mtbr member
    Jul 2012

airborne guardian vs trek cobia

Hey all,

So I definitely already ordered a Guardian and I am definitely excited but a 2012 trek cobia just popped up on craigslist in awesome shape for the same price as a new guardian. I'm wondering if I should cancel and get it instead. On the surface it doesn't look like theres much difference between the 2, but I'm wondering if theres something I'm missing by being a noob and all that would make it worth doing so.

Heres a link to both to see specs: (actually nvm i'm too new here to post links )

differences seem to be: (cobia vs guardian format)

sram x5 10speed vs 9speed
    RockShox Recon Silver TK 29 100m (cobia) vs RockShox XC28 TK Mg29 guardian
    Deore front derailleur cobia vs sram x3 guardian
    tektro auriga hydraulic brakes vs hayes comp hydraulic
    SRAM S800, 44/33/22 crank vs Truvative E400 22-32-42T
    Shimano M475 alloy hubsBontrager AT-850 disc 29 32-hole rims vs Weinmann Disc Bull Double-Walled with Eyelets, 32H - KT HiFlange 32H hubs

some other stem, seatpost differences
    Last edited by justinope; 08-04-2012 at 09:31 AM. Reason: title

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Cobia has an air fork that weighs 4.5lbs. The XC 28 weighs 5lbs. and is a good coil spring fork. The Cobia's geo suggests it might handle a little quicker. I'd get the Cobia if possible.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    ahh ok, I'm going to look at it tomorrow

mtbr member
    I would vote Cobia as well. It's just one step down from the X-cal and I have made a big improvement on my trail riding the X-cal. Good luck!!
    Mongoose Summit Pro
    Gary Fisher Tassajara
    Motobecane Fantom Trail DS
    Trek 2011 X-Caliber

banned
    Apr 2009
    Read the threads about TREK's (if you are not the original owner)--and see if seller will warranty a break (if it happens.)

Knowing that (anything you buy used with no warranty--get it cheap) because mountainbikes break.

Also that TREK will have a G2 fork (51mm offset) when all others are 44-46mm. So you might end up having to buy a new frame and be stuck with a G2 fork...

NOW I am not knocking the TREK (I am Mr. TREK Actually) and think they have the best frames, best geometry and best warrany (for original owner.)

The best thing I did health wise ever to to buy a used Paragon 3.5 years ago (and got 3.5 years of riding for a frame i got a STEAL on... My knees and (bad back) feel 20 years younger.

I like the Airbornes (from what i have seen) but i would never get a bike without riding it (I bought a Paragon frame and built a bike 3.5 years ago)--but i rode them first... ALSO I like supporting my local LBS (especially with a bike that will need service)---but that is if you buy something new----

--I would have test rode a fre TREK 29ers (then you should see the Geometry difference)--I could and I was a Newbie then...

ALSO can someone tell me what the warranty is on the Airbornes??
    Last edited by 247; 08-04-2012 at 03:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Lifetime frame for the original owner.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I decided I'm just going to stick with the guardian. They are definitely comparable bikes and I'd rather keep a new bike warranty than none at all :x

thanks for the input all

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by justinope View Post
    I decided I'm just going to stick with the guardian. They are definitely comparable bikes and I'd rather keep a new bike warranty than none at all :x

thanks for the input all
    Excellent choice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Please keep us all posted on your continuing experience with Airborne ( the company) as well as the bike. ( guardian). I'm very interested in that model. Thanks for the info!