Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Airborne bikes is back

I know I got kind of excited too. But sadly they are not as nice as the old bikes.

http://airbornebicycles.com/Products/Default.aspx

yeah, uh............bikes

mtbr member
    Dam I really am disappointed now.

Live 2 Ride
    I remember the old ads. These bikes aren't nearly as nice.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197
    I remember the old ads. These bikes aren't nearly as nice.

Yea I worked on a few of the bikes back in the day. I thought they were kind of nice. And I loved the nose art on the top tube.

I thought at least for awhile that Airborne was a part of Huffy, still based in Ohio (but obviously selling Ti frames made in Asia somewhere to keep costs down).

I wondered what happened to them...didn't they sort of pioneer the direct to the buyer over the internet market?

I heard about the relaunch. Rather disappointed that they're just rebadged Iron Horses, but I did notice that they were NOTHING like the old Airbornes and had a bit of an air of cheapness about them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Airborne takes flight

Hey everyone,

My name is Martin and I am part of the Airborne Flight Crew (a group chosen to test and review Airborne bicycles). It's my pleasure to confirm that Airborne is indeed back!!!! We launched at Sea Otter over the weekend and we couldn't be more stoked about the response we received from visitors to our tent.

We are committed to providing a great value to the biking community and I think we have hit that goal. Perhaps better with some bikes than others. The thing to remember is that this is merely our starting point. While at Sea Otter we were already began experimenting with different component setups on the bikes to increase performance and (on the xc bikes) reduce weight.

Our goal is to become dynamic, social media driven company. To that end, we welcome any feedback that you guys might have. I invite you to visit us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Air...s/300378139258 and share your thoughts on our products. But don't stay too long. Get out there and ride!!!

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Didn't the original owner of Airborne make his own company anyhow? Van-Nicholas bicycles, right?

http://vannicholas.com/Wbmhome.aspx

These new Airbornes seem to only be cashing in on the name, labeling beginner's bikes with a known name from the past.
    Last edited by glitz; 04-20-2010 at 12:15 AM.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by poontank
    Hey everyone,

My name is Martin and I am part of the Airborne Flight Crew (a group chosen to test and review Airborne bicycles). It's my pleasure to confirm that Airborne is indeed back!!!! We launched at Sea Otter over the weekend and we couldn't be more stoked about the response we received from visitors to our tent.

We are committed to providing a great value to the biking community and I think we have hit that goal. Perhaps better with some bikes than others. The thing to remember is that this is merely our starting point. While at Sea Otter we were already began experimenting with different component setups on the bikes to increase performance and (on the xc bikes) reduce weight.

Our goal is to become dynamic, social media driven company. To that end, we welcome any feedback that you guys might have. I invite you to visit us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Air...s/300378139258 and share your thoughts on our products. But don't stay too long. Get out there and ride!!!
    How is it that you say "we're a group chosen to test and review Airborne" when you also refer to the company as "Us" "Our" "We", and so forth?

What value will the reviews have if you're working for the company?

Seeeriously easy Livin
    Frames definitely look like old iron horse warrior and yakuza offerings

local trails rider
    The New Airborne looks like a very different thing, judging by the model selection. I see fairly conservative designs, which is not a bad thing as long as they work. Will it catch the eye of the buyers? We'll see.

(I believe "the original guy" goes on at http://vannicholas.com/ , which is doing relatively affordable titanium)

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Ahhh...interesting...Airborne and their dealer Giantnerd seem to have a connection to Randall Weidberg of Iron Horse fame. He's come back strong...

That's reason enough not to support Airborne.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by glitz
    How is it that you say "we're a group chosen to test and review Airborne" when you also refer to the company as "Us" "Our" "We", and so forth?

What value will the reviews have if you're working for the company?
    I'll try my best to explain. I do not work for Airborne. I am an unpaid independent contractor. I'd love to see the brand succeed, but I'm not going to compromise my integrity to that end. We'll be out there testing bikes and writing reviews, but we will always be up front about being a member of the crew.

I also will be submitting reviews to Airborne as feedback after testing their products so the information can be used to improve their bicycles.

For those reasons, I would think a review from the flight crew would have some credibility.
    tankpro.org
    IMBA National Mountain Bike Patrol
    southernkettles.org

Airborne Product Dude
    Didn't the original owner of Airborne make his own company anyhow? Van-Nicholas bicycles, right?

These new Airbornes seem to only be cashing in on the name, labeling beginner's bikes with a known name from the past.
    Van Nicholas is owned and ran by JW. JW was the distributor and european partner for the first Airborne bicycles. After Airborne closed down shop in the US, JW continued with the frame designs using the same factory and formed his own company. He's done some great design and product since then. But its erroneous to call him the first owner of Airborne. Jamie Raddin was the brainchild and founder of the first Airborne company.

I was a part of the first Airborne. It was a great company to work for and frankly, IMHO, ahead of its time.

The new Airborne is completely different. We are targeting an enthusiast market and trying to offer a product to get people out riding, or maybe who are considering trying a different discipline (like Downhill, for example) but don't want to shell out a ton of cash to buy a high dollar rig. We want to put more people on bikes.

Yes some of the designs look familiar. We have partnered with the factory that made the Iron Horse products.. Top tube lengths, some shapes, and geometry have been changed and more changes are coming.

We are working on some interesting new models and have a few things in the hopper that are industry-changing.

I'm a bike snob myself. I'll admit it. I've got rigs at home that cost waaaaaaaaay more than anything we offer. I'm not the demographic that these bikes are targeted at. Well, maybe I am. I've got the first Taka downhill rig that we made. There's no place to ride downhill close to me, never really done it, but now I'm going to give it a try.

So I'm excited about the new Airborne. The guys and girls that won the contest to come to Sea Otter and ride our bikes were a great group of people. They don't work for us, and frankly if they have an opinion that's bad or indifferent about the product, I want them to express it.

I hope that helps a bit. I couldn't find my login info so I had to re-register. If anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me, I'd be happy to talk!

Take care,

Jeremy

mtbr member

Nice belt driven Ti frames. Must not spend money Must not spend money Must not spend money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer
    Van Nicholas is owned and ran by JW. JW was the distributor and european partner for the first Airborne bicycles. After Airborne closed down shop in the US, JW continued with the frame designs using the same factory and formed his own company. He's done some great design and product since then. But its erroneous to call him the first owner of Airborne. Jamie Raddin was the brainchild and founder of the first Airborne company.

I was a part of the first Airborne. It was a great company to work for and frankly, IMHO, ahead of its time.

The new Airborne is completely different. We are targeting an enthusiast market and trying to offer a product to get people out riding, or maybe who are considering trying a different discipline (like Downhill, for example) but don't want to shell out a ton of cash to buy a high dollar rig. We want to put more people on bikes.

Yes some of the designs look familiar. We have partnered with the factory that made the Iron Horse products.. Top tube lengths, some shapes, and geometry have been changed and more changes are coming.

We are working on some interesting new models and have a few things in the hopper that are industry-changing.

I'm a bike snob myself. I'll admit it. I've got rigs at home that cost waaaaaaaaay more than anything we offer. I'm not the demographic that these bikes are targeted at. Well, maybe I am. I've got the first Taka downhill rig that we made. There's no place to ride downhill close to me, never really done it, but now I'm going to give it a try.

So I'm excited about the new Airborne. The guys and girls that won the contest to come to Sea Otter and ride our bikes were a great group of people. They don't work for us, and frankly if they have an opinion that's bad or indifferent about the product, I want them to express it.

I hope that helps a bit. I couldn't find my login info so I had to re-register. If anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me, I'd be happy to talk!

Take care,

Jeremy

Are you guys going to do any Carbon race bikes? And will you offer just frames at any time?

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser
    Are you guys going to do any Carbon race bikes? And will you offer just frames at any time?
    Carbon is not on the menu at the moment, but some other interesting materials are being used and tested right now.

Frame-only sales could be a possibility next year depending on how things go with this initial launch. I'll keep everyone updated as things progress.....

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Carbon is not on the menu at the moment, but some other interesting materials are being used and tested right now.

Frame-only sales could be a possibility next year depending on how things go with this initial launch. I'll keep everyone updated as things progress.....

Jeremy

Cool I tend to buy frames. Almost no one specs a bike the way I like it. And I probably couldn't afford it of they did.

Airborne Product Dude
    Cool I tend to buy frames. Almost no one specs a bike the way I like it.
    I hear ya brother. I'm picky as hell too.

Live 2 Ride
    So to paraphrase the new Airborne frames are just Iron Horse stuff.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197
    So to paraphrase the new Airborne frames are just Iron Horse stuff.

Sounds like it for now. But I will keep my eye on them, If they do something cool in an XC bike I would buy it.

mtbr member
    This is a philosophy I can stand behind. While I would like a nice $6-7,000 Specialized Carbon Enduro, I am never going to be able to afford that. But if you bring the price down to maybe $1,000, well hey that's something that I could work towards. (The Zeppelin Elite is right under the $1k mark, and it rides well!)

None of the models are selling for anywhere near the set $2,500 ceiling right now (currently $1,600-1,700 for the Taka downhill rig). But there are already whispers of several new bikes in the works looking to be lighter and with better components coming in close to that ceiling. After putting a bunch of mile on their bikes already, I'm sure you can get a heck of a lot of bike out of $2,500 with Airborne. Now to figure out a way to get my hands on one!

So in a nut shell, that's why I'm excited about being on the Airborne Flight Crew. I think it's a very cool idea and a very cool brand, and with the riding I've done on the bikes, they have been very nice! I'm looking forward to writing more about them in future, and telling the good and the bad. I've already written a couple reviews on my blog, and I mentioned everything that went wrong as well as all the things that went right. If the bikes are good, they're going to stand on their own!

Later,
    -Greg
    GregRidesTrails.com--An informational and instructional mountain bike blog.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbGreg
    This is a philosophy I can stand behind. While I would like a nice $6-7,000 Specialized Carbon Enduro, I am never going to be able to afford that. But if you bring the price down to maybe $1,000, well hey that's something that I could work towards. (The Zeppelin Elite is right under the $1k mark, and it rides well!)

None of the models are selling for anywhere near the set $2,500 ceiling right now (currently $1,600-1,700 for the Taka downhill rig). But there are already whispers of several new bikes in the works looking to be lighter and with better components coming in close to that ceiling. After putting a bunch of mile on their bikes already, I'm sure you can get a heck of a lot of bike out of $2,500 with Airborne. Now to figure out a way to get my hands on one!

So in a nut shell, that's why I'm excited about being on the Airborne Flight Crew. I think it's a very cool idea and a very cool brand, and with the riding I've done on the bikes, they have been very nice! I'm looking forward to writing more about them in future, and telling the good and the bad. I've already written a couple reviews on my blog, and I mentioned everything that went wrong as well as all the things that went right. If the bikes are good, they're going to stand on their own!

Later,
    -Greg

Let me get this striate. You wright reviews on bikes and you take a big 6in bike on single track thats fast and isn't technical. And then you take an entry level hard tail to a pump track. And you want us to trust your reviews? What kind of industry experience do you have? What kind of a rider are you? Have you ever raced? What kind of ability level are you?

mtbr member
    Let me get this striate. You wright reviews on bikes and you take a big 6in bike on single track thats fast and isn't technical. And then you take an entry level hard tail to a pump track. And you want us to trust your reviews? What kind of industry experience do you have? What kind of a rider are you? Have you ever raced? What kind of ability level are you?
    As I said, there was nothing harder available. I mentioned that in my post, and said it needed tougher terrain to test it's metal, and that I wished I could take it back east with me.

In all honesty, I didn't feel like the trails out there were sufficient to really see what this bike is capable of. There is so much burl packed into an affordable package and labeled with the name "Marauder" that I'd really need to get it back on some East Coast gnar or some good, technical Rocky Mountain descents.
    As for the hardtail, the dirt jumps were just for kicks I rocked it through some standard XC stuff first, hence:

I rock and rolled through the test bumps and turns, bridges and dirt just fine! The Airborne Spectre (available in two different component builds) really is a solid hardtail at a very reasonable price, and is definitely worthy of a look for those in the market for their first mountain bike, or even those looking for a solid hardtail at a reasonable price.

Not only is this just a solid hardtail for regular usage, it can take a little abuse too! After the test track I eyed up...
    As for more information about me and my riding, why not try the "About Me" section? That's where that sort of information is usually located.
    GregRidesTrails.com--An informational and instructional mountain bike blog.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbGreg
    As I said, there was nothing harder available. I mentioned that in my post, and said it needed tougher terrain to test it's metal, and that I wished I could take it back east with me.

As for the hardtail, the dirt jumps were just for kicks I rocked it through some standard XC stuff first, hence:

As for more information about me and my riding, why not try the "About Me" section? That's where that sort of information is usually located.

So your a dude that likes to ride bikes. You have no actual industry experience. You don't race for any one. And You base line for what a bike should feel like is your 2007 Jamis Dakar XLT. I will stick with the guys at Bike Mag for my reviews.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast