Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Airborne Goblin

mtbr member

Airborne Goblin

Lookin to pull the trigger on a '13 Goblin. Anybody out there a "Goblin" believer? Let me hear the pros and cons!

mtbr member
    I was just talking a buddy of mine through buying a new bike, and he's pulled the trigger on the '13 goblin. He did it because A) it's a good frame that B) has full X7 on it and C) it's the same price as all the x5/x7 mix bikes available at the LBS. In essence, it's the most bike he could get for the money in that price range.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Top Ten 29"er Products of 2011: Airborne Goblin 29
    with links to earlier tests.
    The fork is the standout component -- no upgrade needed.

mtbr member
    I'm becoming a true believer and for the price it cant be beat! I have a buddy who wants to buy one also,but he is very skeptical about buying a bike,in a box,site unseen with no test ride.Any comments about that aspect of the purchase?

MTB Fanatic
    As long as you've ridden similar bikes at your LBS, you should have a good idea what bike works for you. I have a Guardian that I rode site unseen, but I had ridden similar bikes and it worked out great. If in doubt, give Airborne a call. They helped me work out my measurements and gave me a good idea of the ride.

local bike dr.
    Aug 2012
    From reading reviews by people who've ridden multiple HT 29er bikes, there have been a couple references to the Specialized Rockhopper 29er having very similar feel to the Airborne Guardian/Goblin. I would include a test ride on the Rockhopper to help determine how the Guardian/Goblin might feel.
    Last edited by G0at; 08-31-2012 at 04:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm also considering this bike to replace my vintage Stumpjumper. Looking at pictures of them the geometry seems to bebut it different between them but I've not checked the numbers. To me it looks like the back wheel would be a bit more forward on the Stumpjumper because of the bend in the seat tube.

Same components for half the price is a heck of a deal tho...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    +1 For the Goblin. I've had mine for a few months and love it. Very good bang for your buck and customer service at Airborne has been fantastic. I was going to buy the Guardian, and because I'm a heavier guy decided on the Goblin with a better fork. Glad I did. Easy to put together and the majority of tuning I did was from crashing it and bending the rear derailure on the first ride out. It's all good now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    it looks to be a really good bike from what I have read and heard from others

mtbr member
    May 2012
    6:19pm Clicked the approved transaction button..no turning back now.

Let the waiting and aprehension begin..

Looking at a used Park stand on Sunday for $60, not sure of the model.

It's going to be interesting to go over and through this bike.

Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Congrats. Looking forward to the pics.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Get the stand. How about an unboxing and assembly vid for youtube.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Get the stand. How about an unboxing and assembly vid for you tube.
    Youtube?
    What's that... I am an "old" geezer (just turned 48 last week)
    Don't know much about this fancy thinking box stuff..

Hopefully if I can practice patience, I might give it a whirl. But every time I intended to do some type of how-to with pictures and procedures for upgrading one of my cars, I invariably end up with just two pictures. How it looked before I started and the finished project.

mtbr member
    I also took the plunge and bought up last week on the new Goblin. Mr. Visa transaction has already gone through. I'm a noob to say the least but I will try and get some photos up as soon as I can. I have the bike being delivered to my works brokerage warehouse in NY where it will be redirected up to where I work. I hope the tax and duty police take it easy on me. I heard bikes get taxed pretty hard.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Been contemplating a Goblin for quite some time... Now I think I've decided to wait for the HobGoblin. This aging body needs full suspension!

mtbr member
    I'm also considering a New Goblin. Lucky for me I'll be able to check it out in person the first weekend of October at Midwest Outdoor Experience in Dayton, OH.
    Last edited by KrazyKreitzer; 09-24-2012 at 03:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I am not of the fans of bikes. I don't like to ride a bike. Anyway, I think MoTec is right

Quote Originally Posted by MoTec View Post
    I'm also considering this bike to replace my vintage Stumpjumper. Looking at pictures of them the geometry seems to bebut it different between them but I've not checked the numbers. To me it looks like the back wheel would be a bit more forward on the Stumpjumper because of the bend in the seat tube.

Same components for half the price is a heck of a deal tho...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Airborne Goblin

Note: I know that this post is probably not in the correct thread. However, I am new to the site and don't have enough posts yet to create my own

I decided to finally pull the trigger and purchase the Goblin after several weeks of researching. The bike arrived late Thursday (9/13) evening which was exactly one week from the day I placed the order. I immediately contacted a friend who is more knowledgeable in building bikes and told him to come over Saturday morning. Saturday morning came and I was now more than ready to get this Coolaid Green Goblin built and out on the trials. We opened the box and started cutting about a hundred zip ties. Everything was going good and I was already trying to decide where I should take it for the first ride. Then we looked at the rear part of the frame where the skewer for the rear wheel sets into the frame itself. Is it just me or is that piece of the frame bent? Nooo...Crap...Yep!

Packaging - I have to say that my Goblin was packaged extremely well and I would seriously doubt that this occurred during the shipping process. I think you could drop the box off the roof and the bike would be fine. I would suspect that the issue occurred on the manufacturing side prior to shipping.

Goblin - Despite the aforementioned issue, the build quality appears good and the bike itself looks great!

Time to call / email Airborne and see what happens now. I sure hope they have an answer as this was not a cheap purchase for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Airborne Goblin-img_20120915_100043.jpg  

Airborne Goblin-img_20120915_093553.jpg  

Airborne Goblin-img_20120915_093546.jpg  

Airborne Goblin-img_20120915_093612.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dude, that sucks large. On a positve note I'm sure Airborne will act swiftly and get you a new frame in no time. Their CS seems to be top notch being a fairly small operation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dp16052 View Post
    Note: I know that this post is probably not in the correct thread. However, I am new to the site and don't have enough posts yet to create my own

I decided to finally pull the trigger and purchase the Goblin after several weeks of researching. The bike arrived late Thursday (9/13) evening which was exactly one week from the day I placed the order. I immediately contacted a friend who is more knowledgeable in building bikes and told him to come over Saturday morning. Saturday morning came and I was now more than ready to get this Coolaid Green Goblin built and out on the trials. We opened the box and started cutting about a hundred zip ties. Everything was going good and I was already trying to decide where I should take it for the first ride. Then we looked at the rear part of the frame where the skewer for the rear wheel sets into the frame itself. Is it just me or is that piece of the frame bent? Nooo...Crap...Yep!

Packaging - I have to say that my Goblin was packaged extremely well and I would seriously doubt that this occurred during the shipping process. I think you could drop the box off the roof and the bike would be fine. I would suspect that the issue occurred on the manufacturing side prior to shipping.

Goblin - Despite the aforementioned issue, the build quality appears good and the bike itself looks great!

Time to call / email Airborne and see what happens now. I sure hope they have an answer as this was not a cheap purchase for me.
    That color is amazing!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleevem1 View Post
    Dude, that sucks large. On a positve note I'm sure Airborne will act swiftly and get you a new frame in no time. Their CS seems to be top notch being a fairly small operation.
    Yes, everything that I have read indicates that their CS is top notch. I know they answered all my questions prior to the actual order extremely fast despite the holiday weekend. I have already left a message for them and will send a follow-up email with the photos. Will follow-up on here once I get to talk with them on Monday.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    That color is amazing!!
    Indeed! The color looked good on their website but it really didn't do it justice. When I opened that box that green was better than expected. I wouldn't be surprised if Airborne gets a few more orders when I get to show of the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    It stinks that you ordered and waited. I'm sure you were geeked when the box finally arrived.

It sounds like Airborne will make this right.

Please, post your customer service experience whether good or bad.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Wow, that is horrible! Please post your CS experience. They have a good rep...

Airborne Product Dude
    Sorry to see that. Eric will be calling you back today to work with you. More than likely we will just send you out a complete new bike.
    Airborne Dude.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast