Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Airborne Guardian 29er Riders

I like the bike...Only upgrades I have are white Wellgo MG-1 pedals, and I'd like to put a riser bar instead of that flat curved bar and see how my upper body likes that.

I'll post some pics up soon...

Anyone else having issues with...

Tuning the front derailleur?
    I could not tune it for the life of me. I took it to a fellow rider and did not have much luck either. I took it to a bike shop and they had a hard time tuning it also, and they even called SRAM for advice with no luck. Eventually they got it rideable with tiny issues.

Problems with clearance issues with the front derailleur with the tire?
    Seems clearance is a big factor with this frame running certain tires...
    also on the front derailleur there is a screw on the tail of metal piece that rubs my tire per rotation because a small bulge on the kenda tire...

I had called Airborne and they said nobody has had issues reported yet...so I'm curious if this is true or not...

Would running a x7 or x9 front derailleur help with taller/wider tires?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Nice looking bike, thinking of getting one also, may go with the Trek Mamba which is about 130 bucks more when I factor in shipping and getting the bike put together. The Mamba has a better fork I think. What size is the Guardian?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Mine is 20" assembly was really easy actually...shipping to IL to me was like $50 .

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The shipping charge is $75 now and I live in Ca where the bikes ship from. How tall are you, as I could go with either a 18 or 20 inch. Aside from the issue you described how would you rate the bike?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I am about 6'2 6'3ish with like a 31.5 inseam no shoes if i remember correctly...the bike fits well. I just stood over it barefoot and the top tube just touches the eggs...

With the derailleur issue...ugh i dunno....its kinda annoying...and tire clearance issues....If i did it again I'd prolly buy something from the LBS. I cant order tires because I dont know what exactly will fit.

But I do like it as a starter 29er! and I will keep it as my back up bike for sure...You cant beat the price with the component set up it has...
    I was at a LBS and it compares to a $1050 ( SRAM x5 and shock ) bike just about from what they had, so I went home and ordered this.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    BikingCivic - I noticed your front brake housing is pretty free and is going around the outside of your fork. That could be a big problem if a branch or something were to get caught in there. You might want to look into shortening or rerouting that housing which is easier said than done with hydro's

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I can get a Cannondale Trail SL2 29er for a grand. Is that a good deal, 2012 model.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I couldn't tell ya...but the choice is up to you...lol

Ya i know Sean. Good looking out. hehe That's how it came, I threw a zip tie on there to kinda tuck it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Post some pics of the clearance issue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The LBS got it where the derailleur screw there was not rubbing the tire anymore...but its pretty darn close still. Also between the derailleur and tire I cant stick my finger in between them...so a taller tire would gunk up mud, dirt, and etc... there pretty good (if i could even run a taller tire *tire with taller tread*).

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Wow, too close.

BPP
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Have you had any issues with the rear wheel coming off? I have an Airborne Goblin and my rear wheel has came off 5 times during riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hope you guys get your issues resolved, this convinces me to just go through a LBS for my first 29er.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BPP View Post
    Have you had any issues with the rear wheel coming off? I have an Airborne Goblin and my rear wheel has came off 5 times during riding.
    You need to resolve this now. I can't see the bike from here but I am assuming it is some sort of aluminum alloy. You are wearing a channel into the drop outs that will always make the wheel want to leave the frame. Even the cheesiest bike on the planet should not loose a wheel, once in a while a designer or engineer drops the ball, but then all of these bikes would be doing it.

BPP
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    It is 6061 aluminum frame. It seems like a safety issue to me.

Master of the Obvious
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstar View Post
    Hope you guys get your issues resolved, this convinces me to just go through a LBS for my first 29er.

Good Call, If your not a seasoned bike mech it can actually cost you more in the long run by buying online. I good LBS won't sell you a bike with a misaligned frame or poorly run brake housing.Back in the day when I was a shop rat we had a frame from a major mfg come in missing about 1/3 of weld on the bottom bracket, needless to say we didn't put that bike on the floor for sale.
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean831 View Post
    BikingCivic - I noticed your front brake housing is pretty free and is going around the outside of your fork. That could be a big problem if a branch or something were to get caught in there. You might want to look into shortening or rerouting that housing which is easier said than done with hydro's
    The bike ships with the zip tie for the housing in the RockShox bag (along with the shock manual and RockShox decal) for the consumer to put on the bike. The bike packs better that way than putting the ziptie on before packing.

Regarding the FD, it is somewhat close when shifted down into the small front chainring, but it doesn't hit. This is a bit of a compromise on a 29er with a 3x9 system. The clearance is the best we could make it. That's part of the reason why 2x10 systems are advantageous on 29ers.

In regards to the rear skewer, if it is TIGHT it should not come loose. This is important on 29ers in general. The BB being below the plane of the hubs means that on a vertical drop-out the rear wheel is more susceptable to being pulled out if it is not tight. I rode on a Goblin with those exact skewers for over a year with no issues, but I am anal about my skewers being tight, because in the old days when I used to ride on Ti the CP dropouts were hard and it was difficult for the skewers to get a good bite, and after losing a wheel twice on climbs back then I started making them REALLY tight and never had a problem again. It's now become a habit of mine.

If anyone has any questions or problems, please give us a call or email directly and we would be happy to help, thanks!
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

Titanium junkie
    I got news for all of you saying never buy online, go spend a few days
    at your local LBS and see how many bikes come in with issues that
    were put together by the LBS. I don't believe there is anything bad about
    Airborne bikes that can't be fixed by someone taking the time to look and
    think about it, instead of complaining about it on a forum.
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If there is a problem with a bike from a LBS I will just keep going back until it is resolved, if I buy online and have a major problem that the vendor should fix it will be a hassle to send the bike back or I can just pay the LBS to fix the problem. My LBS will take care of the issue for free if I buy from them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudviking View Post
    I got news for all of you saying never buy online, go spend a few days
    at your local LBS and see how many bikes come in with issues that
    were put together by the LBS. I don't believe there is anything bad about
    Airborne bikes that can't be fixed by someone taking the time to look and
    think about it, instead of complaining about it on a forum.

Lets not make this a LBS vs. Online purchase thread. We are asking questions about the bike and trying to resolve issues with them, and showing them off.

Also no my back wheel is not falling off...

mtbr member
    As a small direct-to-consumer bike company, we do whatever it takes to make our customers happy. Our reputation is important to us, but more importantly we want to do "the right thing" if someone has a problem.

I personally don't want to see this become a "buying direct versus buying thru a bike shop" thing. Both have their merits.

For some customers buying their bike thru a shop is truly the best option, and on occasion we will tell someone that. It could be an issue of fit, lack of mechanical ability so they couldn't put the bike together, etc, etc. We would rather be honest and up front than have a dis-satisfied customer later.

But for those folks that are savvy, so their research, aren't hard to fit, and have the mechanical ability to put their bike together and do *some* of their own work, Airborne or any other direct retailler are a viable option. We're here to offer that choice and try to do it better than our competitors that are doing the same thing.

Thanks~!
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikingCivic View Post

Would running a x7 or x9 front derailleur help with taller/wider tires?
    The X7 FD and X9 FD have a rivet instead of a screw that holds the cage together, so they will offer 2-3mm more clearance for a larger tire.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    The X7 FD and X9 FD have a rivet instead of a screw that holds the cage together, so they will offer 2-3mm more clearance for a larger tire.
    Awsome! Thanks!

BPP
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Airborne has been great in resolving any issues I have had. I bent my rear rotor and rear skewer due to my wheel coming off and they are sending me new ones. I keep the rear skewer so tight that when I have had flats I can hardly get the skewer loose to get the wheel off.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I just want to say, I'm very happy with my Airborne Guardian. I'm 6'6" 195lbs and my 22" frame fits perfectly. The fork does it's job well too, much better than the suntour fork that was on my specialized hardrock 29er. I think it's an excellent deal considering that my hardrock cost me more money. Overall, a great bike and anyone debating whether to buy one should just do it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Airborne guardian 29

I have the same exact problems with my airborne guardian except my rear wheel is secure with no problems.I tried bigger tires like 2.2's but they dont fit the front der clearance is simply not there so forget it. the front der is also not set yet I have had a couple of people better than me trying to dial it in but the thing to do is Im just going to get another front der so I can put bigger tires on anyway. it also rubs the tire a lot in the lowest gears and small chainring .the stupid nub on the backside of the der is the worst part of it.for the money its a good bike but with shipping its a 675.00 dollar bike not 599.00 so it shouldnt be compared with 599.00 bikes more like the 700.00 price point . the seatpost and handlebars are heavy and not that great but heck everyone gets diffrent ones anyways. the wheels are also a bit heavy but its hard to get a 700.00 dollar bike equipped this good so I can accept heavy wheels for my fat butt anyway.the only real complaint I have is the front der should have never been put on this bike. when this bike was designed it should have been built with a front der that has more clearance and is more compatible with this type of frame. other than that its a good bike and the airborne guys I have talked to are good guys. I guess considering all they have done in a short time with a new start up bike company they are doing great and deserve credit. BF29

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGFAT29 View Post
    I have the same exact problems with my airborne guardian except my rear wheel is secure with no problems.I tried bigger tires like 2.2's but they dont fit the front der clearance is simply not there so forget it. the front der is also not set yet I have had a couple of people better than me trying to dial it in but the thing to do is Im just going to get another front der so I can put bigger tires on anyway. it also rubs the tire a lot in the lowest gears and small chainring .the stupid nub on the backside of the der is the worst part of it.for the money its a good bike but with shipping its a 675.00 dollar bike not 599.00 so it shouldnt be compared with 599.00 bikes more like the 700.00 price point . the seatpost and handlebars are heavy and not that great but heck everyone gets diffrent ones anyways. the wheels are also a bit heavy but its hard to get a 700.00 dollar bike equipped this good so I can accept heavy wheels for my fat butt anyway.the only real complaint I have is the front der should have never been put on this bike. when this bike was designed it should have been built with a front der that has more clearance and is more compatible with this type of frame. other than that its a good bike and the airborne guys I have talked to are good guys. I guess considering all they have done in a short time with a new start up bike company they are doing great and deserve credit. BF29
    I agree completely. The front derailleur clearance is the only problem I've had with my guardian thus far. This der. does not fit when in smallest chainring with my Geax Saguaro 2.2s. This is a bummer because I was planning on sticking a Geax Gato 2.3 in the rear for fall, winter, spring...Other than that, the bike is pretty solid and I really like the fork on it. It does the job enough for me to not be wishing I had something better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Knock on wood, haven't had any similar problems with my Guardian, though I do have the 22", so that may be a factor. Hope you guys can figure it out...

mtbr member
    How does everyone like riding them?

Geometry?
    Overall handling?
    Overall feel of the bike on different terrains?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGFAT29 View Post
    I cannot agree more...I love my bike, but I wish we could resolve the frond derailleur issue and figure out what we can do to fix it. I would like to run a knobbier tire if possible also...

I took mine on the dirt trails and paved trails...It handles great. I like it...no complaints besides from what we have been talking about. I love it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Some of my upgrades:
    Lizard Skins Chainstay Protector
    Wellgo MG-1
    Planet Bike Protege 9.0 Bike Computer
    Forté Team 720 Flat Handlebars 199g, 720mm, 9 degree sweep

mtbr member
    That looks great!

The white pedals really look good on there. Those are one of my favorite flats and super light, but they aren't the most durable. I had a set and let a friend borrow the bike they were on and he clipped a rock with one and it basically exploded into 4 pieces. No one was hurt or anything, it was just a disappointment since I liked them so much~!

Now go out and put some miles on that computer!

mtbr member

Same here

I also have the same problem with mine and it took a lot of adjustments during assembly. I finally got it tuned down after adjusting the housing on the frame. I took it for long rides (road) and then readjusted; the gears now shift smoothly with no chain slaps. I didn't take it to a LBS and am glad I didn't because I learned a lot about the bike's system. Also slapped on some WELLGO LU-C27G and pedal it with 5.10 spitfires Matches well with the other toys, very happy with the purchase.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Sweet bikes guys, i have had my guardian for about a month now too and I love it. Unfortunately, i took a pretty big fall and bent/cracked my rear derailleur and mount. Like most on here I was having a hard time getting the front derailleur to shift properly due to clearance issues. I took it to a local bike shop who basically told me this was as good as they could get it.
    Now that the rear derailleur has to be changed, do you guys think it would be worth it to upgrade the front and rear derailleurs for x7 stuff while keeping the x5 shifters?
    What are the chances of installing the x7 front derailleur and still having the clearance issues?

Thanks for any help. I am planning to call Airborne in the morning to get their opinion.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I spoke with Eric from Airborne on the phone about the front derailleur issues and he said, they new about the tire clearance issues when designing the bike. I guess they had to cut corners somewhere...I mean, you get a lot of bike for the money, so I'm not complaining. He suggested buying an x7 derailleur If I want to fit a bigger tire. So, yes it will definitely fit indeed. As far as how the bike rides, I'm very impressed with it. The riding in southeastern NY is rocky, rooty and flat out rugged terrain. I feel very nimble on my guardian and I'm 6'6" riding the 22" frame. The tire clearance thing isn't really an issue as I will be upgrading as I go anyways.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Update:
    Well i got my bike back from the shop, it has been a pretty intersting week.

I decided to go ahead and upgrade the x3 front and x5 rear to x7's since my x5 rear had to be repalced. When the parts came in the shop was having problems tuning the bike. Under further inspection they realized that the bike had a 8 speed sram x5 rear shifter and a 8 speed chain. As we all know the cassette of the guardian is for a 9 speed. I called Airborne immediately and they sent the bike shop the necessary replacement parts directly. Airborne Customer service was fantastic they totaly took charge to make sure that the shop was not trying to scam me out of my money.

Today i finally picked up the bike. first ride out i realized the front needed further adjustment so i took it back right away, after a few tweaks it was much better. here are pictures of the front x7 derailluer with the stock kenda tires so we can compare how much more clearance we have for larger tires. to me it looks minimal. the front is at the smallest gear in these pictures. the shop installed a high clamp front x7 derailluer vs the stock low clamp. im not sure if this will cause any difference in clearnance.

in the end, i sort of regret buying the guardian and just going straight for the goblin with the 2x10 x7, reba setup.

NeedGod.com
    I've been working on the FD on my Guardian and that looks like a big jump in the gap there. I notice a few mm difference between yours and mine. Glad it worked for you as I've been wanting to do a 2x10 setup for awhile now and will probably do it to the Guardian now that I've seen it done. But not for awhile as my setup is running like clockwork right now.

I don't know if I will ever get a wider tire for it though. If your wheel gets out of true on the trail, you're gonna have to true it up right there or just not use the small cog.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildfifty View Post
    Update:
    Well i got my bike back from the shop, it has been a pretty intersting week.

I decided to go ahead and upgrade the x3 front and x5 rear to x7's since my x5 rear had to be repalced. When the parts came in the shop was having problems tuning the bike. Under further inspection they realized that the bike had a 8 speed sram x5 rear shifter and a 8 speed chain. As we all know the cassette of the guardian is for a 9 speed. I called Airborne immediately and they sent the bike shop the necessary replacement parts directly. Airborne Customer service was fantastic they totaly took charge to make sure that the shop was not trying to scam me out of my money.

Today i finally picked up the bike. first ride out i realized the front needed further adjustment so i took it back right away, after a few tweaks it was much better. here are pictures of the front x7 derailluer with the stock kenda tires so we can compare how much more clearance we have for larger tires. to me it looks minimal. the front is at the smallest gear in these pictures. the shop installed a high clamp front x7 derailluer vs the stock low clamp. im not sure if this will cause any difference in clearnance.

in the end, i sort of regret buying the guardian and just going straight for the goblin with the 2x10 x7, reba setup.

I've only had the Guardian for less than a month and I've already converted it to 1x9 - no more front derailleur issues I'm no bike mechanic but I've managed to get the rear derailleur working perfectly. I might swap it out it for 2005 SRAM X.9 - I bought one for the 26er I'm building...it was only $35 brand new!

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by adonis_abril View Post
    I've only had the Guardian for less than a month and I've already converted it to 1x9 - no more front derailleur issues I'm no bike mechanic but I've managed to get the rear derailleur working perfectly. I might swap it out it for 2005 SRAM X.9 - I bought one for the 26er I'm building...it was only $35 brand new!

You will need some type of chain retension system for the front. The chain will not stay on once the bike is moving over bumpy terrain.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    You will need some type of chain retension system for the front. The chain will not stay on once the bike is moving over bumpy terrain.
    Oh yeah, I'm already researching that. I'm looking at the Bashguard + Jump Stop combo or a Paul Chain keeper. maybe even an mrp chain guide...but for now, I run the chain 2 links tighter than previous and seems to be ok on the occasional speed bumps.

mtbr member
    check out the Bioncon c.guide v2.0 Its a great, inexpensive, and very effective device.
    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet." -Abraham Lincoln

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    **please delete**
    Last edited by ifinditfunny; 07-23-2012 at 07:51 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by adonis_abril View Post
    Adonis,
    Awesome idea, i had no clue we could take the rings off of the front crank. I am a Noob...

From the picture i am assuming you were able to remove the largest and smallest chain rings and only using the middle, is that right?

I think i will remove just the largest ring and replace it with a bashguard since on the type of trails we have around here i am always on the middle ring.

Are the rings put together with rivets, or is everything connected with bolts?

Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Adonis,
    Awesome idea, i had no clue we could take the rings off of the front crank. I am a Noob...

From the picture i am assuming you were able to remove the largest and smallest chain rings and only using the middle, is that right?

I think i will remove just the largest ring and replace it with a bashguard since on the type of trails we have around here i am always on the middle ring.

Are the rings put together with rivets, or is everything connected with bolts?

Thanks for the info.
    Yes, you can use just the middle ring (104 BCD * Bolt Circle Diameter)... but you might find it limiting when on flats or going downhill - I ended up getting a 36t chain ring and used that in place of the middle one which is a 32t chain ring (t = teeth *I think). This gives me a good range of gears for urban/trail since I do use the bike to commute to work as well.

It's connected with rivets - you'll need a 6mm and 8mm hex wrench for the chain rings and of course a crank removal tool. I would use some bigger wrench for torque - I was using a portable multi-use tool and it was PITA to disassemble.
    Last edited by adonis_abril; 07-24-2012 at 08:46 AM.

local bike dr.
    Aug 2012
    My LBS sold out of the Giant Revel 0 I had hoped to buy next week. After calling 30 bike shops within a 150 mile radius, nobody could get me the size I need, so I started looking at 29ers. I refuse to buy a bike with a non-damped fork, yet still want to spend less than 800. I've noticed several references to these Airborne bikes as the best components for the money, so I'm hoping to get feedback on how the components stack up. Namely, are the brake levers easy enough to operate with one finger? When testing the Giant Talon at my LBS, they had Avid Elixir brakes and one finger operation was flawless. I love the mix of other components on these bikes! Also, what does the standover height end up at? The L size Talon was definatley too tall, 30.4" standover and the top tube was ..uncomfortable...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have owned my Airborne Guardian for about 3 months now. I ride it hard 2 to 3 times a week on mostly xc trails in the area. The brakes are the 1 component I have not had any issues with at all. They were perfect straight out of the box. Yes you can control them with one finger without any issues.
    This is my first mountain bike. I have never tuned gears or anything like that so I had to take it to a bike shop to get the shifting to work correctly. The front derailleur seemed to never be perfect so I decided to remove the big chainring and run a 2x9 setup. I am enjoying the bike a lot more now.
    I have the 18 inch model, I am about 5’7 with a 30 inch inseam and I don’t have any problems with the stand over. If you want more details about the size give airborne a call.
    I’ve just had bad luck with my bike, I took a fall which damaged my rear derailleur to the point it had to be replaced. So I upgraded to x7 front and rear. The small block 8 tires are great, but I have had 3 punctures already. Yesterday I went for a ride with a couple of friends and a lose branch got wedged into the spokes of my rear rim nearly throwing me off the bike. I really messed up one of the spokes.
    I have not ridden any bike with an elite rockshox reba or fox shocks, but the XC front fork on the airborne does its job very well. I like the rebound and preload adjustments you can make on it. I guess it could be lighter and more exotic but for my skill level at the moment and the trails I am riding it seems to do the job very well.

mtbr member
    Throughout the time I've owned mine, I've taken a big spill going downhill, dropped it 10ft into a lake, 3-4feet drops, rock gardens (Eastern Sierras)....and it's my daily commuter I did have to replace the headtube assembly but I think partly due to my incompetence putting it back together when I took it apart. Since then I've built a 26er for downhill with BB7 mechanical brakes. The Guardian is a rocksteady bike for the price, brakes are good but I prefer my 26er's BB7.

Goat, the frame standover height depends on the frame size you get. I'm just shy of 5-11, 6ft with shoes on, 31 inch inseam and I ride an 18 inch Guardian frame. Fits perfect.

NeedGod.com
    Quote Originally Posted by G0at View Post
    I've noticed several references to these Airborne bikes as the best components for the money, so I'm hoping to get feedback on how the components stack up. Namely, are the brake levers easy enough to operate with one finger?
    Yes, I only use one finger for braking. I'm amazed how powerful these supposedly "cheap" bottom of the line hydraulics are. If these brakes are "bad" I can't imagine how great some Elixers would be. Seriously, no complaints about any of the components on this bike. Hydros worked great in the rain, too.

local bike dr.
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the info everyone! I will call to verify size before ordering, of course, but at 5'9" / 30" inseam, my guess is the 18" will do just fine. My arms are long, so the 16" top tube would be too short.
    Only complaints I've heard about the Auriga brakes is squeeking when wet, but since that issue can be resolved with readily available pads (nukeproof DH @ $22 per pair) then I have no reservations on the brakes.
    I'm finding it's alot more rewarding researching this option than trying to justify another 300-400 to buy an equal bike or build up a lesser bike. Have read reviews on every component I haven't used personally, looked at competing bikes and read up on their components, etc. Feel confident enough to pull the trigger on this bike next week, $722.20 after shipping & taxes. prolly check my LBS for pedals this week, or maybe buy a pair from CRC if selection / price suck locally.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Congrats, you will not regret it!

I have ridden my bike on extremely wet muddy days and my brakes never made a sound. Compared to my friends BB5's the tekro on my guardian are silent.

mtbr member
    I have these in white. Looks great on the Airborne. All brakes squeek in some way or another...no way around that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G0at View Post
    Thanks for the info everyone! I will call to verify size before ordering, of course, but at 5'9" / 30" inseam, my guess is the 18" will do just fine. My arms are long, so the 16" top tube would be too short.
    I think the 18" is a much better fit. I wouldn't want to put you on a 16", it is too small.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm considering a Guardian or a BAMF Grappler. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    High clamp or low clamp?

mtbr member
    For those of you who have the bike, was there anything you rode that seemed comparable in how it fit? I'm about 90% committed to buying a Guardian soon and I'm concerned about fit with not being able to ride it first.

For comparison, I've ridden and liked a Giant Talon 0, Specialized Rockhopper and Marin Alpine Trail (also tried and loved a Giant XTC but that's a bit out of the price range). I've also tried and did not like the Felt Sport Nine, Trek Mamba and a price equivalent Rocky Mountain bike that I can't remember. For whatever reason the ones I didn't like felt sluggish, especially the Felt. Part of my concer was that the Felt was a 22" frame while the others were 21".

For reference I'm a pretty big guy, 6' 2" 240 lbs with most of my height in my torso.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I just ordered a Guardian on Monday. I'm 6'2" and got the 22" after some good knowledge and recommendation from a LBS. I'm excited for it to come but havn't had confirmation that the bike has shipped yet. Their site still says "processing". How long did it take you guys to get your bike???

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by beowulf62 View Post
    High clamp or low clamp?

I switched out my front and rear derailleurs to x7's and went with a high clamp.

local bike dr.
    Aug 2012
    Ordered my Guardian today(Thursday). Talked to Eric minutes before I confirmed the order @1:30pm CDT, he gave me the heads up about shipping.... Will ship out of CA tomorrow, or maybe Monday... Expecting to see it Thursday or Friday, UPS ground shipping from CA to IN = approx. 4 business days. Standard fare for stuff shipping from CA, really. Have been ordering various items from the west coast for years...Figure about a day to get it moved around from the company's warehouse to the Fedex hub to a truck. 700 or more miles per day on the truck. Usually delivered the day after it arrives to your local Fedex hub.

Also ordered pedals, brake pads (will save the original Tektro pads as spares), and a more breathable helmet from CRC same time I ordered my bike. Likely the CRC stuff will arrive before the bike, or I'll have to borrow a pair of plastic pedals from the walgoose.

Will post assembly notes when I get it put together. Will be certain to note the stock FD clearance to the stock tires.
    Last edited by G0at; 08-30-2012 at 06:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtLange View Post
    I just ordered a Guardian on Monday. I'm 6'2" and got the 22" after some good knowledge and recommendation from a LBS. I'm excited for it to come but havn't had confirmation that the bike has shipped yet. Their site still says "processing". How long did it take you guys to get your bike???
    We usually ship within 2 working days and you get the confirmation the following day after it ships when the shipping info and tracking# loads into the system. However we have been super busy at the moment and we are generally running a day or so longer than normal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    We usually ship within 2 working days and you get the confirmation the following day after it ships when the shipping info and tracking# loads into the system. However we have been super busy at the moment and we are generally running a day or so longer than normal.
    Understandable, Thanks for the info!

-Sgt

mtbr member
    Ordered my 18" on Tuesday night. Maybe Monday. Either way super excited. First full bike build. Have a question though. Does the headse and bottom bracket come installed? I plan to strip mine and paint it. Thanx to Airborne for the affordable ride!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    It was a VERY VERY LONG week for me when I was waiting for my guardian to arrive. It is worth the wait I tell ya, I don't regret buying it one bit!

mtbr member
    good to hear Noob!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    thanks Noob

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have been looking at the airbornes myself, I am anxious to hear how it is.

mtbr member
    From what I see in this thread the customer service is excellent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zukrider View Post
    Ordered my 18" on Tuesday night. Maybe Monday. Either way super excited. First full bike build. Have a question though. Does the headse and bottom bracket come installed? I plan to strip mine and paint it. Thanx to Airborne for the affordable ride!
    You're welcome!

Yes, they come installed. You'll need a BB tool for GXP-style outboard bearings and something to pop the bearings/cups out. Park and other companies make a tool to remove the HS bearings/cups but if you are creative you can come up with something from your garage that will work.

What color are you going to paint it? Shoot an email to our customer service group at support@airbornebicycles.com and tell them you need some decals for a repaint and they'll send some out.

Jeremy

I like turtles
    Airborne really looks to be the online company that people have been looking for. Good looking well specd bikes without the cheese that Motobecane has. Real customer service. Legit reviews by credible sources. Sounds like a real viable option for those that want to go online.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam N. View Post
    For those of you who have the bike, was there anything you rode that seemed comparable in how it fit? I'm about 90% committed to buying a Guardian soon and I'm concerned about fit with not being able to ride it first.

For comparison, I've ridden and liked a Giant Talon 0, Specialized Rockhopper and Marin Alpine Trail (also tried and loved a Giant XTC but that's a bit out of the price range). I've also tried and did not like the Felt Sport Nine, Trek Mamba and a price equivalent Rocky Mountain bike that I can't remember. For whatever reason the ones I didn't like felt sluggish, especially the Felt. Part of my concer was that the Felt was a 22" frame while the others were 21".

For reference I'm a pretty big guy, 6' 2" 240 lbs with most of my height in my torso.
    Just wanted to ask you all one more time if any of you who bought the Airborne and tried a few other bikes if there was anything you tried that rode similarly so I can get an idea what it will ride like before putting in the order.

I made a big chart to compare frame geometries and according to that it seems like the Marin Alpine Trail might be the most similar in geometry. Anyone agree or disagree?

NeedGod.com
    Of all the bikes I rode (all the Trek aluminum 29ers, Rockhopper and Rockhopper Comp 29ers, several Giant 29ers and a Salsa) I think it rides most similarly to the Rockhopper and Rockhopper Comp.

Also, to the guy wondering about shipping. My Guardian still says "processing" on the website. Or it did the last time I looked. I've had it for a couple months now. It only took 4 days to get to me though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Barheet View Post
    Of all the bikes I rode (all the Trek aluminum 29ers, Rockhopper and Rockhopper Comp 29ers, several Giant 29ers and a Salsa) I think it rides most similarly to the Rockhopper and Rockhopper Comp.

Also, to the guy wondering about shipping. My Guardian still says "processing" on the website. Or it did the last time I looked. I've had it for a couple months now. It only took 4 days to get to me though.
    How do you like it so far Barheet? About to pull the trigger on one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barheet View Post

Thanks so much. It helps a lot since the Rockhopper was one of my favorites so far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Noob_mtber View Post
    I switched out my front and rear derailleurs to x7's and went with a high clamp.
    top pull or bottom pull?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by beowulf62 View Post
    top pull or bottom pull?
    it was a dual pull x7 front derailleur.

NeedGod.com
    Quote Originally Posted by comphynum View Post
    How do you like it so far Barheet? About to pull the trigger on one.
    I'm a big fan of the Guardian. I've ridden the *#&! out of it ever since I've gotten it. I get more and more comfortable on it every time I ride, and I think that's the transition from a light, rigid 26er to a heavier 29er. I took my time shopping around at all the LBS, and at BikesDirect. I really believe I made the right choice for me.

Here's a review. Some people might not put a lot of stock into reviews written by people on the flight crew, but I thought it was objective, accurate, and well-done.
    JerryAaronHazard - Guardian. August 2012…

local bike dr.
    Aug 2012
    Assembly notes: bike pulled out of the box as one unit after removing the small box w/ front QR skewer, manual, and reflectors.
    -untied ropes binding the front tire to the bike. carefully routed the left crank arm thru the spokes as i removed and set aside the front wheel.
    -removed protective foam/cardboard pieces that wrapped and protected the frame and handlebars (were attached w/ masking tape)
    -removed protective caps from front wheel axle and installed QR skewer
    -pulled insert from front brake caliper (held pads apart during transit)
    -installed front wheel (carefully aligning rotor in between brake pads)
    -5mm hex key to loosen both bolts holding stem to steer tube, rotated stem 180°, tighten both bolts
    -5mm hex key to remove 4 bolts holding stem's handlebar cap, install handlebar, place cap on and tighten 4 bolts (tighten all 4 evenly, alternating top left, lower right, upper right, lower left, or something similar)
    -grease lightly applied to seatpost and inside frame's seat tube, loosen clamp with 5mm hex key, installed seat tube, tightened seat clamp
    -installed pedals (purchased elsewhere) I tightened them with a 5/8" open end wrench, could also use a hex key if you desired
    -placed chain on front sprocket (was resting on frame)
    -removed rear wheel axle protectors
    -adjusted rear derailleur (mine needed a few turns w/ phillips screwdriver on the lower limit and i had to let some cable out by loosening the 5mm allen bolt clamp located on the derailleur, think it was 1/4" or less of cable.)

pictures to come tomorrow, after i have my first trail ride with the bike.

BTW- front derailleur just touches the side knob tits of the rear tire; nothing rubs, as there is about 1/8" clearance to the side knobs of the kenda small block 8 (2.1") tires, but it should be noted that a wider rear tire will require some adjustments and/or modification.

(Cross posted to my Assembly Notes in the "What's with Airborne" thread on the General forum)

mtbr member
    did you buy the flat pedals at the same time as your bike? any recommendations on which pedals (flat)?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by swl7 View Post
    did you buy the flat pedals at the same time as your bike? any recommendations on which pedals (flat)?
    I am running a set of Wellgo MG-1 flat pedals on my Guardian with 9/16 thread. If i remember correctly they were about 30 bucks. I like them so far.

mtbr member
    I am running a set of Wellgo MG-1 flat pedals on my Guardian with 9/16 thread. If i remember correctly they were about 30 bucks. I like them so far.
    Where did you purchase these for $30? I only see them for $60+

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by swl7 View Post
    Where did you purchase these for $30? I only see them for $60+
    I got mine through amazon

Amazon.com: WELLGO BMX MTB Mountain Bike Magnesium Pedals Black: Sports & Outdoors

I guess they don't offer that deal anymore.

NeedGod.com
    I only paid $35 for my V8's at Pricepoint. DMR V8 Pedals at Price Point

local bike dr.
    Aug 2012
    Promised a picture of the stock FD to the stock rear tire clearance earlier...

As you can see, not a big deal unless you go for a fatter rear tire.

Welds on this rig are gorgeous. Bottom tube is monstrous, ovalled rectangle that is taller than it is wide at the head, yet transitions to be wider than it is tall down at the bottom bracket. Yields stiffness where you need it at the top,

and strength laterally where you want it at the bottom.

I'll up more pix later, I'm a firm believer that anything "off-road" is much more pleasing to look at when it has some dirt on it, and this bike is uber shiny yet.

re: pedals....I ordered my Wellgo B38 pedals from CRC @ $35, the same day as i ordered my bike, and they arrived well before the bike. Had a silver pair of grippy Alum./CroMo sealed bearing pedals sitting on my desk, seemingly mocking me. To think I was concerned I'd have a bike arrive and no pedals to ride it. No need for express shipping even though CRC ships from across the pond, you'll be fine. DHL had them to me 6 days after I placed the order. Bike took 12 days. CRC doesn't have the B38's in stock right now, but the Wellgo B54's are an even grippier version of the 38's.

If those $49 pedals are too rich for your blood, they have a $31 pair that should interest you. A slight downgrade from the replaceable cartridge bearing version, these Wellgo B47's are a well made pair as well. Same grip as the 38's, which didn't slip in the slightest while traversing roots or climbing. They feature a dished flat platform that cups the ball of your foot perfectly, pins for traction even with muddy shoes, 6061 aluminum body with a strong cro-moly axle... night and day difference from any stock slippery plastic pedal that flexes and/or breaks as soon as you get into the good stuff.
    Last edited by G0at; 09-05-2012 at 10:51 PM. Reason: fix pic links

mtbr member
    cool. thanks for the insight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just reading about the front derailleur clearance. Does anyone have experience running studs on their Guardian. Say a Nokian 2.1? Any issues? Nokian Extreme 294 Studded Tire - 29 x 2.1 - Free Shipping at REI.com

mtbr member
    It's doubtful that tire will fit with the stock FD if you shift down to the smallest cog. Even though it says 2.1, which is the size of the SB8's that come stock on the Guardian, the Nokians are truly wider than the SB8's. If you don't use the smallest ring on the front or swap out the FD, a larger tire is no issue for the Guardian. The frame has plenty of clearance for a 2.3+ tire size.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks a bunch for the info, appreciate the quick and honest reply. Sounds like switching the front derailleur to a SRAM x7 or the like would be a necessary and welcome addition, considering that I want to use the bike in the winter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    For those concerned about front derailleur rear tire clearance, here's some perspective: I just build a Niner EMD 9 over the holidays and saw the same issue. The build was with a SRAM X9 high clamp top pull front derailleur, X7 crankset and an IRD Fire XC Pro 2.1 tire.

So this is something common to 29er bikes.

The trick is to have the chain on the largest rear cog and smallest chainring, adjust the front derailleur until it just touches the chain, then back off a little. This will give the most clearance with the tire.

BTW, I'm lurking in the Airborne forums because I'm still planning to get an Airborne bike in the future.

mtbr member
    I'm a noob to mountain biking and I'm drawn from research to the specialized rockhopper or airborne guardian....29'ers. I'm a clydesdale's Clydesdale at 240#, so I wonder about the fork on each. I'm 6 ft with a 32 inseam and long arms.
    I guess there is about a $175 diff (or thereabouts). It seems that the guardian is perhaps better equipped, but lbs service is not as helpful..or an added cost. I want a versatile bike, as I don't know where this is going, I just got hooked on spin class and I know I will get the bug to ride this spring. I don't think the road genre is for me, too much talk of triathlons and such....I want a bit of a rush when I ride. I don't think I'm necessarily mechanically inclined.
    Any thoughts are appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I am contemplating on getting either a Guardian or Goblin this spring. I was wondering on frame size. I am currently riding a medium frame 17 " , which is to small for me . I am 5' 11" with a 33inch inseam and arm length is 27 in. I am wondering between the 18" or the 20" inch frame . Anyone have suggestions ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by salscott View Post
    I'm a noob to mountain biking and I'm drawn from research to the specialized rockhopper or airborne guardian....29'ers. I'm a clydesdale's Clydesdale at 240#, so I wonder about the fork on each. I'm 6 ft with a 32 inseam and long arms.
    I guess there is about a $175 diff (or thereabouts). It seems that the guardian is perhaps better equipped, but lbs service is not as helpful..or an added cost. I want a versatile bike, as I don't know where this is going, I just got hooked on spin class and I know I will get the bug to ride this spring. I don't think the road genre is for me, too much talk of triathlons and such....I want a bit of a rush when I ride. I don't think I'm necessarily mechanically inclined.
    Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Is that a measured inseam or is the pants length that you buy when you buy pants?

At your weight the fork on both bikes is going to be at the top of its range/capability if you ride in rough trails. For fairly smooth trails or path riding they are both more than adequate and should be fine.

As far as assembly goes when you buy an Airborne bike, it's not very difficult. Even folks that aren't really mechanically inclined have been fine. We can walk you thru things over the phone if you run into problems. It might be a great learning experience for you to buy a set of Allen wrenches and some basic bike tools and learn how to do your own work.

If assembling a bike and learning how to work on your own bike doesn't sound like a good proposition for you, there certainly is value in buying a bike from your local shop. We know we aren't the perfect solution for everyone, and for those folks there will always be bike shops.

I am contemplating on getting either a Guardian or Goblin this spring. I was wondering on frame size. I am currently riding a medium frame 17 " , which is to small for me . I am 5' 11" with a 33inch inseam and arm length is 27 in. I am wondering between the 18" or the 20" inch frame . Anyone have suggestions ?
    Is the 17" frame you are riding a 26 inch or a 29er? What is the effective TT length on that bike? That may help us in figuring out the best size for you, thanks!

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Is that a measured inseam or is the pants length that you buy when you buy pants?

At your weight the fork on both bikes is going to be at the top of its range/capability if you ride in rough trails. For fairly smooth trails or path riding they are both more than adequate and should be fine.

As far as assembly goes when you buy an Airborne bike, it's not very difficult. Even folks that aren't really mechanically inclined have been fine. We can walk you thru things over the phone if you run into problems. It might be a great learning experience for you to buy a set of Allen wrenches and some basic bike tools and learn how to do your own work.

If assembling a bike and learning how to work on your own bike doesn't sound like a good proposition for you, there certainly is value in buying a bike from your local shop. We know we aren't the perfect solution for everyone, and for those folks there will always be bike shops.

Is the 17" frame you are riding a 26 inch or a 29er? What is the effective TT length on that bike? That may help us in figuring out the best size for you, thanks!

Jeremy
    Big Daddy,
    The frame was a 2004 Specialized Hard Rock , yes 17" measured from the top tube to the crank ( I think anyway, my friend who built the bike measured it when I commented on always ending up to far forward and wanting a taller stem. ) He had thought it was a large frame which for specialized would have been 19 ". Oh, sorry it was a 26'er .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh68 View Post
    Big Daddy,
    The frame was a 2004 Specialized Hard Rock , yes 17" measured from the top tube to the crank ( I think anyway, my friend who built the bike measured it when I commented on always ending up to far forward and wanting a taller stem. ) He had thought it was a large frame which for specialized would have been 19 ". Oh, sorry it was a 26'er .
    OK, thanks! Do you know what the effective top tube length is on the Hard Rock you are riding?

Thanks again,

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    My Guardian arrived last week, but unfortunately I was away on business.
    Got it put together this morning (no issues), and was able to take it out for a quick spin over lunch.
    Felt great, although my Holiday debauchery did not help my endurance.
    Looking forward to putting some miles on this bike.

P

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    OK, thanks! Do you know what the effective top tube length is on the Hard Rock you are riding?

Thanks again,

Jeremy
    No I don't , but if you tell me what measurement spots I need to measure I can when I get home tonight. Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Airborne Guardian 29er Riders

Google effective top tube and that should show you images of how to measure, but I believe its a measurement from the top of the head tube to the top of the seat tube but in a straight line (parallel to the ground) instead of measuring directly along the top tube.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Re: Airborne Guardian 29er Riders

Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    Google effective top tube and that should show you images of how to measure, but I believe its a measurement from the top of the head tube to the top of the seat tube but in a straight line (parallel to the ground) instead of measuring directly along the top tube.
    Thanks, will do that.

Sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Anybody know If the guardian fork can accommodate a stiffer spring? If so, to what max rider weight?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Indykwak View Post
    Anybody know If the guardian fork can accommodate a stiffer spring? If so, to what max rider weight?
    Rumor has it that RockShox makes stiffer springs for XC28 but I couldn't find one when I looked. Also the 28mm stanchions are just not stiff enough for a heavy rider. My advice would be to save your money for a quality upgrade, Recon, Reba, Tower.... The XC28 isn't worth putting money into...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3