Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Airborne Flight Crew

Airborne Action!

Lets see your Airborne ________ in action! Post up your cool photos or vids...

Guardian at PBR:

Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    taking my Guardian out to the Greenbelt in Austin, TX. my first video! every time the video fades is where my big chainring takes a huge chunk of a rock and I stop

Mountain Biking - Austin TX Greenbelt

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post

Guardian at PBR:

Awesome vid!

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by swl7 View Post
    taking my Guardian out to the Greenbelt in Austin, TX. my first video! every time the video fades is where my big chainring takes a huge chunk of a rock and I stop

Mountain Biking - Austin TX Greenbelt
    Nicely done! now.. more
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Vettevert View Post
    Awesome vid!
    Thanks!!
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post

Guardian at PBR:

Rockin that hardtail..........very nice.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Berm time on the Taka:

Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    A couple shots of my first ever mtn bike race. If I remember correctly, I managed to get 2nd in the Cat 2's. It was a brutal/fun/hot day on the trails. Turns out pre-riding the course is probably one of the most important things in mtn biking. I did not pre-ride that course and crashed 5 times on the first lap. No crashes after that. Very likely could have won without the crashes. since this race, I've raised my saddle significantly, gone tubeless, and am getting ready to replace the bars, stem, and seatpost. Front wheel is a Stan's Crest and I'll get an Arch EX for the rear when I get enough money.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Copperhed51 View Post
    A couple shots of my first ever mtn bike race. If I remember correctly, I managed to get 2nd in the Cat 2's. It was a brutal/fun/hot day on the trails. Turns out pre-riding the course is probably one of the most important things in mtn biking. I did not pre-ride that course and crashed 5 times on the first lap. No crashes after that. Very likely could have won without the crashes. since this race, I've raised my saddle significantly, gone tubeless, and am getting ready to replace the bars, stem, and seatpost. Front wheel is a Stan's Crest and I'll get an Arch EX for the rear when I get enough money.

Congrats! Never raced xc, but for Downhill, pre-riding, even pre-Walking the courses is almost mandatory.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    On my Marauder, this was taken by Flight Crew Member Neil Bryant on 5 Oaks trail in Orange county

This one was taken by my buddy Shawn at Vail Lake.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Marauder at Vail Lake

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Not the best pictures, but my camera on my phone was all I had and a 12 year old was taking the picture.....

Airborne Flight Crew
    Putting the Hobgoblin through its paces in New Mexico.

Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    So Jerry, how is the HG?

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikr94 View Post
    So Jerry, how is the HG?
    Well, after about 3.5 hours on it I have to say it's pretty cool. But remember, this my FIRST real ride on this beauty

I expected the suspension to behave like the Maestro/Giant set up, and for the most part it does; it does not bob when pedaling (no "platform" setting on shock is really needed). Which is especially nice on climbs, you can feel the power going directly to the wheel with little/no loss to suspension movement. While operates very similar to the Maestro stuff, it feels more like an FSR. Back end tracked very well through high speed stutter bumps and took the big hits too. On even the steepest of climbs, it held very well - even when climbing while standing.

Like most multi-links, you "sit" further in to the bike/sag than other designs, but you get used to it after about 5 pedal strokes. Steering was nimble/accurate in slower winding spots, and when the speed picked up, it was surprisingly stable.

Another thing about "other" multi link designs; the back end will tend to rise when braking @ speed, as well you can experience pedal "feedback" when pedaling over larger rocks or up steps, the set up on the Hobgoblin did not exhibit this behavior today - but I have to say the trails were mostly smooth. I'll be on some rockier terrain tomorrow.

The Geax tires did a good job, and totally saved my butt several times on a very off-camber semi chunky stretch of trail. I totally expected them to slide out from beneath me, even prepared my center of gravity for it, but they totally held the edge. I don't know if is the tread, or maybe the slight larger volume than the Small Block 8's (at least in my perception), but I was pretty stoked on them.

Drive train did its job with no complaints or missed shifts or ghost shifts. Brakes were good, though I'm not sure they're bedded in completely.

It "rides light" too. Completely flickable, slow or at speed its easy to maneuver the bike where you need it to be.

Trail I was on today is White Mesa, consisting of lots of speedy single track, some off camber traverses, steepish lines, a bit of chattery trail, some pretty steep sustained climbs (both loose and toothy) and some small bumps n jumps - nothing larger than a foot or two. This bike killed it all day on this terrain.

Tomorrow should be a ride on more techy stuff, I'm looking forward to it.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Jerry,

Thanks for the quick synopsis of the first ride...I am really torn between this and the Goblin XO right now. I haven't even ridden a FS bike off road before but from everything I've read about Giant and Specialized's offerings, I have been really interested in them. I demo'ed a Spec. Epic Comp, a Niner Jet9 RDO, and a Trek Superfly at an outdoor expo here back in early Oct. It was a little course set up in a grassy area so not an actual trail. For some reason, I can't get the Spec. out of my mind...Have yet to try a Giant but would really like to before I pull the trigger.

Thanks again for the reply.

Keith

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikr94 View Post
    Jerry,

Thanks for the quick synopsis of the first ride...I am really torn between this and the Goblin XO right now. I haven't even ridden a FS bike off road before but from everything I've read about Giant and Specialized's offerings, I have been really interested in them. I demo'ed a Spec. Epic Comp, a Niner Jet9 RDO, and a Trek Superfly at an outdoor expo here back in early Oct. It was a little course set up in a grassy area so not an actual trail. For some reason, I can't get the Spec. out of my mind...Have yet to try a Giant but would really like to before I pull the trigger.

Thanks again for the reply.

Keith
    No problem Keith, sound like you've got a good sampling. If deciding between these brands is your biggest worry ;D.... If you can, try a Giant, it's probably the closest feel to a Hobgoblin. Be sure to post back once you pull the trigger.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

Airborne Flight Crew

Albuquerque...

Anybody else riding and shooting?
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

Airborne Flight Crew
    anyone else getting in some pre-spring riding?

Airborne Action!-8445566701_72be38ee8c_b.jpg
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Copperhed51 View Post

Was this race the Colavita cross country challenge at Wyandotte county lake? It looks to me that your coming down Smores just before the switchback that everyone was having trouble with. That was a very hot day and the waterfall sprinkler was all that was keeping many riders from pushing into heat stroke.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMasonJones View Post
    Was this race the Colavita cross country challenge at Wyandotte county lake? It looks to me that your coming down Smores just before the switchback that everyone was having trouble with. That was a very hot day and the waterfall sprinkler was all that was keeping many riders from pushing into heat stroke.
    Yep, that was the race. I'll take your word for it on my location in the photos. That was still my one and only time riding the WyCo trails. You're definitely right about the heat. On the first lap, all was well, but on every lap after that, there was a horrible smell of death on the trail somewhere. I just assumed a rider overheated, ran off the side of the trail, and decomposed within about 20 minutes due to the heat. Also, it looks like that was my 2nd mtn bike race I'd ever done. Either way, I ended up 2nd in both. I had 5 second place finishes last year actually. 2 in mtn bike races, 1 in cyclocross, and 2 on the road in my first season as a Cat 3. I expect this season to be much less successful.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Keepin' the action going...

ABQ tech line....

Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Sweet pic Jerry, and welcome back to Albuquerque!

Airborne Flight Crew
    Thanks! and great to be back
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

NeedGod.com
    Wow, awesome shot!
    Nathan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast