mtbr member

Adjusting a Goblin to fit

Received the Goblin yesterday and knocked out about 7 miles of exceptionally rooty trails. Excellent bike and had a blast but would like a little advice on adjusting it to fit.

What did you guys do to properly adjust your Goblin to you?

Is the seat something everyone replaces (very painful seat)?

Stem spacers?

mtbr member
    I replaced the seat because I agree it is not the most comfortable. I think it is more of a racing-style type of seat so its not really built for comfort. I put on the seat form my Specialized Hardrock.

I am still relatively new to mountain biking but as for fit, I did a little research online but the stem and bars are ok for me I just needed to jack the seatpost up (I am 6'1" 34"inseam riding a 20" goblin frame). The height of the seat is about even with the bars now and this is comfortable for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Adjusting a Goblin to fit

You probably need more time on the bike to see what really should or shouldn't be changed. You could certainly mess around with seat height and spacers to see how that affects you.

I find the stock saddle to be surprisingly comfortable so far. Longest time on saddle is probably 1 hour and 30 minutes so I haven't been on for a really long period of time yet.

TXTony
    A lot of that is gonna come down to personal pref. Like Trevor said spend some time on it on different trails to see what you like and what may need changing. I actually put a shorter stem and the narrowest flat bars I could find. But I run narrow bars on all my bikes. I spent three hours on it Sunday and the saddle will be going. It's not a bad saddle just not for me. I also run my brake levers and shifters as close as I can on the bars. You can play around with the angles of those as well. I also slammed some WTB lock on grips. Again personal preference.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice, I think I will give the saddle some more time on less rooty trails. Also going to wear some padded pants.

It did seem like a very wide grip.

TXTony
    Quote Originally Posted by jacklikesbeans View Post
    Thanks for the advice, I think I will give the saddle some more time on less rooty trails. Also going to wear some padded pants.

It did seem like a very wide grip.
    Oh yeah..padded shorts will definitely help take some of the sting out of the saddle situation.

mtbr member
    Yep ill be replacing the seat on my Hobgob for sure especially for long rides. My first few I wasnt sitting down long enough to tell.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have not ridden my Goblin more than a mile or so around the block yet. Seat seams ok so far, but the bars feel very narrow. I've give it a few miles on the trails before I start changing things though.