mtbr member

Airborne going to jump on the 650B Bandwagon?

The title says it, any chances for a 650b Airborne in the future?

Airborne Product Dude
    Like we've stated here and on FB, we are looking at a couple possible models for next year.

We are firm believers in 29ers and have no plans to replace any of our current models with 650b versions. We also are still a relatively small company and have to be very mindful of SKU count and inventory.

Thanks!,

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member

Re: Airborne going to jump on the 650B Bandwagon?

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    We are firm believers in 29ers and have no plans to replace any of our current models with 650b versions.
    Like kickin wing from Joe dirt would say...."its not what you want, its the consumer"

Not saying you should replace any current models, but a 100-120mm fs 27.5 would be amazing!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    How about a full suspension Seeker? Hobseeker?

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    Like kickin wing from Joe dirt would say...."its not what you want, its the consumer"

Not saying you should replace any current models, but a 100-120mm fs 27.5 would be amazing!
    So are you saying the same thing to Niner? There's something to be said for doing something and doing it well versus running after everything out there in the market.

But back on track, one of the 650's we are working on at the moment is a FS rig.

I don't want to go too far into details, but as a small company we have to be very careful about what models we want to develop and create. We can only afford to buy so much inventory and have so much on hand. And we need to ensure that what we develop is well ride-tested and perfect. Testing and tooling are very expensive. I know its hard to understand but we can't just say "let's make that" and have it done right away. Our development cycle is 18+ months generally from time of concept to delivery in the warehouse. Sometimes shorter if we throw a lot of money at something. If we had an unlimited budget like the Big Three that wouldn't be an issue.

Hopefully that makes sense,

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    A slacker hobgoblin would work for me!

Airborne Product Dude
    Oh, and I appreciate the Joe Dirt reference! One of my favorite all time guilty pleasure movies......

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Just to chime in on the economics of the situation... I think one of the reasons Airborne is able to provide high quality bikes to us at very low price is because they are not a huge company. They are big enough where they can get parts at wholesale but not too-big where they have to spend tons of money on large overhead, salaries, etc. I have a feeling some of the big brands charge so much for bikes because they have to pay for inflated expenses that Airborne luckily doesn't have. Idunno just a theory....

mtbr member

Re: Airborne going to jump on the 650B Bandwagon?

I completely understand, just throwing it out there! As of right now I plan on buying an fs xc (probably 650) bike in the next 2-3 years and would love it to be an Airborne

I bought my goblin when I lived in Utah, and it was perfect for the terrain I rode there. But now I live in Minnesota, and I think a fs 650b would be perfect for the tight, rocky, rooty singletrack

mtbr member
    I completely understand, just throwing it out there! As of right now I plan on buying an fs xc (probably 650) bike in the next 2-3 years and would love it to be an Airborne

I bought my goblin when I lived in Utah, and it was perfect for the terrain I rode there. But now I live in Minnesota, and I think a fs 650b would be perfect for the tight, rocky, rooty singletrack

Yea sorry didn't mean for that to sound condescending, just friendly input

mtbr member

Agreed, looking to add a FS 650B in the next year or so. Would love it to be a Airborne aswell. Thats why i threw out the question!

Thanks for the quick response Jeremy, didn't see it on the Facebook page.

Airborne Product Dude
    No worries, that's what I'm here for!

I'm glad that you guys want to see us make more stuff! Just bear with us as we have to do it in a smart way that allows us to grow, while continuint to offer great product and service, and not increase prices. Thanks!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.