Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Airborne Guardian 29er Riders

I like the bike...Only upgrades I have are white Wellgo MG-1 pedals, and I'd like to put a riser bar instead of that flat curved bar and see how my upper body likes that.

I'll post some pics up soon...

Anyone else having issues with...

Tuning the front derailleur?
    I could not tune it for the life of me. I took it to a fellow rider and did not have much luck either. I took it to a bike shop and they had a hard time tuning it also, and they even called SRAM for advice with no luck. Eventually they got it rideable with tiny issues.

Problems with clearance issues with the front derailleur with the tire?
    Seems clearance is a big factor with this frame running certain tires...
    also on the front derailleur there is a screw on the tail of metal piece that rubs my tire per rotation because a small bulge on the kenda tire...

I had called Airborne and they said nobody has had issues reported yet...so I'm curious if this is true or not...

Would running a x7 or x9 front derailleur help with taller/wider tires?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Nice looking bike, thinking of getting one also, may go with the Trek Mamba which is about 130 bucks more when I factor in shipping and getting the bike put together. The Mamba has a better fork I think. What size is the Guardian?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Mine is 20" assembly was really easy actually...shipping to IL to me was like $50 .

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The shipping charge is $75 now and I live in Ca where the bikes ship from. How tall are you, as I could go with either a 18 or 20 inch. Aside from the issue you described how would you rate the bike?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I am about 6'2 6'3ish with like a 31.5 inseam no shoes if i remember correctly...the bike fits well. I just stood over it barefoot and the top tube just touches the eggs...

With the derailleur issue...ugh i dunno....its kinda annoying...and tire clearance issues....If i did it again I'd prolly buy something from the LBS. I cant order tires because I dont know what exactly will fit.

But I do like it as a starter 29er! and I will keep it as my back up bike for sure...You cant beat the price with the component set up it has...
    I was at a LBS and it compares to a $1050 ( SRAM x5 and shock ) bike just about from what they had, so I went home and ordered this.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    BikingCivic - I noticed your front brake housing is pretty free and is going around the outside of your fork. That could be a big problem if a branch or something were to get caught in there. You might want to look into shortening or rerouting that housing which is easier said than done with hydro's

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I can get a Cannondale Trail SL2 29er for a grand. Is that a good deal, 2012 model.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I couldn't tell ya...but the choice is up to you...lol

Ya i know Sean. Good looking out. hehe That's how it came, I threw a zip tie on there to kinda tuck it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Post some pics of the clearance issue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The LBS got it where the derailleur screw there was not rubbing the tire anymore...but its pretty darn close still. Also between the derailleur and tire I cant stick my finger in between them...so a taller tire would gunk up mud, dirt, and etc... there pretty good (if i could even run a taller tire *tire with taller tread*).

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Wow, too close.

BPP
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Have you had any issues with the rear wheel coming off? I have an Airborne Goblin and my rear wheel has came off 5 times during riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hope you guys get your issues resolved, this convinces me to just go through a LBS for my first 29er.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BPP View Post
    Have you had any issues with the rear wheel coming off? I have an Airborne Goblin and my rear wheel has came off 5 times during riding.
    You need to resolve this now. I can't see the bike from here but I am assuming it is some sort of aluminum alloy. You are wearing a channel into the drop outs that will always make the wheel want to leave the frame. Even the cheesiest bike on the planet should not loose a wheel, once in a while a designer or engineer drops the ball, but then all of these bikes would be doing it.

BPP
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    It is 6061 aluminum frame. It seems like a safety issue to me.

Master of the Obvious
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstar View Post
    Hope you guys get your issues resolved, this convinces me to just go through a LBS for my first 29er.

Good Call, If your not a seasoned bike mech it can actually cost you more in the long run by buying online. I good LBS won't sell you a bike with a misaligned frame or poorly run brake housing.Back in the day when I was a shop rat we had a frame from a major mfg come in missing about 1/3 of weld on the bottom bracket, needless to say we didn't put that bike on the floor for sale.
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean831 View Post
    BikingCivic - I noticed your front brake housing is pretty free and is going around the outside of your fork. That could be a big problem if a branch or something were to get caught in there. You might want to look into shortening or rerouting that housing which is easier said than done with hydro's
    The bike ships with the zip tie for the housing in the RockShox bag (along with the shock manual and RockShox decal) for the consumer to put on the bike. The bike packs better that way than putting the ziptie on before packing.

Regarding the FD, it is somewhat close when shifted down into the small front chainring, but it doesn't hit. This is a bit of a compromise on a 29er with a 3x9 system. The clearance is the best we could make it. That's part of the reason why 2x10 systems are advantageous on 29ers.

In regards to the rear skewer, if it is TIGHT it should not come loose. This is important on 29ers in general. The BB being below the plane of the hubs means that on a vertical drop-out the rear wheel is more susceptable to being pulled out if it is not tight. I rode on a Goblin with those exact skewers for over a year with no issues, but I am anal about my skewers being tight, because in the old days when I used to ride on Ti the CP dropouts were hard and it was difficult for the skewers to get a good bite, and after losing a wheel twice on climbs back then I started making them REALLY tight and never had a problem again. It's now become a habit of mine.

If anyone has any questions or problems, please give us a call or email directly and we would be happy to help, thanks!
    Homebrewer, Patriot, Amateur Photographer

Titanium junkie
    I got news for all of you saying never buy online, go spend a few days
    at your local LBS and see how many bikes come in with issues that
    were put together by the LBS. I don't believe there is anything bad about
    Airborne bikes that can't be fixed by someone taking the time to look and
    think about it, instead of complaining about it on a forum.
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If there is a problem with a bike from a LBS I will just keep going back until it is resolved, if I buy online and have a major problem that the vendor should fix it will be a hassle to send the bike back or I can just pay the LBS to fix the problem. My LBS will take care of the issue for free if I buy from them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudviking View Post
    I got news for all of you saying never buy online, go spend a few days
    at your local LBS and see how many bikes come in with issues that
    were put together by the LBS. I don't believe there is anything bad about
    Airborne bikes that can't be fixed by someone taking the time to look and
    think about it, instead of complaining about it on a forum.

Lets not make this a LBS vs. Online purchase thread. We are asking questions about the bike and trying to resolve issues with them, and showing them off.

Also no my back wheel is not falling off...

mtbr member
    As a small direct-to-consumer bike company, we do whatever it takes to make our customers happy. Our reputation is important to us, but more importantly we want to do "the right thing" if someone has a problem.

I personally don't want to see this become a "buying direct versus buying thru a bike shop" thing. Both have their merits.

For some customers buying their bike thru a shop is truly the best option, and on occasion we will tell someone that. It could be an issue of fit, lack of mechanical ability so they couldn't put the bike together, etc, etc. We would rather be honest and up front than have a dis-satisfied customer later.

But for those folks that are savvy, so their research, aren't hard to fit, and have the mechanical ability to put their bike together and do *some* of their own work, Airborne or any other direct retailler are a viable option. We're here to offer that choice and try to do it better than our competitors that are doing the same thing.

Thanks~!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikingCivic View Post

Would running a x7 or x9 front derailleur help with taller/wider tires?
    The X7 FD and X9 FD have a rivet instead of a screw that holds the cage together, so they will offer 2-3mm more clearance for a larger tire.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    The X7 FD and X9 FD have a rivet instead of a screw that holds the cage together, so they will offer 2-3mm more clearance for a larger tire.
    Awsome! Thanks!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast