Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Sorry about 2 posts, could only get 1 pic to upload in first one.

All in all it is a very nice bike. No regrets after seeing it in person.
    Looking forward to getting out on it this weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Airborne HobGoblin?-image.jpg  

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffharris1us View Post
    Hey Jerry, those of us in the Midwest that still have plenty of snow in the front yard are not amused.

You can take your fancy-schmancy new FS 29er and your warm/dry climate and....
    Enjoy your new build!
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

MTB B'dos
    What size is that Mwm70, stem looks quite long? Again, interested to hear ride reports from those NOT affiliated with Airborne. Curious, are the graphics under the clear coat or ontop? Not a fan of the absurdly huge DT logo.

Really like the look of these bikes and they're a great deal, only wish I didn't not like SRAM stuff so much, although I guess you could just sell the SRAM drivetrain & brakes and replace with Shimano stuff
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    What size is that Mwm70, stem looks quite long? Again, interested to hear ride reports from those NOT affiliated with Airborne. Curious, are the graphics under the clear coat or ontop? Not a fan of the absurdly huge DT logo.

Really like the look of these bikes and they're a great deal, only wish I didn't not like SRAM stuff so much, although I guess you could just sell the SRAM drivetrain & brakes and replace with Shimano stuff
    It is a 21". Stem feels a touch long so I might switch that out. Did not pay attention to decal will let you know about that and impression after first trail ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Good looking bike mwm70. What was wrong with the headset? What did you do to adjust it?

Airborne Product Dude

The graphics are under clear, but I guess there's always the option of stripping and repainting if you don't like our "subtle" graphics.

You may be better off considering getting a frame-only versus a complete, if you end up wanting to sell the SRAM stuff anyway it might be cheaper and less hassle in the end to just get the frame.

J.
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    It was over tightened slightly for shipping. I loosened the stem bolts and then hex bolt in the top cap then retightened the top cap bolt gradually until there was no play in the headset. Holding the front brake and rocking the handlebars to and away from you until the "slop or play " is gone then tighten stem bolts to secure.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Enjoy your new ride!

MTB B'dos
    I think you guys should consider offering the frame in RAW with a sticker kit and those who don't mind the gawd awful huge logo could install them and those of us who like a bit more subtle wouldn't. Could also offer a more subtle decal set, you know about 40-50% that size

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    The graphics are under clear, but I guess there's always the option of stripping and repainting if you don't like our "subtle" graphics.

You may be better off considering getting a frame-only versus a complete, if you end up wanting to sell the SRAM stuff anyway it might be cheaper and less hassle in the end to just get the frame.

J.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Or you could strip down the frame instead of asking the manufacture to do it. The reason Airborne is so price competitive is b/c they don't offer 20 colors and such.. If they offered blue, green, orange, red, and raw you would be paying $3k for a hobgoblin..

just saying

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I think you guys should consider offering the frame in RAW with a sticker kit and those who don't mind the gawd awful huge logo could install them and those of us who like a bit more subtle wouldn't. Could also offer a more subtle decal set, you know about 40-50% that size
    You can't please everybody. Airborne offers a quality high value product at great prices. Why is there always somebody picking it apart about some detail. "Why can't it have this fork? These brakes? Why can't the graphics be smaller/bigger/redder/greener....?"

Sandpaper is cheap... If you want a bare frame you can have one. Wouldn't take long to sandblast a frame, I'd bet it wouldn't cost much to have it done.

I think it looks great. Of course it really doesn't matter to me because I want one to RIDE.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by swildnm View Post
    You can't please everybody. Airborne offers a quality high value product at great prices. Why is there always somebody picking it apart about some detail. "Why can't it have this fork? These brakes? Why can't the graphics be smaller/bigger/redder/greener....?"

Sandpaper is cheap... If you want a bare frame you can have one. Wouldn't take long to sandblast a frame, I'd bet it wouldn't cost much to have it done.

I think it looks great. Of course it really doesn't matter to me because I want one to RIDE.
    Cost me about $100 last time I sandblasted a frame - but careful, sandblasting does heat up the aluminum and can affect heat-treating. Honest, google it. Aircraft stripper works nicely as long as you have a warm environment...

That said - good point Its an incredible value, and I don't mind the graphics so much...
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

Airborne Product Dude
    We actually appreciate all thoughts and comments about our products, as long as they are done in a tasteful manner ("that sucks" commentary probably won't be received well ).

I don't mind the comments on the paint, graphics, etc. Everyone does have different tastes and like most companies, we try to please the most people but can't hit a homerun with everyone every time.

I'd like to think that one of the things that makes us different is the fact that we are approachable/interactive and do listen to our customers. For example, a lot of the changes that were done to the current black Goblin to make it different/better than the former green one were the result of customer input and feedback.

At this point we can't offer an additional colorway or raw option on the HobGoblin, but we can take it into consideration for future versions. I will say that from a branding standpoint that I personally dislike not having decals under clear, because I think it looks "cheap" and runs the risk of the decals coming off with use. But that's just my opinion.

Thanks a bunch and keep the suggestions coming! Oh and the weather is going to be warm this weekend here in Ohio, so don't forget to get out there and ride.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Would I have preferred a more subtle logo, probably but in the end, it's about the bike. The HG is an excellent value, the look was not much of a consideration. I agree with BDF, decals need to be under clear or they do look cheap on a bike frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    We actually appreciate all thoughts and comments about our products, as long as they are done in a tasteful manner ("that sucks" commentary probably won't be received well ).

I don't mind the comments on the paint, graphics, etc. Everyone does have different tastes and like most companies, we try to please the most people but can't hit a homerun with everyone every time.

I'd like to think that one of the things that makes us different is the fact that we are approachable/interactive and do listen to our customers. For example, a lot of the changes that were done to the current black Goblin to make it different/better than the former green one were the result of customer input and feedback.

At this point we can't offer an additional colorway or raw option on the HobGoblin, but we can take it into consideration for future versions. I will say that from a branding standpoint that I personally dislike not having decals under clear, because I think it looks "cheap" and runs the risk of the decals coming off with use. But that's just my opinion.

Thanks a bunch and keep the suggestions coming! Oh and the weather is going to be warm this weekend here in Ohio, so don't forget to get out there and ride.

Jeremy
    Understood, and you do a great job of it. But I find
    gawd awful huge logo
    to be over the top. I think you've done I fine job of explaining how you provide the product you do at this pricepoint. I've changed a lot on my Guardian as I grew as I've grown as a rider, and found that I was commited to cycling. And I fully intend to order a Hobgoblin XO in March. But I already have changes in mind for it to fit me. Wider bars, shorter stem, different fork, dropper post. But it is still a hell of a deal as is. And the parts that come off I can either reuse on another bike or sell. I guess my point is that the price is so good you can afford to customize.

MTB B'dos
    I stick to my comment about the logo, it if frikin HUGE, not only is it a very bold font, it's also just physically as big as the DT will allow it to be AND the contrast they use of white on dark blue, or white on Orange for frame only makes it even worse. Just take look at the any of the Big3s bikes, not even they have such HUGE logos. Will agree though, logos ontop of clear coat do not look as finished and will get scratched and damaged much easier, although Turnerites have been doing it this way for a very long time

I do think though that these bikes are great value, but if I only bought stuff on performance laone
    Understood, and you do a great job of it. But I find
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Gawd Aweful Huge logo
    to be over the top.
    We actually appreciate all thoughts and comments about our products, as long as they are done in a tasteful manner ("that sucks" commentary probably won't be received well
    Jeremy
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Airborne Product Dude
    Understood.

The black on the orange doesn't seem to stand out too much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Airborne HobGoblin?-hobgoblin-john-bryan.jpg  

Airborne Dude.

Need 4 Speed
    Jan 2013

cane creek angleset headset

If I was to use an angleset like the cane creek would I be able to use a 120-140mm fork? If so, would this make the Hobgoblin's suspension unbalanced?
    Thank you in advance on any and replys.

Airborne, I like what you guys and gals are doing. keep up the great work.

P.S. 650b/27.5....Just saying.

Airborne Flight Crew
    it if frikin HUGE... Just take look at the any of the Big3s bikes, not even they have such HUGE logos...

I'd say that's a bit larger than Airborne's - that 'fsr" doesn't even fit on the tube! (all in good fun!)

I agree, the logos on Airborne ARE huge, but they don't really bother me, I kinda like it actually. But where the big three might not blast their name in huge legible letters down the side, they do give the bikes a pretty big graphic makeover a lot of the time - something I don't care for.

One thing for sure though - Airborne listens to their customers. Maybe the logo thing will change in the future.

BTW, LOVING the Hobgoblin. Great job Airborne!
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post

I agree, the logos on Airborne ARE huge, but they don't really bother me, I kinda like it actually.
    This. I think the new style Airborne logos are tasteful. I've even considered getting my green Goblin powder coated and using the new logos on it I like them so much. Very simple and easy to read. I like to be able to read the logos on bikes as I pass on the trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    BigDaddy Can you get a Hobgoblin frame kit with no paint?.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

Airborne Product Dude
    Sorry, all of our frames are painted, decalled, and cleared at the factory.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Rider4Life View Post
    If I was to use an angleset like the cane creek would I be able to use a 120-140mm fork? If so, would this make the Hobgoblin's suspension unbalanced?
    Thank you in advance on any and replys.

Airborne, I like what you guys and gals are doing. keep up the great work.

P.S. 650b/27.5....Just saying.
    (Sorry that I somehow missed this question earlier)

Thanks for the kind words!

OK, on the HobGoblin the frame design is based around a 100mm fork. While you can put a 120mm fork on there, doing so will void the frame warranty as it is outside of the design parameters of the frame. We test all of our frames to the strict EN14766 European standards but the passing test results are based on a 100mm fork. Anything beyond that is unpredictable as far as frame longevity goes.

From a performance standpoint a 120mm fork will slacken the HT and ST by a degree or two and also raise the BB. 140mm will probably be extreme as far as slack and BB height.

Also, I'm not super versed in the Angleset, but I think the last time I checked they didn't have one for 1 1/8 to 1 1/2 inch IS-style headsets.

Thanks again,

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

Need 4 Speed
    Jan 2013
    (Sorry that I somehow missed this question earlier)

Thanks for the kind words!

OK, on the HobGoblin the frame design is based around a 100mm fork. While you can put a 120mm fork on there, doing so will void the frame warranty as it is outside of the design parameters of the frame. We test all of our frames to the strict EN14766 European standards but the passing test results are based on a 100mm fork. Anything beyond that is unpredictable as far as frame longevity goes.

From a performance standpoint a 120mm fork will slacken the HT and ST by a degree or two and also raise the BB. 140mm will probably be extreme as far as slack and BB height.

Also, I'm not super versed in the Angleset, but I think the last time I checked they didn't have one for 1 1/8 to 1 1/2 inch IS-style headsets.

Thanks again,

Jeremy
    Thank you Jeremy. Your quick response means alot. Very impressed with the bikes and the company.

mtbr member
    I like the big logo. In fact, bigger by a factor of 2 or 3 would be nice... wrap right around the tube. All subjective, yes? Objectively, you can't get more bike for the money. Now if it just came in a 650B...

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast