mtbr member
    May 2012

Airborne Guardian Vs Airborne Zeppelin Elite

I do not want a 26er vs 29er, HT vs FS, or any other bikes included in this comparison.

I have my heart set on getting a bike from Airborne. I have narrowed it down to these two bikes and, well, I just cant decide. I really don't know much about the components on the two bikes besides the drive train, shifters, f and r derailleurs are better on the zeppelin elite.

Specs below:

Zeppelin:
    Airborne Bicycles. Zeppelin Elite

Guardian:
    Airborne Bicycles. Guardian

Based on specifications and visual appearance, which would you chose and why?
    (I don't want biases, just what you would get if you had to pick between the two)

local bike dr.
    Aug 2012
    The Zeppelin has better drivetrain components, but they are out of stock in my size, so I'd have to go with the Guardian. If you can fit on a 19.5" or larger frame and the price is within your budget, then the Zeppelin seems like a well equipped bike. I ordered my Guardian last Thursday

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Guardian.

Hi.
    Zeppelin has way better parts, but you are comparing two completely different bikes. More importantly than the parts, you HAVE to decide if you want a hardtail 29er or a FS 26" bike.

I'd buy the Zeppelin because it's a far nicer bike. It just doesn't have wagon wheels.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Yea, I've been riding a 26 FS bike for as long as I remember. Its basically a Toy'R'Us frame with Full Shimono Deore Parts.

I'm just having a really hard time deciding, to be honest I want them both...

I'll probably be using them for street (excersize), smooth trails and the rough stuff!
    Last edited by ATVMXR; 08-29-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Cow Clicker
    What do you consider the rough stuff? How far are you going? Will you be racing? What are the hard core riders riding on the trails in your area?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Well, I found this post which happens to have some picture of the place I will go frequently, which happens to have a certain bike in it... lol

Landhal Park in Blue Springs, MO
    http://forums.mtbr.com/great-plains-...rk-808304.html

I'm leaning more toward the Gaurdian at this point, but I feel like this is my chance to get a decent bike at a decent price, i.e. the zeppelin elite. But both are good bike at a fair price!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hey all! Sorry for nonsequitor but i dont have enough posts to start a new thread. -_- Here's the situation- I'm starting mountain biking at my school this year. I emailed the coach about bikes, and he said the normal renter this year isnt renting. I'll be primarily on singletrack, with "steep climbs" and lots of roots. All of this sounds good to me of course, but my dad recently gave me $600 to get a bike, which again is awesome. The only real problem is that i have no idea what to go for. It would be easy to get a cheap hard tail bike, but again I WILL BE ON THIS BIKE EVERY DAY and i will be riding it as hard as i can every day. I know that its stupid to spring for something like a diamondback for everyday use, but i also dont want to get the crap beat out of me from being on a hard tail every day. Also, weight is a pretty big deal to me. I dont wanna have to hike a bike up the hills, and many entry level bikes are really heavy. I could probably get about 80 bucks swing on the 600 but naturally i dont want to have to. Theres a bike dealership near me, but its small and the guy is pretty much a specialized salesman- is it worth it to go there? I'm a 6'1 Male, I'm 15 and I weigh about 140 lbs. Thanks in advance for the responses.

Cow Clicker
    Hey Raven - nice hijack start a new thread

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    .Save.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Airborne Guardian Vs Airborne Zeppelin Elite-guardian.jpg  

the8thfold
    Aug 2012
    If you are going to be doing more street, smoother trails, and easier single track stuff id suggest going with the Guardian. with that being said, you have a 26 FS now. if you like how it rides stick with the 26er.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I am having the same issue with choosing an Airborne, but I think I'm gonna go with the Guardian. I have also looked at a Cannondale Trail SL 4 and 5 but the price of the Guardian
    is more appealing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hello All,

My first post here. I purchased a clearanced Airborne Zep from Sun and Ski back in May. I love the bike as it is very well built, but it is about 35 lbs. The wheels are the same on the elite model and I would think that are the biggest letdown. The bearings are garbage, but they will get you down the trail until you get something nicer. I upgraded to x7 drivetrain. not sure what the elite comes with. It is the right bike at the right price for me, because I love upgrading my bikes so it is no big deal. you might not like the weight though. Either way you should be good!

NeedGod.com
    OP, that's my thread about Landahl Park and my vote is 100% Guardian. Landahl is perfect for 29ers. It's rough and rocky, those big wheels just roll over everything. If I took my 26er down to Landahl, I would ride it completely differently.

Have you tried a 29er before? I know you said you didn't want a debate between 26er and 29er, but that's essentially what it is. It really depends on your experience and type of riding you do, but the Guardian is a great all-around bike.

Airborne Product Dude
    Unless you can ride a 21inch frame in the Zeppelin Elite this is probably a moot discussion. We are out of all sizes of the Zepp Elite with the exception of a few 21's. When they are gone, they are gone!
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

bearings on zepplin

bearings are not junk on the Zeppelin,they require grease and adjustment,simple maintenance,mine were to tight,will now coast uphill,

mtbr member
    I was Having a similar issue with the clearance Goblin vs the Zeppelin Elite. I will with the Zeppelin based on price.

I think either bike will do you fine. Depending on your weight either bike would benefit from a better front shock.

I will ride the tires off my zeppelin a d then look into front shock options.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I took the bearings out cleaned everything and regreased them, and they are quiter, but funtionality has not changed much. Either way it is not the topic of the thread I have to reiterate that I love my bike!!!! Best bike for the money I have ever owned!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Check out jerry hazard review on guardian,its a no brainer..

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've owned both the Zeppelin Elite and the Goblin (same frame as the Guardian) and I would choose the Guardian with a tubeless conversion and fork set to 100mm of travel for everyday midwestern type of xc or trail riding as well as for what I'm seeing in your pics.
    tankpro.org
    IMBA National Mountain Bike Patrol
    southernkettles.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Unless you can ride a 21inch frame in the Zeppelin Elite this is probably a moot discussion. We are out of all sizes of the Zepp Elite with the exception of a few 21's. When they are gone, they are gone!
    Think I got the last one from a warehouse sale in Nov 2013.... Luv this bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    You got one last November!? I thought I got one of the last few in November 2012.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by alexzhu1 View Post
    You got one last November!? I thought I got one of the last few in November 2012.
    We found one in a box when we were going thru the warehouse and tidying things up late last year.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member

Airborne Guardian Vs Airborne Zeppelin Elite

Can't wait for November so I can get the last one!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKreitzer View Post
    Can't wait for November so I can get the last one!
    To clear things up... I believe he was referring to the the bike I bought
    I found out about it browsing the Airborne Facebook page... Just got back from a ride, had it for two months now and still am having a blast on it!