mtbr member

Airborne Customer Service

First off let me just say that this post by no means is disrespect to airborne bike and its customer service but is in response to some comments that I have aquired around the camp fire about this bike company. First off I would like to say that I am very impressed with the products that you have put together especially the latest Hob Goblin XO as I am a very possible customer. With that said let me just share with you what a lbs mechanic had to say about airborne bikes. I heard a guy say that airbornes customer service was awful and that the bike he received from a customer came with the wrong parts and when informing airborne that the parts were wrong and tried to get new ones or the correct ones that customer service was a nightmare!!!Claims that the customer brought in an un opened box and asked them to assemble the bike. When they opened the box said that there were many parts broken or didnt fit. So when they called airborne to get help airborne didnt want to send parts for free. Now from what I inderstand these bikes come pretty much pre assembled with exception of the handle bars and front tire! Tell me if im wrong!

Now to me it sounds like Airborne has pissed some people off for wanting to help hard working americans who would like to have a bike that actually had some quality compenents on it and for that I commend you. So far everyone ive spoken to from airborne and to a few customers, customer service has not been a problem. No I understand that some shops may not fix my bike because I didnt buy from there but guess what they cant stop me from taking a park tool class that will let me fix my own bike. I write this thread just to get feed back from customers on this site to please comment so I can take them to this person and ask him what the hell they were talking about since every review ive read on this new company has been positive! Hope everyone had a great ride this wekend. Thank you to airborne bikes for the care I have received so far and havent even purchased a bike yet. Please comments are welcomed very much. Mitch

mtbr member
    What bike shop won't work on a bike regardless of brand??? Sounds like they are raping the regular customers to keep up profits or they won't be around long.

I have not had any issues w/ my bike that I would not have had with a LBS bike..

Your local shop will work on your bike.. and the tune up stuff they offer (At MOST) will not be great enough to outweigh the savings you are getting on an Airborne.

And there customer service has treated me very well. I have nothing but good things to say about them

TXTony
    My experience as been nothing but positive when dealing with Airborne from questions prior to purchase including emails and phone conversations and afterwards as well...my bike came packaged well and took about 20 minutes of assembly time to get it into service..it took me longer to unpack the thing than the actual assembly..I had mine with me at a LBS when I switched out wheels and the mechanic inspected everything on the bike and commented I got a great deal when I advised him of the purchase price..

Prior to to purchasing my Goblin I went to several shops looking for a bike similar in specs and price...good luck with that...I had one person tell me that he did not know much about the new Airborne but the old Airborne had some really good bikes...another shop told me that I would not like the bike and was better off getting one of the big name brand bikes he had in his shop that had a Reba Fork, X7 rear der...a X5 front and X5 shifters...1700 not including taxes and I believe the same grade aluminum as the Goblin..owning several other mountain bikes from Specialized, Trek and Cannondale my Goblin has been a great bike and has served me well...The Goblin was my first 29er and I did not want to drop a ton of money on a bike to see if I would like the 29er(long time hold out on the 29er thing).

I have had no issues with the bike or the X7 stuff...I usually use X9 and have one X0 bike and the X7 stuff works well enough that I will wait until I break something or it wears out...from reading you story sounds like maybe some details are being left out there...maybe some people have got a little bent that we as consumers are looking for alternatives to the ever increasing bike prices from the big companies and maybe it is just me but it seems these increasing prices are coming with bikes being speced down from previous years...and if Airborne is giving me a quality bike at a decent price I have to wonder what I am paying for for a similar equipped bike costing hundreds more...just me and my own observation..If something breaks I will fix it myself...I learned a long time ago to fix stuff on my bikes because if you own multiple rides the cost can add up...I will continue to watch what Airborne offers and in my next bike purchase if they have a product and price that fits my needs and budget I will not hesitate buying from them again.
    Last edited by TXTony; 03-03-2013 at 08:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Keep em coming! Thanks thats what I got from the comment. The other bike I actually considered was a ginat tance x 29er 1 but if im gonna pay $3000 im buying a Hob Goblin XO! Please keep the comments coming I want a lot of comments to take this guy. What he doesnt know is airborne has a 30 day money back promise. If you havent figured out you dont like a bike within 30 days you probably havent been on it! Peace

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I've personally already talked to you so I may say some of the same stuff. But even my lower on the bar bike, Skyhawk is still amazing I paid 350 for a bike that is as good as something that is 700+ from a bike store. I've contacted customer service multiple times and they have not hesitated to help. I would personally say these bike best fit those who want a good deal on a good bike and also those very mechanically inclined people who like to do the work themselves. And by the way had a good ride, put 12 miles on my skyhawk.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Why and what do you need to prove to this guy? Unless you have first hand knowledge, i.e you have seen the said bike and can validate his charges. Sounds like BS to me. I wouldn't even entertain wasting my time talking to him.

My Airborne purchase was made after countless hours over months of time. (from May -August) bought the black goblin on the last day of pre-order.
    There were enough satisfied customers and enough reviews from establish members in this community to give me piece of mind with my purchase.
    I understand that there are those who will forgo the savings and quality that Airborne bikes delivers. Just to walk into a store and be able to see and touch and talk about their purchase. And that's ok, if it gives them piece of mind.

Tell this guy to do his own research and provide evidence of his claims, until then ignore him.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    In my limited experience what the OP's Friend's mechanic heard, is the opposite of Airborne CS. A quick search of this board will give you several examples of Airborne reaching directly out to customers with questions and/or complaints.
    As a new mtn biker I was concerned with not purchasing from a LBS, but the interactions with the manufacturer on this board as well as the support from other Airborne riders made me comfortable enough to pull the trigger on a Guardian. Glad I did.
    I can think of some reasons a LBS might bad mouth a manufacturer they do not carry. I saw it several times when looking at bikes at the my local shops. It's not limited to Airborne. But I would take what a competitor says about the competition with a grain of salt (and maybe seek out a better LBS that will fix your bike no matter where you bought it).
    p

mtbr member
    I hear ya peeps! Everything that ive heard, seen on this website and have read only leaves me to believe that airborne is doing what they promised. I have found a shop that said they will work on anything I bring in! Thanks for the reassurance.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Must have been a Trek dealer Any shop should repair any brand of bike( its the repair of all the wally-world bikes that keeps the lights on) Airborne service is top notch!! If for some reason you cant reach them on the phone( weekend/after hours) you can usually get an answer here, or hit up Airborne on FB and get a reply. I'm sorry to say, but it seems like a lot of ''BIG'' brands are butt-hurt because Airborne sells top quality for so little. Hell, you can buy a full XO Goblin/HobGoblin for less than some of the Big 3's frames. So tell this mechanic guy to get bent!

mtbr member
    It was a TREK shop! LOL. The mechanic that said he would work on the bike when I got it also works for a trek shop but he says he rides q giant and told me to do what I feel most comfortable with and especially in the wallet. He said from what he can see the quality is good and to go for it! So in a couple of weeks im gonna get a Hob Goblin XO!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    My experience with Airborne's customer service has been nothing but positive. I have a Guardian and my wife has a Skyhawk.
    As far as local bike shops go, I have a good relationship with a local shop, and they don't have a problem with my choice to buy Airborne or anything else. They have seen my Airbornes and were openly impressed by the value and quality. They also know that I generally do my own work, unless it is over my head, or requires expensive, specialty tools. I generally always give them first shot at any components or tools I intend to buy. They can usually beat, or at least match, internet pricing on Park Tools, and on upgrade parts. If they can match or are even reasonably close to internet pricing I buy from them. If they can't get close, they completely understand me buying somewhere else. They may not have sold me my $600 bike, but they sold me a $450 fork, and probably a few hundred worth of tools, and they are OK with that.
    They are more than happy to get SOME of my bike money. The other shops that had a problem with my Airborne are getting none of it.

My advice is to check out as many local bike shops as you can, be upfront and explain where you are coming from, and find the one, or ones that are willing to do business with you on your terms.
    Also learn to work on your own bike. I don't understand how people can be so dependent their LBS to fix every little thing. I'm constantly tweaking something on my bikes.

No Stranger to danger....
    Pay peanuts, get monkeys......
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Airborne Product Dude
    I'd like to think that we have good customer service. We treat folks the way we would like to be treated. We know we can't please everyone but try our hardest to do the best we can.

I don't have first-hand knowledge regarding whatever that problem was the shop had with a damaged Airborne in a box. Our bikes come 85% assembled for the most part, and if someone gets a damaged part in the box, we take care of it. Now, if someone has had a bike for a little while, been riding it, and something goes wrong, we work with them if it is a part that should be warranteed by the manufacturer of that part. And generally that involves the customer going into a local shop that handles warranty work and they coordinate with the manufacturer to get it taken care of. We coordinate with the shop and manufacturer if they need info from us. Shops make $$ on doing warranty work, don't let any of them make you feel they are doing it for free or losing money. For example, lets say you have a problem with a RockShox fork. The shop gets paid by SRAM to handle the claim and install the new fork, and gets an RA# to send the bad fork back.

Shops don't make very much actual $$$ on a bike sale. The smart shops know that by the time you calculate the freight to get the bike in there, the $$ spent on labor to assemble it, the interest charge on financing it, the time spent with the customer, and the cost of keeping it on the floor; they are lucky to make 10-20%. Tune-ups, accessories, and upgrades are where the profit is. Any shop that turns away another brand of bike because they didn't sell it is not getting the full picture and doing themselves harm, IMHO.

I know of a few shops that don't actually sell a bike brand; they make a good living on parts, clothing, accessories, tune-ups, upgrades, and consignment sales.

Whatever bike you choose, it's in your best-interest to get a good set of basic bike tools and learn to wrench on your own bike. Knowing how to work on your own bike pays off in dividends if you are ever at the trailhead before a ride and the last-minute repair you can make enables you to ride versus going home and ruining your plans.

Good luck!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Jeremy, thanks for that comment. I actually talked to the person this morning and told them that their claims sounded false as the bikes are almost fully assembled and that the claims didnt make any sense. I do plan on taking a park tool class through a LBS here in Orlando to have that knowledge. I appreciate your response. Im guessing that person was dissappointed that I wasnt buying from that shop. I told him to show me a FS 29er with full XO set up for $3000 and I would buy it and they just smiled and said good luck! So in a couple weeks Ill be placing my order for the FS XO Hob Goblin. Not only that the airborne community has been great to talk to in addition to the rest of the cycling community. The reason I started this thread is because I havent heard a negative thing about this company ony old claims from before and not all of those were bad. Thanks to all for the input. IM SOLD on HOBGOBLIN XO!!!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have a reputation on the local trails as ''The Airborne guy". I try to educate people on the brand and let them know how great they are as a company. Many of the bike shops have group rides on these trails and they hate to see me out there trying to sell riders on Airborne. So Mitch1171, just ride...and let the others be jealous!

mtbr member
    In the mean time I do have a 2006 Specialized enduro for sale here in Orlando!!!! LOL

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    That story does sound a little far fetched and inconsistent with how Airborne treats their customers. For example, here is a story a woman wrote about 2 damaged bikes she received from Airborne and how they treated her:

Why do I hate thee? Let me count the ways: A review of UPS (Oh! And I got my Airborne Skyhawk Mountain Bike) | women.cyclists

mtbr member
    Nice!!