mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Airborne bikes comparable to what?

Hi, I've been looking at the airborne Marauder and Zeppelin elite as replacements for my stolen K2 tirade 6.
    I found the K2 a little on the heavy side and I had a bash guard with chain guide on so I was missing my lowest gears.
    The weight and gears made hill climbing difficult, not impossible, just required a lot of effort.
    Other than that, I loved the bike, the travel was great.
    I'm pretty light 5' 11" 165lbs
    I'm thinking the Zeppelin would be a better choice for me, since it's lighter than the marauder and reviewers mention that it is good for climbing.
    I ride mostly flowy, jumpy single track through lots of tight bush and tight turns.

So here's where you come in:
    1 - what is a similar quality bike to the 2 airborne's I mentioned.
    - reason I as this is I have to ship to canada, so the bike will cost an extra $300, and I want to compare prices to similar bikes to see if it's still worth while.

2 - Have I made the right choice for what and where I ride or should I look at something else.

Thank you for your time.

Titanium junkie
    I haven't rode one, but by hearing others who have, and
    Airborne trying to make a good bike at it's price point and being
    here on the forums,I don't see how you could go wrong.
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

Huckin' trails
    Airborne Marauder is the Iron Horse Yakuza Aniki. They just bought the design from IH and since they owned the welding plant and made the IH, they continued making it, but changed the name.

Now, is the Marauder a good 6" climber bike ? Not in the slightest compared to current AM bikes since it's a FR bike.

Will it huck down like a boss ? Absolutely, since it's a FR bike with beefy frame and downhill geo.

Only downside about the geo is poor HT angle at 69 with 150mm fork.

Will it make a good bike for climbing up and going down ? Not so much unless you love climbing and suffering.

You're pretty light at 165 ? You should see me hucking this beast at 120 !

Airborne bikes comparable to what?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1336167215.807141.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Huckin' trails
    Check out local bike shops and used bikes. You better paid local taxes than $300 oversea shipping and import duty.

And RM Altitude bikes are really nice climbers.
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I would love a RM, but my budget is sub $1k, as that is all insurance would give me for my K2.
    Maybe if I can find an altitude frame I can build for <$1k.
    I checked the LBS, and both could special order a RM altitude 30 for $2400 best price.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooperuss View Post
    I would love a RM, but my budget is sub $1k, as that is all insurance would give me for my K2.
    Maybe if I can find an altitude frame I can build for <$1k.
    I checked the LBS, and both could special order a RM altitude 30 for $2400 best price.
    Check out JensonUSA. 2011 Slayer 30 for $1800 close-out deal. Sold out already.

Now check out this big boy : Rocky Mountain Altitude 70RSL Carbon FRM > R > Rocky Mountain | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Rocky Mountain Carbon Altitude Frame on sale for only $1 150 (reg $3 400). If it's the right size, that's what you need. More AM than FR, but still rip the gnar.

Airborne bikes comparable to what?-g00007xe.jpg

Titanium junkie
    I'd still look at the Zeppelin Elite.
    Complete bike for not a lot of money, and
    when you are ready you can pull some parts off it
    to put on a different frame.
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Decision

Thanks for the input folks. I ended up going with DavidC's recommendation and built a RM altitude, which only cost me a couple hundred more than importing an airborne bike, and I think I got a much better quality frame, with better components.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooperuss View Post
    Thanks for the input folks. I ended up going with DavidC's recommendation and built a RM altitude, which only cost me a couple hundred more than importing an airborne bike, and I think I got a much better quality frame, with better components.
    That's awesome bro. Not that I mean Airborne bikes aren't worth it, but that you managed to get yourself something good enough to last you, either it was an airborne or any other manufacturer, but at least that you didn't go the cheap way and run into low-end parts issue.

I hope you'll have a great time out there and be happy with your purchases

mtbr member
    Looking at the Airborne Goblin next to the Trek Mamba, I would pick the Goblin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKreitzer View Post
    Looking at the Airborne Goblin next to the Trek Mamba, I would pick the Goblin.
    I wouldn't go near a company that feels the need to pay a dumb astroturfer like you to bump every thread that contains the word "Airborne". It's a pathetic, desperate form of free advertising and shows a complete lack of respect for this forum.

mtbr member
    Before you open your mouth next time you need to check your facts. A simple search would have gone a long way for you.

Hopefully this post will clear things up for you.

http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discu...ml#post9674036