mtbr member

Adding an archived products section to our website

I know a few folks on here have asked that we make info on old models readily available, so we've created an archived products section on our website.

Airborne Bicycles. Archived (old) Airborne Models

It's rather simple but I don't think it needs to be too involved. We've got the old Guardian 1.0 info up there right now as a test. The plan is to make a PDF for each old model just like the Guardian so that folks can access info on their bike if they have questions like fork-type, angles, TT length, etc.

What do you guys think?

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Half serious suggestion: call them 'legacy' models rather than 'old' models?? Has a more positive connotation.

mtbr member
    Good suggestion. Check it now.

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Good suggestion. Check it now.

Jeremy
    Ahhh....much better

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeinMinn View Post
    Half serious suggestion: call them 'legacy' models rather than 'old' models?? Has a more positive connotation.
    Brilliant--Either you work in Marketing or you should pursue a career in it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WineDine29er View Post
    Appreciate all the help I can get! I'm just really a bike bum masquerading as a product manager masquerading as a marketing guy.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by WineDine29er View Post
    No I don't work in marketing. I just visit a lot of web sites.

I think that this is a really good idea. Was thinking about how much it would help those researching a pre-owned bike.

eff
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeinMinn View Post
    No I don't work in marketing. I just visit a lot of web sites.

I think that this is a really good idea. Was thinking about how much it would help those researching a pre-owned bike.
    And keep owners of older bikes connected to the brand through visibility on the website.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks for adding this to the website. i knew the subject had come up a few months ago. Thanks for not forgetting!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    This is an awesome idea, and it could help us owners of older models sell our bikes!

mtbr member

As somebody who saved screenshots of the Green Goblin specs while that page was still up I like having archived products available.

mtbr member
    Always a fan of archived info!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    This is great I have a Skyhawk (in bits) and a green goblin so the more info the better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Damn, I was hoping to compare my Sortie's angles vs what they are now.

mtbr member
    Sorry, that's not one of our products.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Sorry, that's not one of our products.

Jeremy
    I think you're mistaken Jeremy. The page says "Airborne" products, not Huffy bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bacoes View Post
    I think you're mistaken Jeremy. The page says "Airborne" products, not Huffy bikes.
    ???

Jeremy

mtbr member

Does anybody have any clue what this guy is saying?

mtbr member
    I don't get it

Ride On!
    ]

.... The plan is to make a PDF for each old model just like the Guardian so that folks can access info on their bike if they have questions like fork-type, angles, TT length, etc.

What do you guys think?

Jeremy

I think it is a great idea, noticed that the Zeppelin Elite info is in a "coming soon" status, is there any update as to when it might be available? - Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Just google the address on the boxes that your bikes were shipped in if the sordid history of the company isn't already known.

mtbr member
    Just google the address on the boxes that your bikes were shipped in if the sordid history of the company isn't already known.
    "sordid"? Seriously?

We've never hidden the fact that we are owned by a larger parent company. You aren't bringing anything new to the table; sorry to burst your bubble.

Next..........

Jeremy

mtbr member
    "sordid"? Seriously?

We've never hidden the fact that we are owned by a larger parent company. You aren't bringing anything new to the table; sorry to burst your bubble.

Next..........

Jeremy
    And what does it have to do with a Sortie?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toddre View Post
    And what does it have to do with a Sortie?

I am guessing absolutely nothing, bacoes is simply a sad little troll. Either that or he is really dumb enough to think that Diamondback and Huffy are affiliated somehow.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It's amazing how much doesn't change in ten years.

If you're the same Jeremy I used to work with, you've become almost as slimy as Jamie.

I had no idea that the Airborne story wasn't known.

When a company says "They're back", where are they back from? Are they back to being Chinese titanium? Doesn't look like it. Are they back to being Huffy's flagship brand like they used to be? I guess so...

Glad I got a Flyte out of there.

mtbr member
    It's amazing how much doesn't change in ten years.

If you're the same Jeremy I used to work with, you've become almost as slimy as Jamie.

I had no idea that the Airborne story wasn't known.

When a company says "They're back", where are they back from? Are they back to being Chinese titanium? Doesn't look like it. Are they back to being Huffy's flagship brand like they used to be? I guess so...

Glad I got a Flyte out of there.
    I was fortunate enough to spend a season on the Flight Crew a couple of years back. I won't get into my personal history but BDF and everyone else at Airborne lifted me up when I needed it most. Always were a great an honest bunch of guys.
    Still trying to figure out what any of this has to do with a Sortie ......

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    "sordid"? Seriously?

Next..........

Jeremy
    Okay, so who/what is the larger parent company? It's not going to affect the fact that I'm planning to buy a Goblin in April. I'm just curious.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Found the answer to my question. Very cool. I was wondering, when I saw where Airborne was located, if there was any affiliation or if, maybe, y'all were using the old factory. Very cool.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rosborn View Post
    Okay, so who/what is the larger parent company? It's not going to affect the fact that I'm planning to buy a Goblin in April. I'm just curious.
    Huffy is the parent company, Airborne operates under their own office and control, and uses Huffy's warehousing and size to leverage manufacturing and vendor prices.

EDIT: oops, just saw you answered your own question. Airborne/Jeremy/Eric never hid from the fact that they were a Huffy company and when I asked Jeremy directly about it the first time I spoke with him on the phone he was very open about how it works. Seemed to welcome any questions or inquiries into how things go there.
    Eric

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Huffy, didn't know they were still around? Lol.

Sent from my phone via Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by skyphix View Post
    Huffy is the parent company, Airborne operates under their own office and control, and uses Huffy's warehousing and size to leverage manufacturing and vendor prices.

EDIT: oops, just saw you answered your own question. Airborne/Jeremy/Eric never hid from the fact that they were a Huffy company and when I asked Jeremy directly about it the first time I spoke with him on the phone he was very open about how it works. Seemed to welcome any questions or inquiries into how things go there.
    Hell, I don't have a problem with it. My first bike was a Huffy and I rode the crap out of that. My cousins all had Schwinns and I had a Huffy. I used to beat them in races (banana seat days) on a regular basis. Not only that but I used to ride wheelies across the parking lot - without the sissy bar. That was my favorite bike ever. I have always been a big fan of Huffy.

mtbr member
    Hell, I don't have a problem with it. My first bike was a Huffy and I rode the crap out of that. My cousins all had Schwinns and I had a Huffy. I used to beat them in races (banana seat days) on a regular basis. Not only that but I used to ride wheelies across the parking lot - without the sissy bar. That was my favorite bike ever. I have always been a big fan of Huffy.
    Hell, Huffy's been ridden in the Tour and even won the Giro....

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    My first bike was a used Huffy too. It was bright yellow rusty steel, ugly as sin, and built like a tank. I used to ride around my parents garage to get up speed, then hit an open drainage ditch at a 90 degree angle just to feel what it felt like to fly over the bars Probably the most fun I've ever had on a bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by toddre View Post
    Hell, Huffy's been ridden in the Tour and even won the Giro....
    That's all well and good but I tore up the mean streets of Blissfield, Michigan, on mine...

mtbr member
    I had a banana seat huffy when I was a kid as well. That was a wheelie machine!!

It never bothered me a bit who Airborne's parent company is. I never gave it a second thought. Hell, look who owns Cannondale! I don't hear Cannondale accused of selling Mongoose bikes, I don't see how this is any different.

mtbr member
    Found the answer to my question. Very cool. I was wondering, when I saw where Airborne was located, if there was any affiliation or if, maybe, y'all were using the old factory. Very cool.
    I had to dig around to find this, but here's a post from shortly after the Airborne forum here got up and running.

Airborne history and company structure

This gives a little insight into us and who we are.

Being owned by Huffy is certainly a good thing. It gives us great buying power and other perks that small companies like us generally don't have.

I personally have a lot of pride in what Huffy does; they make bikes that the masses can afford. If it gets a kid (or adult) into riding and they eventually buy a more expensive bike and make a lifelong hobby of it, that's a great thing. My first BMX bike when I was 10 was a Huffy with a DK stem. Ask most folks who their first bike was and its usually a Huffy (OK, sometimes Schwinn).

Anyway, this thread has went somewhat off-course. Sorry for that. I've got plans to finish the rest of the info for the archived products but won't get to it for a few more weeks due to workload here.

Let me know if you have any more questions, thanks!

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Jeremy,

I didn't mean to continue to hijack the thread but felt it important to make a statement.

I have sent two email questions to Airborne and have received two quick and cordial responses. I am not even a customer yet. As far as I am concerned that is very telling about the commitment Airborne has to customer service and I have been extremely impressed.

I am going to lay this out there. If Airborne were called Huffy and made the same great bikes with the same great customer service I would still purchase a Huffy branded mountain bike. For me, it isn't about where the frame is made (they're all basically made in the same place anyway) or what entity is behind the name on the bike. Rather, it is about the commitment to the customer - listening to what the customer has to say, offering products the customer wants and making a great product. From what I have seen, and your willingness to interact with all of us here, Airborne goes above and beyond. You guys are building a real relationship with your customers. I don't want to go to extremes but it's almost like we're all sitting around chatting about bikes and having fun and productive interaction. In other words, the Airborne guys aren't placing themselves in some lofty, holier than thou, position with us, the consumer, being the dregs of society. I like that, a lot.

Thank you for your willingness to be a part of the forum and for spending your time with us.

Rob

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Man when I was a kid I thought Huffy was the only bike made..all my buddies rode them and that Huffy took me places and on adventures all around where I grew up...I remember the thing was heavy and squeaked sometimes...but we would line our bikes up out by the shed and clean them and work on them like we knew what we where doing...then off again on a adventure..

That Huffy gave me a passion for two wheeled adventure...and of course like most of us here we grow up and move on to bigger and better things...we get deep into a sport that is highly competitive for our money and business..I can only imagine a working parent trying to outfit a family in bikes to enjoy or try a sport that so many of us are passionate about...people knock them all the time but Huffy has allowed a lot of us to grow into a sport that we seem to love....as obvious by our participation here...and because a lot of us grew up on that Huffy we are know here on a community of like minded riders...sharing our experiences and knowledge with each other...kind of like those little dudes and dudettes who rode their Huffy's out to the ball field or over to the fort to hang out....yeah..can not knock something like that...a part of Americana regardless if some people see it that way or not...just my opinion..

And I agree if my Goblin said Huffy on it I would be ripping around on the sickest Huffy in the woods.

mtbr member
    Jeremy,

I didn't mean to continue to hijack the thread but felt it important to make a statement.

I have sent two email questions to Airborne and have received two quick and cordial responses. I am not even a customer yet. As far as I am concerned that is very telling about the commitment Airborne has to customer service and I have been extremely impressed.

I am going to lay this out there. If Airborne were called Huffy and made the same great bikes with the same great customer service I would still purchase a Huffy branded mountain bike. For me, it isn't about where the frame is made (they're all basically made in the same place anyway) or what entity is behind the name on the bike. Rather, it is about the commitment to the customer - listening to what the customer has to say, offering products the customer wants and making a great product. From what I have seen, and your willingness to interact with all of us here, Airborne goes above and beyond. You guys are building a real relationship with your customers. I don't want to go to extremes but it's almost like we're all sitting around chatting about bikes and having fun and productive interaction. In other words, the Airborne guys aren't placing themselves in some lofty, holier than thou, position with us, the consumer, being the dregs of society. I like that, a lot.

Thank you for your willingness to be a part of the forum and for spending your time with us.

Rob
    Well said

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTx View Post
    yeah..can not knock something like that...a part of Americana regardless if some people see it that way or not...just my opinion..
    That's it, exactly...Americana. Huffy and Airborne are from the heart of America. No pretense and no schlock. I don't mean to offend anyone with this but great Midwestern ethos - that being a great bang for your buck, a quality product for a reasonable price.

mtbr member

Rob
    You're welcome!

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Skyhawk "legacy" Specs

Figured I'd post this "legacy" info on the Skyhawk in case anybody's looking for it:

We dare you to find a better 26" hardtail mountain bike at this price.*

We*created*the Skyhawk's frame by shrinking the popular Goblin frame down to 26inch size and tuned the geometry for 26inch wheels. What this means is you get a great-looking hydroformed 6000 series aluminum frame with integrated bearing head-tube,*that has proven itself in racing and trail riding. On that frame we hung SRAM X4 shifting components and an SR Suntour 100mm XCM fork.
    The Skyhawk also features hydraulic Auriga disc brakes from Tektro. You simply can't find hydraulic brakes at this price point; not even on higher priced bikes like Trek's 3900 Disc and Specialized's Hardrock Disc. We've also put oversized aluminum*31.8mm bars and stem on the Skyhawk for added stregth and rigidity. Again, you won't find this on those other bikes even at a higher price. We rounded out the package with a set of double-walled Alex rims wrapped by Kenda rubber.

So go ahead and look around. We don't think you'll find a bike as great as this for $399. Act fast because supplies are limited.......and we have a feeling they will go fast!

A Frame Size 16" 18" 19.5" 21"
    B Actual Top Tube Length (cm) 51.6 55.7 57.9 59.8
    C Effective Top Tube Length (cm) 53.4 58 60 62
    D Seat Tube Angle 73.5° 73° 73° 73°
    E Head Tube Angle 70° 70° 70° 70°
    F Head Tube Length 120mm 130mm 140mm 150mm
    G Fork Offset 45mm 45mm 45mm 45mm
    H Chain Stay Length (cm) 42 42 42 42
    I Wheel Base (cm) 102.8 107.3 109.2 111.3
    Crank Length 170mm 175mm 175mm 175mm
    Bar Width 640mm 640mm 640mm 640mm
    Stem Length 90mm 90mm 100mm 110mm