mtbr member
    May 2012

Airborne Green Goblin Reba RL Fork Increase Travel Question

Last year i purchased a Reba RL from Kyle (KrazyKreitzer) off of his Green Goblin. I took it to a lbs to get the travel increased from 80mm to 100mm.

The shop just called me and advised me that there are multiple spacers to remove. Do i have to remove both in order to get the full 100mm or will removing both increase the travel to 120? My understanding was that these reba forks were 2012s and could only be increased to 100mm max.

Should i tell them to remove both spacers?

mtbr member
    On their website I see a tech manual for an '11, not a '12 - page 14 should help clarify, but cannot say for certain since they do not list that year in their service section.

Good luck!
    Money doesn't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike, and that is pretty close.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildfifty View Post
    Last year i purchased a Reba RL from Kyle (KrazyKreitzer) off of his Green Goblin. I took it to a lbs to get the travel increased from 80mm to 100mm.

The shop just called me and advised me that there are multiple spacers to remove. Do i have to remove both in order to get the full 100mm or will removing both increase the travel to 120? My understanding was that these reba forks were 2012s and could only be increased to 100mm max.

Should i tell them to remove both spacers?
    It concerns me a little bit that the shop doesn't know the correct answer but anyway........

You just remove one. They are 20mm each, so if you removed both you would increase the travel to 120. Hope that makes sense.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    It concerns me a little bit that the shop doesn't know the correct answer but anyway........

You just remove one. They are 20mm each, so if you removed both you would increase the travel to 120. Hope that makes sense.

Jeremy
    Jeremy, Thanks for the clarification. Were the green goblins equipped with 2011 reba rl forks then?

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildfifty View Post
    Jeremy, Thanks for the clarification. Were the green goblins equipped with 2011 reba rl forks then?
    It depends on when the individual bike was built. We did different runs. That's the best I can tell you.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    BDF, can all of the Reba's be adjusted to 120mm? If so, how would that affect the handling? And would it void the warranty on the goblin and hobgoblin frames?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

I took mine up to 100mm also. Have thought about going 120mm but having 100mm seems to be serving me well so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by coxinio; 02-09-2014 at 12:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Seems like you could give the goblin a different attitude with a bit more travel. Throw on wider bars and shorter stem to make it an evolution clone.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by akaHector View Post
    Seems like you could give the goblin a different attitude with a bit more travel. Throw on wider bars and shorter stem to make it an evolution clone.
    Except for the longer chainstays and still-not-as-slack HT Angle. That said a friend of mine added wide bars/short stem/120mm to his GT with similar geo to the Goblin and loves the way it rides now.

>100mm travel on a bike that shipped as 100 does void the frame warranty, though...
    Eric

mtbr member

I would stick with 100 mm.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by akaHector View Post
    BDF, can all of the Reba's be adjusted to 120mm? If so, how would that affect the handling? And would it void the warranty on the goblin and hobgoblin frames?
    You'd really have to consult RS on the fork question.

A longer travel fork than originally equipped will void our warranty.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.