Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Airborne Goblin Component Weights

6K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  hrbib21 
#1 ·
Hey, I am in the process of deciding what items to upgrade next on my green Goblin so I took off the seatpost and stem to weigh them. I was too lazy to pull everything off the bars to weigh so if anybody knows the weight of the bars, please add the weight here. I weighed whatever parts I could conveniently get my hands on. I know some of these weights are very weight weenie-ish, but while the parts are off the bike, I figured I might as well. Never know who is going to want some random weight from a part. So here you go:

Complete Stem: 246.4g

Stem Faceplate: 31.7g

Stem Faceplate Bolts: 23.8g

Seatpost: 352.4g

One WTB Tube: 172.8g

See less See more
#3 ·
This is very helpful. You can see clear weight savings with even pretty minor upgrades like the seatpost and stem. The stem is something I'm looking to upgrade anyway due to my riding style and a Thomson seatpost saves quite a bit of weight there.

I did laugh at your weighing of the bolts and the stem clamp by itself though. ;-)

#5 ·
I used a TruVativ Team stem (~150 gr), but honestly anything light and solid should work. I have the Thompson post and it's solid, but definitely spendy. Neither a stem or a seatpost will make the ride smoother, but will shave some weight.

The best thing you can do for $$$ light bike parts is buy a torque wrench and use it. I don't know how many seats I've seen slipping due to under torque and sheared items due to over tightening. Someone I know just had a carbon handlebar failure and looking at the pics, he had the stem faceplate tightened completely flush!!! He essentially crushed them.

#6 ·
The white handlebars that came on the green Goblin weigh 272.2 grams (.60lbs).

While I don't want to get into weighing and posting weights of OE branded components, I will say that the new Goblin bars/stem are slightly lighter by a few grams due to design (mainly the stem) and lack of paint (the bars). The new Goblin seatpost is also slightly lighter due to lack of paint.

While shaving 3-4 lbs by changing out the bars/stem/post is unlikely, you can save some weight here by going to nicer stuff from Thomson, FSA, etc. We use the components that we use because they save a little $$ while functioning well, and also are highly unlikely to fail due to being over-built.

The biggest weight savings will be in the wheels/tires.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy

#7 · (Edited)
Cool. I've already upgraded the front wheel and am feeling a little too poor to upgrade the rear right now. That's why I'm considering gradually upgrading the bars/stem/post when I get enough cash. Thanks for posting the weight of the bars BigDaddyFlyer. I'm not picking on the component choices from Airborne. Can't complain for the price I paid and everything has been very solid (minus the saddle that got bent rails on the first ride).

It looks like it would be pretty reasonable to expect to shave just under a pound by putting on a reasonably light bar/stem/post. I calculated ~0.93-lbs saved by going with Ritchey WCS bar and stem, and the Thomson Masterpiece seatpost.

#8 ·
Cool. I've already upgraded the front wheel and am feeling a little too poor to upgrade the rear right now. That's why I'm considering gradually upgrading the bars/stem/post when I get enough cash. Thanks for posting the weight of the bars BigDaddyFlyer. I'm not picking on the component choices from Airborne.
Yeah no worries, I didn't think you were bagging on us. I just wanted to ensure that in the future no one asks me to go out and weigh every OE component we use :eekster:.

I also wanted to comment on why we use the components we use so that when people do future searches and find the thread its in there for posterity.

Thanks!

Jeremy

#14 ·
Indeed. I guess I should have mentioned that this was without a tube or tire on it (but there was a decent layer of dust on there). Also, the rim strip was included when I weighed it. The stock wheels are perfectly functional and are pretty easy to convert to tubeless (ghetto or Stan's or whatever) so I don't complain about them. I still run the stock wheel on the rear (Gorilla Tape ghetto tubeless) and beat the hell out of it. The wheel never complains so neither do I.

#15 ·
Im gonna chime in here on the wheelset weight issue. When I got my green Goblin I found a Vuelta Nine wheelset for around $270 on the web. I ordered them and offset some of the cost by selling my nearly new WTB wheelset. Published weight on the Vueltas is around 2000 grams per pair. I have been very happy with them. Nothing wrong with the WTBs though. Just wanted to shave some weight at a maximum impact with minimal cost. Love my Goblin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.