a taller headtube than the 19, so with the stem in the upward rise position you have a greater chance of getting the seat and bars near the same plane level.

The 21 will have a longer wheelbase which adds increased stability, but gives up a little "flickability". That may not be a big deal for you as you say. The important thing is fit and comfort, and how you feel during the ride and at the end of the ride in the parking lot.

The last thing we want is for you to get a bike you don't want or doesn't fit. It doesn't happen often, but when it does we work with folks to make it right. If that happens call us and we'll figure it out.

Like I said I doubt you could go wrong either way. It sounds to me like the 21 may be the better fit for you as it is less agressive and will get your bars and seat height closer to each other. I personally would pick the 19 for myself but I also can ride the 21. There's another guy here at our office who is just a little taller than me and he rides a 21" HG (its the orange one with XX1 and carbone wheels on it I've posted photos of on here before). I can ride his bike and it feels good too. My personal preference just happens to be the smaller bike of the two..............but like I always say everyone is different!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Hobgoblin Review

mtbr member
    nice

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by betorac View Post
    Gave my 2 cents worth to Guitar Ted.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffharris1us View Post
    Gave my 2 cents worth to Guitar Ted.
    I thought it was a good review. And agree with your response. I have the xo and it weighs 27.5 lbs. May not be the lightest but its a lot lighter than the enduro I was riding so it seems like a feather to me! Guitar Ted is good and I think covers all grounds for all riders. Most people who really pay attention to weight which you covered are probably going to look at a racing level bike which I think was his point. Great conversation on both parts. Nice to see Airborne getting some good credit out there. I do like seeing my bike on the opening page of mtbr!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Congrats on the bike. I would love to see some reviews of the XO bikes, both Goblin and Hobgoblin.

I agree that G Ted does a fair job in his reviews.

I am just sensitive about the weight thing, because it is all relative. Not sure it's totally fair to act like the HG is heavy when all other comparable bikes have similar weights. So, what is the HG supposed to weigh at it's price point?

I would argue that it weighs exactly what it should for the awesome price.

Airborne Product Dude
    If you guys notice I tend to be fairly tight-lipped when it comes to what I think about reviews when they are written about our products. Part of that is the fact that these products are "my babies" so I feel its hard for me to sound impartial, and part of it is out of respect for folks that take the time to review our product and write about it.

I think for the most part all of the reviews on the HG have been good.

While I don't necessarily agree with comments about the weight and old-school geo, I do appreciate the feedback and keep things in mind when working on the product for the next run or re-vamp. The same way I do with comments from you guys and all of our customers. It helps us, and the product, become better.

Thanks!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Well one thing about reviews I have come to believe. If they cannot find somthing negative they will create one. Would make for a boring and potentialy phony sounding review to find zero negative things to say.

His riding experience with the HG was spot on the way my experience has been. As far as weight I think he was just mentioning it. I personally do not notice the weight when I ride it since the bike is a whole is far less fatigueing on me then my former hardtail. I also did not understand the "old school 29er geometry". Anyway as reviews go it was def. more positive then negative.

mtbr member
    Well I know one thing I love mine! There is no other out there for $2999 with XO setup! Thanks Airborne!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    LyNx. what size are you riding? do you hava pic?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Getting really close to ordering the hobgoblin and a few weeks. I test rode a large specialized camber 29er yesterday. the fit was good and almost exact same geometry as the 19 HG. So I think thats the size I will be going with. I'm thinking the 21 might be too big. After remeasuring my inseam at 34" and my height just shy of 6'1 I think Jeremys recomendation of the 19 will be the best fit. Cant wait to order.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    My hobgob looks like it is showing up on tuesday. this weekend is going to suck!

MTB B'dos
    Don't have a HG Brav, have ridden an XL/22" Giant Trance, XL Paradox and now on XL Prime and Monkey. Run a 65mm stem and 750-785mm wide bar on the Prime which has a 25.4" ETT, run an 80mm stem and 760mm wide bar on the Monkey which has a 24.5" ETT and used to run a 80-90mm stem and 750mm wide bar on the Paradox. Again 6'2", 35.25" inseam.
    LyNx. what size are you riding? do you hava pic?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    New 21" Hobgoblin X7 just came in today, super stoked! Can't wait to get it together and hit the trails this weekend! Love that new bike smell

mtbr member
    Congrats! Take some pics! You gonna love that bike its awesome!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

We the people ...

Got my 17" HobGoblin X7 today! got it all assembled and slightly upgraded (carbon bar, carbon seat post, chain stay protector, lock on grips, shorter stem (white stem is ugly imo). Had to tweak some settings on the front and rear derailleurs since both seemed to be off. And I'm still trying to dial in the reba fork (dual air is confusing...) and monarch shock. I have it set pretty well now but i know some more tweaking will happen before the weekend. I did get a short ride on it today (5 singletrack miles) and it was like riding on a cloud compared to my hardtail.

I think I will be very happy once all the tweaks are made.

Thanks Airborne!

-EDIT: I hate the avid elixir 3's... stopping power on the front seems lacking. Hopefully some XT's or SLX brakes are in the works, but that will have to wait until next month when i have spending money again

mtbr member

Gettin' it together

I was able to get my Hobgoblin X7 assembled last night without any issues. I can tell that I'm going to need a wider bar as the stock bar seems quite narrow to me. It may be ok for the small/med frames, but it's just not too comfortable for me and it does make the front end seem a touch twitchy. I'm riding the 21" and I'm 6'3" in case you're looking for fit info. I've got some Ergon's that I'm going to put on and I'm thinking about going tubeless. Not sure how much of a pain in the butt that's going to be though with this wheel set. Anyone done it with these? Other than that, I'm lovin' it. Has any one tried out Helicopter tape on their frames for scratch/ding protection? I ordered some and I'm going to try it out. It's clear so I dig that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by strfyeing View Post
    I was able to get my Hobgoblin X7 assembled last night without any issues. I can tell that I'm going to need a wider bar as the stock bar seems quite narrow to me. It may be ok for the small/med frames, but it's just not too comfortable for me and it does make the front end seem a touch twitchy. I'm riding the 21" and I'm 6'3" in case you're looking for fit info. I've got some Ergon's that I'm going to put on and I'm thinking about going tubeless. Not sure how much of a pain in the butt that's going to be though with this wheel set. Anyone done it with these? Other than that, I'm lovin' it. Has any one tried out Helicopter tape on their frames for scratch/ding protection? I ordered some and I'm going to try it out. It's clear so I dig that.
    I just went tubeless with the i19's last week. It was pretty easy. I just cut the valves out of the tubes, taped the rims with gorilla tape, made a 1:1:2 homebrew of slime:latex mold builder:RV antifreeze. Popped the tires in place with CO2 cartidges. Not difficult.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hedz0r View Post
    -EDIT: I hate the avid elixir 3's... stopping power on the front seems lacking. Hopefully some XT's or SLX brakes are in the works, but that will have to wait until next month when i have spending money again
    Agreed. I went with some SLX's from blue sky cycling. Best deal I could find.

BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano SLX M675 IceTech Disc Brake w/ Adapter

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mklint000 View Post
    I just went tubeless with the i19's last week. It was pretty easy. I just cut the valves out of the tubes, taped the rims with gorilla tape, made a 1:1:2 homebrew of slime:latex mold builder:RV antifreeze. Popped the tires in place with CO2 cartidges. Not difficult.
    Thanks! Good to know so I can ditch these tubes

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Few pics from today's ride. Such a sweet ride!

mtbr member

Airborne HobGoblin?

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast