mtbr member

Airborne bikes - misc questions

Lots of info on here on the Airborne bikes. I've been reading the archives on new owners etc... I have a couple of questions:

• How long has Airborne been in business?
    • Who did they buy? As I understand it was another company / name before? My concern is, how will I know Airborne will be here tomorrow. What are they doing different?
    • I've read that shipping is $75, but when I went online and did a dummy checkout with one bike in my basket and address entered, freight was zero... The freight of $75, might just put it too close to something I can just walk into an LBS and purchase.
    • Do you typically have to do any adjustments to the deraillurs? I am clueless on that end of things. The rest of the "assembly" I am ok with. Ideally, I would want to put it together, go riding, and then take into an LBS, if needed 30-45 days later to adjust at that point...

The other bikes I am looking at are:
    • Trek 3500 $430 (10% off msrp $480)
    • Hardrock SE $420 (no disc); very likely out of the bunch, as it has no discs.
    • Trek Marlin $621 (10% off msrp $690) - At this price point, I'd probably be looking at the Hardrock Comp sinse it has hydraulics for 2013 and in similar price point.
    • Trek Wahoo $540 (10% off msrp $600.

The two Airbornes I am looking at would be the following, so you have to add pedals (say $40 for something decent) and shipping (again not sure as it's not clear) $75... So even if I put it together myelf, the price doesn't look as attractive when compared to the others. I do see better components on the Guardian, for example, when compared to the Wahoo; not sure when compared to a Marlin or Hardrock Comp. How would it compare?
    • Guardian $600
    • Skyhawk $400 - I hate the neck and bars on this one, so would probably be the first change out of the box.

The last concern I have about buying an unrecognized brand is resale down the line. While we know used bikes go cheap; an Airborne will have to be practically given away, since it's not a name you normally hear about..so it will be easily passed up in Craiglist , for example... Space permitting, I guess it could be kept as a spare.
    Last edited by alexplantman; 07-26-2012 at 09:20 AM.
    Better 2 ask 4 pardon than 2 ask for permission. Recall that nxt time U feel you have 2 ask ur wife if U can buy something

mtbr member
    May 2012
    well i'd take advantage of the free shipping while you can. I just did a dummy checkout too, and it looked free to me.

Airborne Product Dude
    Hey there, I hope you don't mind if I answer a few questions for ya............

Airborne has been around since April of 2010. There used to be another company named Airborne from 1998-2004 that offered Ti and Aluminum bikes, but they went out of business. We are the same company in name-only. Two of us that work here at Airborne used to work for the first Airborne in their sales department and marketing department.

Shipping is indeed $75, but right now we are running a free freight deal until 7/30. We normally don't do any free freight deals except for new-model pre-orders.

Our bike ship 85% assembled and generally don't need much other than a little fine-tuning when you put them together. If you run into a problem call us; we will take care of you.

No business can promise you that they'll be around forever, but we'd like to be. We work hard to ensure the buying experience with us is enjoyable and count on customer word of mouth for most of our business. We've grown a lot in the last 2 years and plan on even more big things for 2013.

If you have any questions, please fee free to give us a ring, thanks!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Guardian has a RockShox XC28 TK 29 which gets good reviews. The Suntour on the Hardrock is alot lower spec. If you run any technical trails the speed difference will be significant.

MTB Fanatic
    You really can't compare the Guardian to the Wahoo or Trek 3500. Try comparing it to the Specialized Rockhopper 29er and you'll see what I mean.

My Guardian was easy to assemble, but hasn't been that easy to get perfectly in-tune. If you don't have a good set of metric allen wrenches, a spoke wrench, grease, pedals, pedal wrench (9/16ths) etc then factor that stuff into your cost. Basic derailleur tuning can easily be learned by watching youtube videos, or you can always call Airborne. They've been great for me.

Lastly, the components on the Guardian are way better than the bikes you mentioned. The Wahoo doesn't even have double-walled rims. I bought my Guardian because I am patient with learning how to tune it, didn't want to use an LBS, wanted better components and fork, and I love the brand and customer service.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the the comments. The bike is for my 12 yr old btw. I'm going to compare components side by side this weekend.
    Better 2 ask 4 pardon than 2 ask for permission. Recall that nxt time U feel you have 2 ask ur wife if U can buy something

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I bought a 26" Skyhawk back in April and have been quite pleased with it. Assembly was fairly simple provided you have the proper tools. Have not had to adjust the derailleurs yet. If I had to do it over again, the only thing I would change is I would have bought a full suspension from the start.