Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2012

Airborne Goblin 29er vs.Sette Razzo 29er 2012

1st off, I have spent HOURS trying to find information about both of these bikes and have found some info. on the Goblin (a couple of articles and some positive mentions within threads) but virtually none on the Razzo (what is out there has generally been positive, but old). A LOT of information I have found is over a year old, thus not appropriate to the newer models.... SO, if you're gonna get all snarky and make comments along the lines of "do a search and find what is already out there..." then this probably isn't the thread for you so please move on to something else because I HAVE LOOKED!!!!! I have made a spread sheet with the goblin ($1150 + ship), razzo XT ($1300 + ship), and razzo x7 ($1200 + ship) but can't paste it here without getting all messed up so I will just get to my questions. But 1st, a little about me: I'm 5'10" and 240 so obviously not an all-star that will be flying downhill at breakneck speeds, at least not voluntarily. I would honestly rate my mtn biking level as a 5/10 as I know what I am doing but not Mr. 75 mile a day rider as well (obviously). The bike will spend most of it's time on trails and singletrack with some rougher stuff mixed in as well....

1. Any thoughts on either brand would be appreciated, from what I have read they are positive for the goblin, and also positive, yet few and far between for the razzo

2. thoughts on shocks? all have rockshox; goblin reba, xt recon gold, x7 recon silver. seems to me they are all pretty close, yet obviously different. i iwll say i like that the gold and silver are solo air, don't know about the reba

3. thoughts on 2x10 (goblin)? i am interested in this as I hate shifting so much for so little change and this seems to be right up my alley

4. thoughts on wheels: razzos have inferno 23 rims, goblin has WTB trail 29. I know nothing of these above the fact they are pretty base level (heavy) and seem to be high on everyone's list to replace (goblin anyways)

5. xt components on razzo xt: I was told that the higher you get in components you start to trade durability for lighter weight. are the xt's in that zone? I am perfectly willing to have a little more weight for a more durable component

6. depending on the answer to #5, I am leaning towards the xt over the x7 on the razzo as $100 seems to upgrade a lot, but what do I know???? (which is why I'm here asking questions!!!!

7. I like the wider handlebars on the razzos (710mm if memory serves) whereas the goblin is only about 680mm (again, if memory serves) so if i go goblin i will sooner rather than later be upgrading/widening the handlebars, recommendations for inexpensive, yet good, handlebars that are 710 to 720mm?

8. i read somewhere in here, from a guy that works at Airborne, that the goblins are about to be updated, will cost more, and will be coming out sometime in the near future. Although I HATE the green on the thing I cannot deny the components that come on it so I am willing to suffer through the color for the price of $1150 so as to avoid the price hike

9. i know this has been beaten to death on other threads so i hate to even mention it, but it won't go away..... My lbs is selling the specialized carve expert for $1500 and offers lifetime FULL tune-ups (the works, not just the basic stuff)... hte carve doesn't have the components as these bikes but still....... thoughts on the value of that over getting one of these online bikes and having to pay for tune-ups as i go?

Any thoughts productive to these questions or any other pertinent information will be GREATLY appreciated!!! I have literally spent 2-3 hours a day for the past three weeks to get to this point... I would eventually like to get a bike and go ride it...

ps, anyone wanna buy a 1998 GT Tequesta???!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    ?? huh?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I think question #9 needs to be addressed before any others. What is the extent of your mechanical abilities? Are you capable and/or willing to learn how to maintain a bike yourself? How much does the lbs charge to maintain a bike? If you will not do the maintenance yourself, then it might be wiser to go the lbs route. Getting the free tune-ups will allow you to spend the money on parts (something you will be doing no matter which bike you choose).

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Both bikes are mail order.

keeptrollintrollintrollin
    BigDaddyFlyer will chime in eventually but I will go ahead and say that there is a new Goblin in the works and will be out this late summer/early fallish. Its supposed to have a few changes. Just so you know!

BTW... I love my goblin.... GREAT bike!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    i don't know what dontez is up to there but there are plenty of places for him to get help, 1st he has to admit there is a problem....

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by aikane View Post
    I think question #9 needs to be addressed before any others. What is the extent of your mechanical abilities? Are you capable and/or willing to learn how to maintain a bike yourself? How much does the lbs charge to maintain a bike? If you will not do the maintenance yourself, then it might be wiser to go the lbs route. Getting the free tune-ups will allow you to spend the money on parts (something you will be doing no matter which bike you choose).
    thanks for the input! mechanical abilities are basic but am willing to learn, just need the right yoda to complement my young skywalker..... there is a mechanic here that isn't bike shop affiliated that does things either mobile or at his place, his prices are pretty reasonable (considering he doesn't have the overhead of the lbs), i believe $30 covers 6 months worth of tune-ups (he said I could get one and then if anything needs adjusting within 6 months he will do it no charge)

mtbr member
    May 2012
    [QUOTE=codyh12345;9305096]BigDaddyFlyer will chime in eventually but I will go ahead and say that there is a new Goblin in the works and will be out this late summer/early fallish. Its supposed to have a few changes. Just so you know!

BTW... I love my goblin.... GREAT bike!

that would be item #8 within my manifesto up there..... but thanks for the update on your goblin, how long have you had it? made any changes for the better or worse?

mtbr member
    I'd really like to see a gunmetal blue Airborne... *HINT* *HINT*

I've had the goblin now for two months or so. Ride it once or twice a week (well I try at least). I've changed the saddle to a WTB Laser V Pro (the stock saddle is ok but a little too stiff for me). I threw on a set of Wellgo B103 platforms. I plan on changing the handlebars, stem, and seatpost but thats all in the future. I've picked up a stans tubeless kit and will be getting some new tires also... the SB8's that come on it are ok but if the trails have any moisture on them at all they fill up fast and become skates.

The nice thing about the bike is the components are all good to go... no upgrading necessary. I do recommend you get some basic shop tools if you dont have them. Adjusting the bike is easy and it really comes in the box mostly assembled.

Good luck if you buy one... oh and the green is pretty nice really..... here is a better pic of the green...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by scatl M artin View Post
    I'd really like to see a gunmetal blue Airborne... *HINT* *HINT*
    ha!! that's good, my gut feeling is you might actually have some knowledge about that... i would love to go with a blue of any sort over the green.. but the price hike that was also implied is a little prohibitive.....

mtbr member
    Actually, I don't know. Your gut feeling might be some gas.

Hehe. I'd also like to see a blue Airborne -- that's what I was hinting to the good people of Airborne.

I'm also in the market for a bike around your price range but due to school I haven't had time to do much research... however, everyone points towards the Airborne as the best bang for the buck. I am intrigued to see what they have in store for their 2012 line, even if it's a bit more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    1. Don't have any experience with Sette, but have not heard bad things either. Do own a Airborne Skyhawk 26er. Bike was packed very well, assembly seemed to be on par. Having ridden the bike for three weeks now, I have to adjust the frt derailleur slightly. As opposed to my wifes lbs giant sedona which has stretched out cables after ony 3-4 rides. I need to keep the gripshifter in between detents to keep the rear derailleur in line.
    2. RS Reba is mid to high end xc fork. Recon is one level above entry level all around fork. Value and weight savings to the Reba.
    3. 2X10 is the way to go, especially if you don't like to shift much. I will eventually convert the Skyhawk to 2x9 when the original parts wear down.
    5. Can't go wrong with XT stuff.
    6. Sram vs Shimano debate, not touching that one.
    7. Bars are too easy to replace, I wouldn't base a bike decision on that.

The bad thing about buying online is not being able to ride the bikes. It's a leap of faith. I got lucky with mine, fits well, rides comfortably.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    than you for your contributions, this is the kind of information i am looking for... anyone else wanna chime in feel free as this is the court of public opinion!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by aikane View Post
    1. Don't have any experience with Sette, but have not heard bad things either. Do own a Airborne Skyhawk 26er. Bike was packed very well, assembly seemed to be on par. Having ridden the bike for three weeks now, I have to adjust the frt derailleur slightly. As opposed to my wifes lbs giant sedona which has stretched out cables after ony 3-4 rides. I need to keep the gripshifter in between detents to keep the rear derailleur in line.
    2. RS Reba is mid to high end xc fork. Recon is one level above entry level all around fork. Value and weight savings to the Reba.
    3. 2X10 is the way to go, especially if you don't like to shift much. I will eventually convert the Skyhawk to 2x9 when the original parts wear down.
    5. Can't go wrong with XT stuff.
    6. Sram vs Shimano debate, not touching that one.
    7. Bars are too easy to replace, I wouldn't base a bike decision on that.

The bad thing about buying online is not being able to ride the bikes. It's a leap of faith. I got lucky with mine, fits well, rides comfortably.
    Last edited by la10slgr; 05-12-2012 at 08:28 PM.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by la10slgr View Post
    1st off, I have spent HOURS trying to find information about both of these bikes and have found some info. on the Goblin (a couple of articles and some positive mentions within threads) but virtually none on the Razzo (what is out there has generally been positive, but old). A LOT of information I have found is over a year old, thus not appropriate to the newer models.... SO, if you're gonna get all snarky and make comments along the lines of "do a search and find what is already out there..." then this probably isn't the thread for you so please move on to something else because I HAVE LOOKED!!!!! I have made a spread sheet with the goblin ($1150 + ship), razzo XT ($1300 + ship), and razzo x7 ($1200 + ship) but can't paste it here without getting all messed up so I will just get to my questions. But 1st, a little about me: I'm 5'10" and 240 so obviously not an all-star that will be flying downhill at breakneck speeds, at least not voluntarily. I would honestly rate my mtn biking level as a 5/10 as I know what I am doing but not Mr. 75 mile a day rider as well (obviously). The bike will spend most of it's time on trails and singletrack with some rougher stuff mixed in as well....

1. Any thoughts on either brand would be appreciated, from what I have read they are positive for the goblin, and also positive, yet few and far between for the razzo

2. thoughts on shocks? all have rockshox; goblin reba, xt recon gold, x7 recon silver. seems to me they are all pretty close, yet obviously different. i iwll say i like that the gold and silver are solo air, don't know about the reba

3. thoughts on 2x10 (goblin)? i am interested in this as I hate shifting so much for so little change and this seems to be right up my alley

4. thoughts on wheels: razzos have inferno 23 rims, goblin has WTB trail 29. I know nothing of these above the fact they are pretty base level (heavy) and seem to be high on everyone's list to replace (goblin anyways)

5. xt components on razzo xt: I was told that the higher you get in components you start to trade durability for lighter weight. are the xt's in that zone? I am perfectly willing to have a little more weight for a more durable component

6. depending on the answer to #5, I am leaning towards the xt over the x7 on the razzo as $100 seems to upgrade a lot, but what do I know???? (which is why I'm here asking questions!!!!

7. I like the wider handlebars on the razzos (710mm if memory serves) whereas the goblin is only about 680mm (again, if memory serves) so if i go goblin i will sooner rather than later be upgrading/widening the handlebars, recommendations for inexpensive, yet good, handlebars that are 710 to 720mm?

8. i read somewhere in here, from a guy that works at Airborne, that the goblins are about to be updated, will cost more, and will be coming out sometime in the near future. Although I HATE the green on the thing I cannot deny the components that come on it so I am willing to suffer through the color for the price of $1150 so as to avoid the price hike

9. i know this has been beaten to death on other threads so i hate to even mention it, but it won't go away..... My lbs is selling the specialized carve expert for $1500 and offers lifetime FULL tune-ups (the works, not just the basic stuff)... hte carve doesn't have the components as these bikes but still....... thoughts on the value of that over getting one of these online bikes and having to pay for tune-ups as i go?

Any thoughts productive to these questions or any other pertinent information will be GREATLY appreciated!!! I have literally spent 2-3 hours a day for the past three weeks to get to this point... I would eventually like to get a bike and go ride it...

ps, anyone wanna buy a 1998 GT Tequesta???!!!!!!
    Hey, I got your PM over the weekend but somehow erased it before I could reply, DOH!

I'm not going to give my two cents on each one of your points above because I don't like making open comparisons to other bike companies products (ie, "ours is better because" statements) ; it would be in poor taste IMHO.

I will say that the Reba is an excellent fork. The current reba is dual-air (at least for now...............) and is a definite upgrade over the Recon. Although I've spent a lot of time on Recon's and they are a nice fork.

We use the complete X7 groupset, meaning that we don't skimp out on the crank or some other pieces. The 2x10 gearing has made me a complete convert. I don't ever see myself going back to a 3x9 or 3x10 set-up ever again.

I've stated recently that the Goblin model will be changing late summer or early fall. We've sold out of the current model in 16" so all we have are 18's, 20's, and 22's. 18" stock is dwindling fast and the rest aren't far behind. We will probably be out of all sizes by end of July at the latest. If you like the price of the current Goblin: Buy it. Don't wait. Costing in the bike industry has been increasing a lot lately so even if we remade the next batch of Goblins exactly as they are now, they would cost more.

Wheels: The Goblin is an $1150 bike. We had to make some concessions somewhere in order to put all of the other great stuff on the bike. There's nothing inherently wrong with the WTB's as they are REALLY strong and will last a long time; they just aren't the lightest wheelset out there. Honestly they aren't any heavier than any wheels found on bikes that cost $300-$400 more.

Anyway, I hope that helps. Good luck on your decision!
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Hey, I got your PM over the weekend but somehow erased it before I could reply, DOH!

I'm not going to give my two cents on each one of your points above because I don't like making open comparisons to other bike companies products (ie, "ours is better because" statements) ; it would be in poor taste IMHO.

I will say that the Reba is an excellent fork. The current reba is dual-air (at least for now...............) and is a definite upgrade over the Recon. Although I've spent a lot of time on Recon's and they are a nice fork.

We use the complete X7 groupset, meaning that we don't skimp out on the crank or some other pieces. The 2x10 gearing has made me a complete convert. I don't ever see myself going back to a 3x9 or 3x10 set-up ever again.

I've stated recently that the Goblin model will be changing late summer or early fall. We've sold out of the current model in 16" so all we have are 18's, 20's, and 22's. 18" stock is dwindling fast and the rest aren't far behind. We will probably be out of all sizes by end of July at the latest. If you like the price of the current Goblin: Buy it. Don't wait. Costing in the bike industry has been increasing a lot lately so even if we remade the next batch of Goblins exactly as they are now, they would cost more.

Wheels: The Goblin is an $1150 bike. We had to make some concessions somewhere in order to put all of the other great stuff on the bike. There's nothing inherently wrong with the WTB's as they are REALLY strong and will last a long time; they just aren't the lightest wheelset out there. Honestly they aren't any heavier than any wheels found on bikes that cost $300-$400 more.

Anyway, I hope that helps. Good luck on your decision!
    thanks for responding. after i pm'd you, i then found you were the airborne guy so i really respect how you spoke about your own product and didn't trash the other(s) thanks for the info!

Abby Normal
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    The X.7 group is definitely good value for the $$ - that's what I've got on my EMD9 and it works a treat. My only nit pick is that if you want to run lower gearing with those cranks I think the only option is to buy the Sram X.9 chainring set (which comes with a 64/104 spider to accommodate smaller rings - Universal Cycles -- Sram XO & X.9 Chainring Sets with Guard (GXP)).

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I can only comment on the Goblin, as I have had this bike for three weeks now. Made a few quick upgrades with the EC70 seat post WTB PureV seat, EC70 low rise bars, Lizard Skin clap on grips, EA70 Stem, some Easton EA70 XC wheelset, and a pair of Captain Control Tubeless tires and today just had the 80mm Reba forks converted to 100mm.

I have been able to get out at least three days a week and each time that ride has been better than the last. I'm 6'0, 205lbs and purchased the 20" Goblin. I mostly ride the local single tracks here in Northern Colorado and I consider myself a recreational rider.

This is my first 29er so i'm still getting used to it on each ride. I like the 2x10 set up better than the 3x9 I had on my older FS bike, much simplier. I had it tuned at my LBS after I put it together, and after a few rides had it quickly tuned again. The green color is pretty sick, very different and everytime I'm out riding I get very positive feedback, I love it! I am very happy with my purchase and also did quite a bit of research on the Goblin and other 29er bikes. I really felt the Goblin provided the biggest bang for your buck for an affordable 29er with great compenents and brakes. Good luck with your purchase.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    thanks for the input CU (double entandre noted). it seems you basically replaced 1/2 the bike but that isn't necessarily such a bad thing... it looks as if i will be ordering it today or tomorrow and also getting some wider handlebars as the 710 that are on the specialized carve felt really good, other than that i will be using what came with it for awhile.....

Nothin wrong with stockish! Good luck and let us know if you have any questions on install or set up

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    It was just fine stock, however I had some extra funds and Craigslist is a great thing. I purchased the seatpost, seat, stem and bars off CL. I purchased the wheelset from Performace Bike online (which Performace Bike were blowing out the EA70 XC wheelsets for $300.00 out the door with 15% off) so I received killer deals on everything that I upgraded. It was either brand new (off CL) or gently used! Oh, yeah the grips, tires and the conversion from 80mm to 100mm was done at my LBS.

The stock handle bars are 640mm, The EC70's are 685mm, I was debating between those and a pair of Easton Haven's which were 711mm. Likewise if you have any additional questions let me know. I try to get a photo up this afternoon. Enjoy!

Last edited by CUatTheEnd; 05-16-2012 at 11:21 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    thanks guys, will definitely keep updated, thinking about getting a little saucy and getting some "pimpin" white pedals as i haven't seen that anywhere as of yet, gonna stick with platforms for awhile until i get an urge to go for the clips (although that urge has never struck me, but who knows....)

ps, with that attempted use of the word "pimpin" i believe this may be the 1st time i have ever used the word ..........

mtbr member
    May 2012
    the deed is done!!!!! exhausting as it has been the past few weeks, the deed is done........... due to scheudlingi won't be able to ride it until next weekend, at the earliest, but will obviously update as warranted..

i found some wellgo mg-1 pedals to go with it but chickened out on the white and stuck with black. So much for pimpin.....

mtbr member
    May 2012
    just scored a sweet deal on some easton handlebars, 2011 model, 711mm!!! I am DONE shopping for this!!!! can't wait for next weekend!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Sorry, for the change in subject but NOOO!!! i am so bummed. I have had my heart set on this bike and i was planning on using the summer to make anohter $800 to by the Goblin. I'm a short dude and now I hear that all of the 16" are gone! So sad. BigDaddyFlyer, if you could please get a hold of me, I have a few Questions. I also Emailed Airborne. I'll try and PM you. Thanks.
    Klein attitude comp

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast