Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airborne Goblin

mtbr member

Airborne Goblin

Lookin to pull the trigger on a '13 Goblin. Anybody out there a "Goblin" believer? Let me hear the pros and cons!

WillWorkForTrail
    I was just talking a buddy of mine through buying a new bike, and he's pulled the trigger on the '13 goblin. He did it because A) it's a good frame that B) has full X7 on it and C) it's the same price as all the x5/x7 mix bikes available at the LBS. In essence, it's the most bike he could get for the money in that price range.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Top Ten 29"er Products of 2011: Airborne Goblin 29
    with links to earlier tests.
    The fork is the standout component -- no upgrade needed.

mtbr member
    I'm becoming a true believer and for the price it cant be beat! I have a buddy who wants to buy one also,but he is very skeptical about buying a bike,in a box,site unseen with no test ride.Any comments about that aspect of the purchase?

NeedGod.com
    As long as you've ridden similar bikes at your LBS, you should have a good idea what bike works for you. I have a Guardian that I rode site unseen, but I had ridden similar bikes and it worked out great. If in doubt, give Airborne a call. They helped me work out my measurements and gave me a good idea of the ride.

local bike dr.
    Aug 2012
    From reading reviews by people who've ridden multiple HT 29er bikes, there have been a couple references to the Specialized Rockhopper 29er having very similar feel to the Airborne Guardian/Goblin. I would include a test ride on the Rockhopper to help determine how the Guardian/Goblin might feel.
    Last edited by G0at; 08-31-2012 at 04:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm also considering this bike to replace my vintage Stumpjumper. Looking at pictures of them the geometry seems to bebut it different between them but I've not checked the numbers. To me it looks like the back wheel would be a bit more forward on the Stumpjumper because of the bend in the seat tube.

Same components for half the price is a heck of a deal tho...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    +1 For the Goblin. I've had mine for a few months and love it. Very good bang for your buck and customer service at Airborne has been fantastic. I was going to buy the Guardian, and because I'm a heavier guy decided on the Goblin with a better fork. Glad I did. Easy to put together and the majority of tuning I did was from crashing it and bending the rear derailure on the first ride out. It's all good now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    it looks to be a really good bike from what I have read and heard from others

mtbr member
    May 2012
    6:19pm Clicked the approved transaction button..no turning back now.

Let the waiting and aprehension begin..

Looking at a used Park stand on Sunday for $60, not sure of the model.

It's going to be interesting to go over and through this bike.

Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Congrats. Looking forward to the pics.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Get the stand. How about an unboxing and assembly vid for youtube.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Get the stand. How about an unboxing and assembly vid for you tube.
    Youtube?
    What's that... I am an "old" geezer (just turned 48 last week)
    Don't know much about this fancy thinking box stuff..

Hopefully if I can practice patience, I might give it a whirl. But every time I intended to do some type of how-to with pictures and procedures for upgrading one of my cars, I invariably end up with just two pictures. How it looked before I started and the finished project.

mtbr member
    I also took the plunge and bought up last week on the new Goblin. Mr. Visa transaction has already gone through. I'm a noob to say the least but I will try and get some photos up as soon as I can. I have the bike being delivered to my works brokerage warehouse in NY where it will be redirected up to where I work. I hope the tax and duty police take it easy on me. I heard bikes get taxed pretty hard.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Been contemplating a Goblin for quite some time... Now I think I've decided to wait for the HobGoblin. This aging body needs full suspension!

mtbr member
    I'm also considering a New Goblin. Lucky for me I'll be able to check it out in person the first weekend of October at Midwest Outdoor Experience in Dayton, OH.
    Last edited by KrazyKreitzer; 09-24-2012 at 03:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I am not of the fans of bikes. I don't like to ride a bike. Anyway, I think MoTec is right

Quote Originally Posted by MoTec View Post
    I'm also considering this bike to replace my vintage Stumpjumper. Looking at pictures of them the geometry seems to bebut it different between them but I've not checked the numbers. To me it looks like the back wheel would be a bit more forward on the Stumpjumper because of the bend in the seat tube.

Same components for half the price is a heck of a deal tho...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Airborne Goblin

Note: I know that this post is probably not in the correct thread. However, I am new to the site and don't have enough posts yet to create my own

I decided to finally pull the trigger and purchase the Goblin after several weeks of researching. The bike arrived late Thursday (9/13) evening which was exactly one week from the day I placed the order. I immediately contacted a friend who is more knowledgeable in building bikes and told him to come over Saturday morning. Saturday morning came and I was now more than ready to get this Coolaid Green Goblin built and out on the trials. We opened the box and started cutting about a hundred zip ties. Everything was going good and I was already trying to decide where I should take it for the first ride. Then we looked at the rear part of the frame where the skewer for the rear wheel sets into the frame itself. Is it just me or is that piece of the frame bent? Nooo...Crap...Yep!

Packaging - I have to say that my Goblin was packaged extremely well and I would seriously doubt that this occurred during the shipping process. I think you could drop the box off the roof and the bike would be fine. I would suspect that the issue occurred on the manufacturing side prior to shipping.

Goblin - Despite the aforementioned issue, the build quality appears good and the bike itself looks great!

Time to call / email Airborne and see what happens now. I sure hope they have an answer as this was not a cheap purchase for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Airborne Goblin-img_20120915_100043.jpg  

Airborne Goblin-img_20120915_093553.jpg  

Airborne Goblin-img_20120915_093546.jpg  

Airborne Goblin-img_20120915_093612.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dude, that sucks large. On a positve note I'm sure Airborne will act swiftly and get you a new frame in no time. Their CS seems to be top notch being a fairly small operation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dp16052 View Post
    Note: I know that this post is probably not in the correct thread. However, I am new to the site and don't have enough posts yet to create my own

I decided to finally pull the trigger and purchase the Goblin after several weeks of researching. The bike arrived late Thursday (9/13) evening which was exactly one week from the day I placed the order. I immediately contacted a friend who is more knowledgeable in building bikes and told him to come over Saturday morning. Saturday morning came and I was now more than ready to get this Coolaid Green Goblin built and out on the trials. We opened the box and started cutting about a hundred zip ties. Everything was going good and I was already trying to decide where I should take it for the first ride. Then we looked at the rear part of the frame where the skewer for the rear wheel sets into the frame itself. Is it just me or is that piece of the frame bent? Nooo...Crap...Yep!

Packaging - I have to say that my Goblin was packaged extremely well and I would seriously doubt that this occurred during the shipping process. I think you could drop the box off the roof and the bike would be fine. I would suspect that the issue occurred on the manufacturing side prior to shipping.

Goblin - Despite the aforementioned issue, the build quality appears good and the bike itself looks great!

Time to call / email Airborne and see what happens now. I sure hope they have an answer as this was not a cheap purchase for me.
    That color is amazing!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleevem1 View Post
    Dude, that sucks large. On a positve note I'm sure Airborne will act swiftly and get you a new frame in no time. Their CS seems to be top notch being a fairly small operation.
    Yes, everything that I have read indicates that their CS is top notch. I know they answered all my questions prior to the actual order extremely fast despite the holiday weekend. I have already left a message for them and will send a follow-up email with the photos. Will follow-up on here once I get to talk with them on Monday.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    That color is amazing!!
    Indeed! The color looked good on their website but it really didn't do it justice. When I opened that box that green was better than expected. I wouldn't be surprised if Airborne gets a few more orders when I get to show of the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    It stinks that you ordered and waited. I'm sure you were geeked when the box finally arrived.

It sounds like Airborne will make this right.

Please, post your customer service experience whether good or bad.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Wow, that is horrible! Please post your CS experience. They have a good rep...

mtbr member
    Sorry to see that. Eric will be calling you back today to work with you. More than likely we will just send you out a complete new bike.
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Update - Airborne called me by 9:00 this morning and was already on top of the issue. They are shipping a new bike today and have scheduled UPS to pickup the damaged bike tomorrow. I will post again when I have the new bike in hand but this has been a painless process. Its nice to work with a company with good customer service reps who seem to care about their company. Two thumbs up to Airborne!

mtbr member
    Thats awesome! If they had a Kool aid green goblin in 21" i'd buy it in a minute!

Good luck and thanks for the update

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I would say this is one of those unforseen advantages of working with a small (direct) company. They know that to sell bikes, their reputation, especially in the area of customer service, must be impeccable.

Keep us posted on the prgress.

NeedGod.com
    Wow, that's crazy about the frame damage. Way to step in and take care of business, Airborne!
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    Thats awesome! If they had a Kool aid green goblin in 21" i'd buy it in a minute!

Good luck and thanks for the update
    We have some 22's, which fit like most companies' 21.5" models. Take a look at the effective TT and compare to what else you've been looking at.

We only have a few of them and a few 18's and then they are all gone. So if you want one the time is growing short, thanks!
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dp16052 View Post
    Update - Airborne called me by 9:00 this morning and was already on top of the issue. They are shipping a new bike today and have scheduled UPS to pickup the damaged bike tomorrow. I will post again when I have the new bike in hand but this has been a painless process. Its nice to work with a company with good customer service reps who seem to care about their company. Two thumbs up to Airborne!
    Glad that it worked out. Sorry that you have to wait longer to ride though!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    We have some 22's, which fit like most companies' 21.5" models. Take a look at the effective TT and compare to what else you've been looking at.

We only have a few of them and a few 18's and then they are all gone. So if you want one the time is growing short, thanks!
    Idk if a 22 will do me justice. But I'm loving the look and price of the zeppelin elite

mtbr member
    What are your measurements?

Height?
    Inseam?
    Arm Length?
    Torso Length?

I can let you know if it will fit. Thanks!

Jeremy

mtbr member

Height?
    Inseam?
    Arm Length?
    Torso Length?

Jeremy
    I'll post up some measurements at lunch. I'm currently freezing my @ss off on a job site. Thanks! Maybe you could just paint me at zeppelin kool aid green?? Haha

mtbr member

Height? 6'3"
    Inseam? 33"
    Arm Length? 27"
    Torso Length? 25"

Jeremy
    Did these measurements by myself. Let me know if something don't add up.

My build is very wide. Wear a 17-1/2 35-36 dress shirt with the collar opened up. Broad chest. Sissy legs. Hence why I'm coming back to biking haha

Thanks
    Last edited by jkidd_39; 09-18-2012 at 12:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Height?
    Inseam?
    Arm Length?
    Torso Length?

Jeremy
    Height and inseam I know how to measure. What's the correct way to measure arm length and torso length?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Sorry for the delayed response as I am in Denver on my way to Vegas for Interbike as noted in one of my other posts. Given your info, I'd say you'd fit perfect on our 22. You may end up buying a shorter stem to bring the reach back a little after purchase, like maybe a 100mm.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hey Jeremy,
    A fitting, please! I expect I'll take the biggest bike but I'm also wondering about stem length recommendations, etc.

Height 6'4"
    Inseam 37" (pelvic bone to floor)
    Arm Length 30" (point of shoulder to tip of little finger)
    Torso Length 20" (C7 to a line between the top of the hip bones)

Looking at these numbers it sounds like my torso is short and my legs are extra long compared to others.

What do you think?

mtbr member
    Hey Jeremy,
    A fitting, please! I expect I'll take the biggest bike but I'm also wondering about stem length recommendations, etc.

Height 6'4"
    Inseam 37" (pelvic bone to floor)
    Arm Length 30" (point of shoulder to tip of little finger)
    Torso Length 20" (C7 to a line between the top of the hip bones)

Looking at these numbers it sounds like my torso is short and my legs are extra long compared to others.

What do you think?
    I agree. Are you measuring to where your pants stop? I went from right below my most important parts to my ankle bone.

Your only two inches taller than me but your numbers are quite a bit more. But then again I don't know what I'm doing anyways haha

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I am usually smack in-between small and medium frames, but thinking a small would work best for my first 29er.
    Last edited by BodyLinksystems; 10-07-2012 at 11:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    wow, that green is gorgeous! I wasnt so fond of it the way it shows on their website, it clearly does it no justice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm a new mtn biker and I pulled the trigger on the Kool Aid Goblin about a month ago. Took a little time to get use to the 2x10, but loving the bike so far! I get a lot of random people on the mountain asking me "hey is that the airborne goblin?" heh

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on a Green Goblin, just waiting for a response on fitment. I'm pretty sure the 18" is right, but want to make sure.

....then I just need to come up with a way of telling the wife that I NEEDED to spend a grand on my first mountain bike. Luckily she was remembering that the one she has now was $500 almost 15 years ago

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwalsh9152 View Post
    I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on a Green Goblin, just waiting for a response on fitment. I'm pretty sure the 18" is right, but want to make sure.

....then I just need to come up with a way of telling the wife that I NEEDED to spend a grand on my first mountain bike. Luckily she was remembering that the one she has now was $500 almost 15 years ago
    Would 2x10 and Reba ring any bells in her? lol

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    lol that would get me nothing more than a blank stare in response

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    ....then I just need to come up with a way of telling the wife that I NEEDED to spend a grand on my first mountain bike
    my girlfriend asked me how much my bike was... I just said "oh, I got a good deal based on the components". she left it at that... success!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm gonna work the "fat guys break cheap things" angle, and that I spend nearly half as much annually on her gym membership that she seldom uses

mtbr member
    I'm gonna work the "fat guys break cheap things" angle, and that I spend nearly half as much annually on her gym membership that she seldom uses
    We must be brothers cuz I used those same two lines to buy a Zeppelin. And still get pissed monthly when that $60 gym membership pulls from my bank account. Worst Xmas present ever.

mtbr member
    My wife actually uses her gym membership so when my bike budget went from $300 to $600 then to $1,000 and finally plateaued at $1,200 I just told her the bike is a great value and that was it. Then she got the opportunity to work some OT and the deal is done.

mtbr member

Hey if you sent me a PM or email requesting some fitting advice I may have missed it. Can you resend or post your dims here and I can help you out? Thanks!

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I just PM'd you

Thanks Jeremy

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I just ordered my green goblin Tuesday morning. I think I got the last 18. When I went back on the site after work it said they were all out. After a brief panic attack I realized it wouldn't have let me buy it if there weren't any left (I hope). Right now I'm just waiting (im)patiently for it to arrive.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mantra99 View Post
    I just ordered my green goblin Tuesday morning. I think I got the last 18. When I went back on the site after work it said they were all out. After a brief panic attack I realized it wouldn't have let me buy it if there weren't any left (I hope). Right now I'm just waiting (im)patiently for it to arrive.
    Congratulations!!!!

I hope it gets to you soon.

Send pictures before, during, and after the build.

mtbr member
    Yep, I personally turned off the 18inch order option after your order went in. You are good. The way our system works is that once I turn off the option, it won't allow anymore orders to come in for that size.

All we have left in the green Goblin are 22's, and I *think* there are around 10 or so of them left at most.

Thanks!

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Oh, FYI.

We have one 20" demo (green) Goblin left that we are selling for $700 plus local tax, local pick-up only. Usual wear and scratches, probably about 100 off-road demo miles on it.

If you are local to us in Dayton, OH and missed out on getting one of the green ones and ride a 20inch frame size, here's your last chance.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yep, I personally turned off the 18inch order option after your order went in. You are good. The way our system works is that once I turn off the option, it won't allow anymore orders to come in for that size.

All we have left in the green Goblin are 22's, and I *think* there are around 10 or so of them left at most.

Thanks!

Jeremy
    Sweet! Any idea how long it'll take to get to Chicago?

mtbr member
    Once our warehouse ships the bike, Chicago is about a 4 day ship.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    so I assume I got the second to last 18" green goblin then? lol

Any idea when they will be shipping Jeremy? And how long on average does Boston take?

mtbr member
    Boston is around 5 days, 6 if UPS is slammed busy.

I know that both of your orders are in the ship queu for today, so hopefully I will be shooting some tracking#'s to both of you by email tomorrow morning.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    awesome, thanks. Hopefully I will get it by next Friday! it will kill me if I know its sitting in my garage waiting for me for over a week while Im away for work.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Fantastic! Hopefully the weather will stay good so I get a chance to ride.

mtbr member
    Oh, FYI.

We have one 20" demo (green) Goblin left that we are selling for $700 plus local tax, local pick-up only. Usual wear and scratches, probably about 100 off-road demo miles on it.

If you are local to us in Dayton, OH and missed out on getting one of the green ones and ride a 20inch frame size, here's your last chance.

Thanks!
    Left a vm and sent you an email.

mtbr member
    Sweet! Any idea how long it'll take to get to Chicago?

so I assume I got the second to last 18" green goblin then? lol

Any idea when they will be shipping Jeremy? And how long on average does Boston take?
    Tracking#'s went out to both of you guys this morning via email, thanks~

mtbr member
    May 2012
    awesome, thanks. Hopefully I will get it by next Friday! it will kill me if I know its sitting in my garage waiting for me for over a week while Im away for work.
    You don't want to know that feeling.
    My Black Goblin was delivered last Tuesday, and it is still in the box!

Hopefully, I will get a chance to put it together today. I plan to start the weekend early

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Tracking#'s went out to both of you guys this morning via email, thanks~
    Thanks! I swear there was less than a minute between when my phone alerted the email with the tracking number, and then the email that you posted this.....which reminds me, I need to turn those damn alerts off!

Quote Originally Posted by OilburnerDe View Post
    You don't want to know that feeling.
    My Black Goblin was delivered last Tuesday, and it is still in the box!

Hopefully, I will get a chance to put it together today. I plan to start the weekend early
    that sucks! thankfully, my delivery date is Wednesday, I'm gonna have a crazy week I think, hopefully I will get it assembled and adjusted to ride before the weekend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Jeremy,

I finally got my Goblin today! One thing, the bike on page one where the dropout was bent, something must be shifting in transit because my bike box was perfect, but the protection had shifted there and I ended up with a small chip on the backside of the right dropout. Just an FYI, mine is ok....but it might be something worth looking into with the packaging

Now if the weather would just cooperate so I could ride!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I got mine today too. It got here at 1230, took about an hour and a half to put together and another hour or so to get the derailers set up. After that it was to the trail for a ride! I have to say that I love the bike. I only have two complaints: first it left my lower back sore but I can chalk that up to being used to fs. The other thing is I wish there was an airborne sticker in the box for my car. I would proudly display that on my car.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    lol I was disappointed by the lack of a sticker too!

I still need to adjust the derailleurs as well. I played with the rear a bit, Im stubborn and enjoy trying to teach myself how to make something work.....couldnt figure out that voodoo on my own though.

I think Im good to go now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yeah I bought a bike maintenance book when I got my old bike. It came in very handy. Make sure you get a high pressure pump to keep your fork inflated since its an air shock. I got mine on at performance on the way to the trail for 39.99. Probably a good idea to check it whenever you check tire pressure. I inflated mine to 140 psi since I weigh 210 lbs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    thanks, I was just reading about fork setup a few minutes ago.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yeah you probably noticed to sticker on the left stanchion that tells you how much to inflate it.

keeptrollintrollintrollin
    I asked for some stickers from Airborne (thanks again Jeremy!)and they sent me TWO sheets of stickers! Various designs and sizes. I used up one sheet and gave the other to my friend who bought a goblin also so he could show his Airborne pride! Also when I bought the mechanics shirt ($24 and is Awesome!) they sent me a sticker sheet!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Faulty Freehub on Goblin

BigDaddyFlyer

I'd PM you but I don't have enough posts yet.

I took my Green Goblin to the LBS last week and was told my freehub was junk. The mechanic told me it could fail at any point.

I contacted Eric two days ago about a replacement. I haven't been able to get a hold of him since. I think he was looking into just getting me a whole new wheel. Is there someone else I can talk to? I'd like to expedite the process as much as possible. I know you guys are a small company.

We've only got a few weeks left here in Missouri before the weather starts getting crappy. I'd like to get in all of the riding I can

mtbr member
    I spoke with Eric and he should be calling you or have already spoken to you. Thanks~

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks Jeremy. Eric got a hold of me and will be shipping a wheel out shortly. I appreciate the quick response from both of you. Great customer service.

Mtn View, CA
    Any update on the Goblin XO mentioned in the modified Airbornes thread?
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

mtbr member
    Goblin XO's are being produced next week sometime with an anticipated warehouse delivery date of the first or second week of November. More info to come, thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Holy S! I love my new bike! Let me give some background...I had a 2003 giant VT-2. It was the predecessor to the Trance. It was a sweet bike, but I did not ride it much due to young kids. I also had a hybrid bike for greenway rides with said kids, and I have a full-on road bike, which still gets a good bit of use. So, I decided to sell the FS mountain bike and the hybrid and buy a hardtail. I figured it would cover the greenways and the occasional trail ride that I steal time for...and I would get a new bike without spending much out of pocket!

This was my second internet bike, after 3 LBS bikes. My first experience was good with bikes direct, so I started my search there. However, most of the stuff I was interested in was out of stock. I looked around more and eventually had it down to the BAMF Kimura and the Goblin. I actually placed an order for the BAMF. However, I had to wait b/c it was on back-order. I kept reading reviews and it soon became apparent that all the BAMF reviews were plants. They all had the same pattern. On the other hand, the Airborne reviews seemed much more authentic. I like the Airbornes online persona, much more than BAMF. Plus, I was a little turned off by the marketing approach of giantnerd and BAMF.

So, I cancelled the BAMF and ordered one of the last few green goblins. I have had it two weeks, but finally got it on the trails today. This bike is a joy to ride. Apples to oranges I know, but it is more fun to ride than my "higher end" 26 inch FS bike was.

So, here I am. I am sure I will be back for some dumb questions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Well, I did it! I just ordered a 22" New Goblin!

I'll post back after it shows up with my impressions.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Well, I did it! I just ordered a 22" New Goblin!

I'll post back after it shows up with my impressions.
    Congrats!!

Now you have to get to through the hard part.....the waiting. Although your wait shouldn't be as long as those of us who pre-ordered and had the whole transport on a cargo ship thing going on.

I just did my second trail ride (it's been over 20 years since I last rode) on my 18" today for 6.42 miles. It was in the low 40's this morning and I have no appropriate gear, not even a helmet ( I know, I know, it will be here Tuesday) So it was a chilly ride, shouldn't have worn shorts but it wasn't to bad. But I was definitely feeling it.

Hopefully I can get out tomorrow as well, won't be as cold, but depends on how the lower back feels. I may just do some road riding and try to dial in the bike more.

Again, Congrats!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by runtn View Post
    Holy S! I love my new bike! Let me give some background...I had a 2003 giant VT-2. It was the predecessor to the Trance. It was a sweet bike, but I did not ride it much due to young kids. I also had a hybrid bike for greenway rides with said kids, and I have a full-on road bike, which still gets a good bit of use. So, I decided to sell the FS mountain bike and the hybrid and buy a hardtail. I figured it would cover the greenways and the occasional trail ride that I steal time for...and I would get a new bike without spending much out of pocket!

This was my second internet bike, after 3 LBS bikes. My first experience was good with bikes direct, so I started my search there. However, most of the stuff I was interested in was out of stock. I looked around more and eventually had it down to the BAMF Kimura and the Goblin. I actually placed an order for the BAMF. However, I had to wait b/c it was on back-order. I kept reading reviews and it soon became apparent that all the BAMF reviews were plants. They all had the same pattern. On the other hand, the Airborne reviews seemed much more authentic. I like the Airbornes online persona, much more than BAMF. Plus, I was a little turned off by the marketing approach of giantnerd and BAMF.

So, I cancelled the BAMF and ordered one of the last few green goblins. I have had it two weeks, but finally got it on the trails today. This bike is a joy to ride. Apples to oranges I know, but it is more fun to ride than my "higher end" 26 inch FS bike was.

So, here I am. I am sure I will be back for some dumb questions.
    Wow, thanks so much for for the kind words. Glad to hear you like your bike!

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Goblin XO's are being produced next week sometime with an anticipated warehouse delivery date of the first or second week of November. More info to come, thanks!
    Any info? Specs, price? Can you throw a couch in on the deal? (I'll need said couch to sleep on for buying a 3rd Airborne).
    There's only one bigger sheep than manufacturer's - consumers! - AndrewTO

mtbr member

XO full 2x10 groupset
    Black Flag Pro wheelset
    Reba RLT fork w/15mm Maxle
    FSA SLK Bars/stem/post

That's all for now. More to be revealed later, thanks!

mtbr member

XO full 2x10 groupset
    Black Flag Pro wheelset
    Reba RLT fork w/15mm Maxle
    FSA SLK Bars/stem/post

That's all for now. More to be revealed later, thanks!
    Are you keeping the same color for this build?

Please say no

mtbr member
    What's wrong with the black on the current Goblin?

But to answer your question, no it's going to be a different colour than black............

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Wheee!

Just got the email that my order has shipped. How long does it take to get to South Texas?

mtbr member
    Wheee!

Just got the email that my order has shipped. How long does it take to get to South Texas?
    Usually it's 2-3 days. Hope you like it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Sorry to post this here but I can't start a new thread yet. Love my Goblin and have had some fun with it. Last week unfortunately I took a spill (bike stayed where i came off it and I went the other way) while riding and to much of my surprise the front disk was bent significantly (unridable) afterwards. I'm a relatively new rider and don't have much experience with bike tolerances but I did ride a Walmart bike for a while and have taken some nasty spills on that and never had any problems ever. So the question is, are the higher end wheels not as stout as the ones on my Walmart bike and bend easy? If thats the case I might need to adjust my riding style.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    So I got my bike. It was packaged pretty well but did sustain a little scratch on the top tube from the left shifters and they are missing a little paint, too. Not a big deal, tho. Just looks like the packing material wasn't quite put together right, there. All in all - very nice packaging.

Assembly wasn't bad at all but I do have to wonder if the stem is attached to the steerer tube backwards for a reason (maybe so it packs better?) or if that is an intelligence test to see if people tighten it down that way and end up with the fork backwards. I could tell something was weird but wasn't sure what right away. Glad I passed if it was a test.

I did a quick test fit and it feels pretty good but I do think I'm going to want a shorter stem. Will probably get some Ergon GP2 or GP3 grips, too. First I need to get out on it and see how it feels.

I haven't really started tuning it up yet but I should get that done tomorrow after work. Will post about my impressions after a ride or two.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cavman217 View Post
    Sorry to post this here but I can't start a new thread yet. Love my Goblin and have had some fun with it. Last week unfortunately I took a spill (bike stayed where i came off it and I went the other way) while riding and to much of my surprise the front disk was bent significantly (unridable) afterwards. I'm a relatively new rider and don't have much experience with bike tolerances but I did ride a Walmart bike for a while and have taken some nasty spills on that and never had any problems ever. So the question is, are the higher end wheels not as stout as the ones on my Walmart bike and bend easy? If thats the case I might need to adjust my riding style.
    You can't correlate crashing on one bike and not breaking anything with a different crash on another bike that breaks something. There are so many dynamic factors involved that it is impossible.

That being said, generally WalMart level bikes are made with cheaper components that for the most part aren't as durable as higher end bikes: mild steel bars/stem/posts, single-walled rims, freewheels vs cassettes, etc. However, the brake rotors on Wal-Mart level bikes are super cheap and tend to be a lot thicker (and a LOT heavier). They *may* take a direct hit a little better but also are nearly impossible to true back up if they are bent, and are more prone to rust due to the grade of steel used. That doesn't mean that your Wal-Mart rotor would not have been bent in the same crash.

No matter what bike you are riding, its a good habit to learn how to ride "smooth and light". Your components will thank you in the long run and so will your body. Plus you get the added benefit of generally being faster on the trail if you learn how to pick smoother lines and flow versus riding like a tank.

If the rotor isn't bent to bad it should be able to be easily straightened. If it is toast, local shops tend to have 6-bolt 160mm rotors in spades since they are the most common size and often people upgrade to 180mm fronts and have the take-offs.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy

mtbr member
    So I got my bike. It was packaged pretty well but did sustain a little scratch on the top tube from the left shifters and they are missing a little paint, too. Not a big deal, tho. Just looks like the packing material wasn't quite put together right, there. All in all - very nice packaging.

Assembly wasn't bad at all but I do have to wonder if the stem is attached to the steerer tube backwards for a reason (maybe so it packs better?) or if that is an intelligence test to see if people tighten it down that way and end up with the fork backwards. I could tell something was weird but wasn't sure what right away. Glad I passed if it was a test.

I did a quick test fit and it feels pretty good but I do think I'm going to want a shorter stem. Will probably get some Ergon GP2 or GP3 grips, too. First I need to get out on it and see how it feels.

I haven't really started tuning it up yet but I should get that done tomorrow after work. Will post about my impressions after a ride or two.
    I'm so sorry to hear about the scratches! If you would like we would happily take the bike back and send you a replacement.

As far as the stem goes, we've covered that a few times on here. Like most other manufacturers, we turn the stem around when packing the bike to make the box smaller and also help protect it from scratches and damage. Just remember that when building any bike the rotor is always on the non-drive side when the stem is pointed forward.

Hope you like your bike!

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm so sorry to hear about the scratches! If you would like we would happily take the bike back and send you a replacement.
    That will not be necessary. The ding on the frame is maybe 2mm in diameter and not very noticeable after I buffed it out. The ding on the shifter was even smaller and I fixed that with a paint pen. I'm sure the bike will have more wear and tear shortly, especially after I wreck a time or two, lol.

Honestly, I'm very impressed with this bike, even before I get it on the trails. I'd assumed that, at this price point, a bike with full Sram X7 and a RockShox Reba RL had to skimp other places. I was expecting a heavier seatpost and saddle and was pleasant surprised when I pulled that out of the box. The wheels are also lighter than I expected. I'd say that the quality of the components seems to be pretty balanced across the board. I'd intended to upgrade the wheelset, seatpost, and handlebars right off the bat but I've decided to hold off on that now because the quality of the existing components are higher than I expected.

I still have a bunch of my "bike fund" left over and now I don't know what to do with it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    You can't correlate crashing on one bike and not breaking anything with a different crash on another bike that breaks something. There are so many dynamic factors involved that it is impossible.

That being said, generally WalMart level bikes are made with cheaper components that for the most part aren't as durable as higher end bikes: mild steel bars/stem/posts, single-walled rims, freewheels vs cassettes, etc. However, the brake rotors on Wal-Mart level bikes are super cheap and tend to be a lot thicker (and a LOT heavier). They *may* take a direct hit a little better but also are nearly impossible to true back up if they are bent, and are more prone to rust due to the grade of steel used. That doesn't mean that your Wal-Mart rotor would not have been bent in the same crash.

No matter what bike you are riding, its a good habit to learn how to ride "smooth and light". Your components will thank you in the long run and so will your body. Plus you get the added benefit of generally being faster on the trail if you learn how to pick smoother lines and flow versus riding like a tank.

If the rotor isn't bent to bad it should be able to be easily straightened. If it is toast, local shops tend to have 6-bolt 160mm rotors in spades since they are the most common size and often people upgrade to 180mm fronts and have the take-offs.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy
    Jeremy,

Thanks for the reply. My MTB terminology is all jacked up. The brake rotors are fine, it's the rim/wheel that's bent. It's not quite a figure eight but bent to say the least. Is there a way to measure how much it's bent to determine whether it can be trued again or not? I might have to tackle this project on my own as am away from home not and the closest LBS is 2 hrs away.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't recommend you tackle wheel repair on your own. Wheel truing and spoke-tensioning are somewhat of an art. If you want, take a photo of how bad the wheel is (maybe a few photos) and send them to us via email and maybe we can at least tell you if it is toast or repairable. If any nipples or spokes are pulled thru the rim or the eyelets are buldged or ripped out, its not repairable.

Thanks!

Jeremy

mtbr member
    That will not be necessary. The ding on the frame is maybe 2mm in diameter and not very noticeable after I buffed it out. The ding on the shifter was even smaller and I fixed that with a paint pen. I'm sure the bike will have more wear and tear shortly, especially after I wreck a time or two, lol.

Honestly, I'm very impressed with this bike, even before I get it on the trails. I'd assumed that, at this price point, a bike with full Sram X7 and a RockShox Reba RL had to skimp other places. I was expecting a heavier seatpost and saddle and was pleasant surprised when I pulled that out of the box. The wheels are also lighter than I expected. I'd say that the quality of the components seems to be pretty balanced across the board. I'd intended to upgrade the wheelset, seatpost, and handlebars right off the bat but I've decided to hold off on that now because the quality of the existing components are higher than I expected.

I still have a bunch of my "bike fund" left over and now I don't know what to do with it!
    OK, thanks! Glad to hear it. I know what its like to not being the one who puts the first scratch on a new bike or car so I wanted to make certain you are OK with it.

Glad you like your bike! It's not easy building a bike to a certain budget and putting everything on there that everyone likes but we try hard.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've been viewing mtrb on and off most of the summer but just created an account to communicate with Big Daddy Flyer and get more info on the Goblin from him and everyone that has one. I wish I would have known about the Goblin when they had their clearance sale. I discovered the Goblin for the first time a little over a month ago and by that time the clearance bikes in my size (S) were all sold out. Too bad, at $1050 with free shipping those were an amazing buy. Any chance there might be a spring kick off sale? The riding season is pretty much done here so I'm patiently going to wait to find the best deal I can over winter.

So a couple of questions.

Are there any published weights on the Goblin frame? From reading reviews on the Goblin is sounds like the bike I am looking for, but its about 2 lbs heavier than I was wanting. I am curious if that weight is in the frame or elsewhere. I am a little over 40 yrs old and I like to buy quality and keep what I buy for a long time. And when its good I tell others about it. So I want to make sure that I start with the right frame. Can you tell me anymore about the Goblin frame. What does it weigh. Did Airborne design the specs, how much testing went into it? I ask these things because at $1200 your really not that far apart in price from a Specialized Carve. Especially when you figure a good LBS will negotiate on price and you might be able to get a Carve for only $200-$300 more with no assembly required. And its a lighter bike. So I want to make sure the backbone of the Goblin is good. My other concern is I see bikes from places like bikesdirect that have even higher end components on a cheaper bike. But from what I gather they are just using generic mass produced frames from China that may or may not have had any actual engineering and tuning done to the frames. Although most seem to be built by Kineses, which I understand to be a reputable builder.

So my first question for Big Daddy Flyer is if he can give a little more info on the frame. Specifically the weight and the engineering history of it. Is it any better than something from bikesdirect? Or is a frame a frame?

Secondly, back to weight again. Is there any chance that Airborne might consider building another bike somewhere between the Goblin X7 and the Goblin XO? Basically I am happy with the X7 stuff and all the specs on the Goblin, but just want something closer to 26lbs in weight. I have read a few comments that a big part of the weight is from the wheels. So I was wondering if Airborne might build something like the current Goblin but with a lighter wheel set or other items of reduced weight.

Thirdly, and I don't expect you can answer this, is there any ball park price estimates on the Goblin XO. I expect this bike will be in the weight range I am looking for, but the $1200 mark on the current Goblin is really pushing the limit for me. I really couldn't go much higher. That is why I was wondering if there were any plans for a lightened version of the current Goblin.

Oh one last thing. Back to frames. How different is the new Goblin frame from the old one. All the reviews I have read are from the old Goblin. I'm wondering if the new frame is any lighter (there's that weight question again) or if any other handling or ride improvements have been made.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargo1 View Post
    I am a little over 40 yrs old and I like to buy quality and keep what I buy for a long time. And when its good I tell others about it. So I want to make sure that I start with the right frame. Can you tell me anymore about the Goblin frame. What does it weigh. Did Airborne design the specs, how much testing went into it? I ask these things because at $1200 your really not that far apart in price from a Specialized Carve. Especially when you figure a good LBS will negotiate on price and you might be able to get a Carve for only $200-$300 more with no assembly required. And its a lighter bike. So I want to make sure the backbone of the Goblin is good.
    I'm a lot like you describe yourself in your first sentence there. I just got the New Goblin to replace my 18 year old Stumpjumper. I looked really hard at the 2012 Stumpjumper Comp 29 which compares a lot more closely (as far as the components) to the New Goblin than the Carve does but obviously went with the Goblin instead. The full SRAM X7, Reba RL and Elixir 7 were what sold it for me - those are one or two steps up from the components on the Carve Comp 29.

I'm still considering going with a Chinese carbon frame, a new wheelset and some other upgrades to get the weight down to the low 20's but I'm going to ride it like it is for a while first.

I haven't weighed my Goblin but since it's an extra large it'd be a worst case scenario anyway. I can tell you it doesn't feel noticeably heavier than the Stumpjumper I checked out at the LBS but of course that's all just me picking them up so it's nearly useless as a metric, of course.

I do know the frame is a little different than the original Goblin, too. It's got a tapered headset for one thing and I read it's got more mud clearance around the rear wheel. I don't believe the changed the geometry, tho.

Good luck with your decision.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The full SRAM X7, Reba RL and Elixir 7 were what sold it for me - those are one or two steps up from the components on the Carve Comp 29.
    Yeah, I tend to like the Carve Expert better. The components also match up a little better to the Goblin. But for me the biggest thing I see is the weight. Since the Carve Comp is still a pound or so lighter out of the box, it seems like a fair comparison to the Goblin. I've seen Carve Comps listed online at some CA store for as low as $1450. I've also seen them at a bike shop only a few hours from me for around $1500. So I'd guess my local dealer could get pretty close to those prices as well if not beat them. If you figure I may need the LBS to some some fine tuning for me the price difference could get to be within $150. So the Carve and the Goblin are both tempting for me. But I like being different than everyone else, so the Goblin is very tempting. Besides, I'm sure those better components offer some advantages as well. I just need to decide how big a factor the weight is. Hopefully Big Daddy will chime in with some info too.

mtbr member
    The black Goblin is around 27ish pounds on average. We have an 18 in the office that is 26.8 lbs but weight may vary based on paint amounts, component weight variance, etc. I challenge anyone to find a bike at or near its pricepoint that is significantly lighter. Often people talk about the bike as being heavy without taking the time to look around and do comparisons.......and also because there isn't much else to nitpick about the bike so I guess that's a good thing.

There are no plans to put the Goblin on sale. It's alreay a steal at the price it is.

I don't know of any local bike-shops that are flush with 29ers and are willing to deal, so if you can get such a good deal on the Carve I suggest you go for it; its certainly not the norm.

We don't have any plans to make an additional Goblin SKU that would sit between the regular Goblin and XO. We are small and have to keep the # of SKU's somewhat low to keep costs down. I can't give you anymore info on the XO other than what I have already said. More info on that to come in the coming weeks. I will say if $1200 is pushing your budget don't wait for the XO; it will significantly more due to the better components and Black Flag Pro wheelset.

We designed the Goblin frame in-house here in Ohio and spent a lot of time riding and refining it. The main tubes are butted, The current Goblin differs from the past Goblin with its tapered HT, increased mud clearance, and slightly tweaked geometry for the 20mm increase in fork travel.

If you have any additional questions please feel free to call us, thanks.
    Last edited by BigDaddyFlyer; 10-20-2012 at 04:01 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1