Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    mbakes,

Thanks for the reply. I am pretty much in the same boat as you here in OH. I haven't ridden a fs bike to any length. We have a few places where fs is not necessary but I am thinking that for the logevity of my body, I might want fs. I wish the HG XO was cheaper--I really would like the parts spec so much more. Maybe get the Goblin XO and then change frames in a couple years who knows.

Keith

mtbr member
    May 2004

Clyde rider

How would the suspension react to a 275 lb rider? would it bob alot when pushing it?

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf57 View Post
    BDF. Will a 15" frame fit a full size h2o bottle?
    Unfortunately, we couldn't get the water bottle mounts down the DT any further for fear of interfearing with the shock. A full-size bottle probably isn't going to fit, at least according to our drawings. We don't have a 15 here at the office at the moment but will in a week or so. I can verify for you then.

I'm looking to possibly pull the trigger on this soon but am a little put off by the starting weight...
    For the pricepoint for a FS 29er that's actually a very good weight. But from where you are coming from, riding a 20lb HT, I can understand the concern at adding 10lbs of weight to your ride. I've been there and done that! All I can say is that once I spent some time on it I never noticed the extra weight. We're due to get a few demo HG's here in the office in the next week or so if you want to demo one on some frozen trails.

How would the suspension react to a 275 lb rider? would it bob alot when pushing it?
    If you air up the shock to match your weight you should be good. Although keep in mind at your weight you are approaching the top-limit of the amount of air you can put in an air shock.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    For the pricepoint for a FS 29er that's actually a very good weight. But from where you are coming from, riding a 20lb HT, I can understand the concern at adding 10lbs of weight to your ride. I've been there and done that! All I can say is that once I spent some time on it I never noticed the extra weight. We're due to get a few demo HG's here in the office in the next week or so if you want to demo one on some frozen trails.

Jeremy,

Hey, just so you know, I meant no disrespect. I definitely realize that the price point and parts spec are going to impact the bike weight...I am definitely interested in demoing a HG when you get them in the office! Could you pm me or let me know when you get them in?

Thanks!

Keith

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikr94 View Post

Jeremy,

Hey, just so you know, I meant no disrespect. I definitely realize that the price point and parts spec are going to impact the bike weight...I am definitely interested in demoing a HG when you get them in the office! Could you pm me or let me know when you get them in?

Thanks!

Keith
    No worries Keith, I didn't take it that way at all.

If you ride a 17 I have one in now. I *think* if I remember correctly you either ride a 17 or 19. Otherwise, I'll let you know when the 15 and 19 get here.

Thanks!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Jeremy,

Yes! I am thinking the 17 is the right size. I know on the Goblin, the 18 felt best. I'd rather go smaller than larger. Well, as soon as these trails freeze up, I'll hit you up. Thanks!

Keith

Airborne Product Dude
    OK. Saturday could be the day!

I'm planning on riding then provided the current weather forecast holds true.......

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

Airborne Product Dude
    Vital just wrapped up their big test session, and the HobGoblin was one of the bikes tested. Look for a feature on it soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Airborne HobGoblin?-s1600_airbornegallery.jpg  

Airborne Dude.

Motocrosser Turned MTBer
    Feb 2013
    Hello, My name is Shawn. I am looking at the HobGoblin. I don't have any Airborne dealers near me, but have taken a liking to this brand. I am curious what frame size you might suggest for me. I currently have a 2013 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29 in the 19 inch frame size. Since I can't test fit one of these bikes, I was hoping you guys might have an idea what would work best. I am 6'3", 160 pounds. I have a 32-34 inseam depending on jean company. Hoping you guys may have some wisdom for myself.

Airborne Product Dude
    Hey Shawn, welcome to the Airborne forum.

You don't have any Airborne dealers near you because we don't sell thru dealers; that's what helps us keep costs down. There's no extra overhead built in for them so we pass that savings along to the customer.

What is you *actual* inseam? Probably something like 35 or 36? Measure it from crotch to floor, standing in socks.

I'm 6'1" with a 35ish inseam and ride a 19" HG with a 110mm stem. My HG fits me great but with a 410mm Thomson post I am near max post extension (and that's for the frame design, not the post max line).

My gut feeling is that if you have a similar inseam to me, but are 2 inches taller, you should think about the 21".

If you want, give our customer service group a call and talk about sizing. You'll want to have a few measurements handy like height, inseam, arm length, and torso length. Let us know what sort of riding you are looking to do and whether you have any biomechanical issues like bad back, neck, etc.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

Airborne Product Dude
    For all of HobGoblin owners, we've now got a full rebuild kit on our website. We've also listed out the bearing#'s and torque specs for those of you who like to do your own wrenching.

Airborne Bicycles. HobGoblin Rebuild Kit

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Struggling on size here.

On a Santa Cruz Superlight 29, I fit in as a large. I'm just at 6' maybe a tad under depending on day. jeans are 32" inseam as are my slacks. sleeve length at 34. Large here as well on the Hobgoblin?

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by bdrex28 View Post
    Struggling on size here.

On a Santa Cruz Superlight 29, I fit in as a large. I'm just at 6' maybe a tad under depending on day. jeans are 32" inseam as are my slacks. sleeve length at 34. Large here as well on the Hobgoblin?
    I'm thinking you want a large in the HG as well. The 17" may be a little short in the ETT for you, and you'd definitely need a longer post for it. The HG has a lot of stand over clearance (30" for the large/19) so you'll be good.

Unless you are looking for something small and compact, go for the large.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Is it possible to order with a change to the wheelset or is it just a complete bike as is with no changes?

Airborne Product Dude
    Hey there,

It's a complete bike with a static spec that can't be changed. You could always buy it as-is and roll the stock wheelset over for some $$$ to offset the expense of a different wheelset.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

official eMpTyBRain
    Forgive me if this has already been discussed but are Airborne and Fezzari one in the same? The Hobgoblin and Hidden Peak frames look identical.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Forgive me if this has already been discussed but are Airborne and Fezzari one in the same? The Hobgoblin and Hidden Peak frames look identical.
    No. I believe they use the same frame manufacturers across seas and ended up choosing the same design that the MFR. offered. I believe Jeremy said it was because they don't order enough in bulk to get their own design.

Airborne Product Dude
    They look similar, but not the same. While we develop and design independantly almost all of our frame designs, in the case of a full suspension design we needed to partner with a large frame-maker to work on the HG design. Fezzari is also using the same tubeset, but there are a lot of differences that came out of us doing a lot of ride testing and design tweaks, as we went thru 3 generations of changes/protos before we were happy with the result.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have a HG demo that I finally got to ride on a dry trail. Thought I would offer up an impression from that ride.

First off, I am coming from a 26" HT. I have been riding for almost 20 years and would consider myself intermediate. There are a ton of variables that enter into my experience going from the 26" HT to a 29" FS. I won't really bore you but wanted that out there on the table.

Basically, I loved my ride! I wanted to like this bike so, there is probably some bias b/c of that. ;-)

I felt as though I was faster (again, probably b/c I was predisposed to wanting to be faster) but had no real ability to measure that. Maybe I should hook up a computer and have at it again...

One of the real concerns for me is the weight difference from my 20# HT to this bike that is about 30#. I can honestly say that I did think about it but it never felt like it was hindering my ride. I've heard people say you don't notice heavier weights when riding 29er's. Maybe there's some truth to that...nevertheless, I will be ordering lighter wheels and tires when I order my HobGoblin.

So, yes, I will be purchasing a HobGoblin in the near future...anyone wanna buy a 26" HT?

Keith

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Soon to be an owner of a hobgoblin but not sure what size. Im 6'1 with 35 inseam and fall in between the 19 and 21. Not sure which on to go with.

mtbr member
    im 5'11 and got the 17 so id say 19! However call Eric or Jeremy at Airborne they will help you out. I thought I should have got the 19 but glad they helped me out in getting the 17 its perfect! Or download size my ride or bike on iTunes pretty cool app!

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by bravodog1 View Post
    Soon to be an owner of a hobgoblin but not sure what size. Im 6'1 with 35 inseam and fall in between the 19 and 21. Not sure which on to go with.
    I don't know your arm length, but it seems as though you and I are almost the exact same size in terms of inseam and height. You're correct, you could ride either a 21 or 19. The 19 offers more stand-over clearance and is a little more "tossable", but the flip-side to that is that you would need a longer seatpost (410mm) to have enough insertion so that the frame isn't compromised.

I've attached a pic of my personal HobGoblin for reference. Maybe this will give you a better idea of what yours would look like if you went with the 19.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Airborne HobGoblin?-jeremyhobgoblin.jpg  

Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Measurements
    -------------------------------------------
    Inseam: 35
    Trunk: 26
    Forearm: 14.5
    Arm length 27.5
    Thigh: 26.5
    Lower Leg: 25
    Sternal Notch: 61.5
    Total Body Height: 72.5

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by bravodog1 View Post
    Measurements
    -------------------------------------------
    Inseam: 35
    Trunk: 26
    Forearm: 14.5
    Arm length 27.5
    Thigh: 26.5
    Lower Leg: 25
    Sternal Notch: 61.5a
    Total Body Height: 72.5
    Thanks!

You could ride either size, but I would lean toward the 19. With your inseam, you will need to pick up a 400mm post to ensure proper insertion depth. As we have the exact same inseam your post will be as high as mine is for proper leg extension.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I would hate to have to buy additional parts. Do you think the 21 will be too big?

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast