Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Cool-blue Rhythm About to order Airborne Seeker, last minute advice.

A quick background. I am: male, 6'2", 215 pounds, and this will be my first mountain bike. After a lot of research I have decided an Airborne Seeker is the right bike for me. My only concern is buying the Seeker and wishing I would have bought the Goblin. I can afford the Goblin, but with razor thin margins. This makes me think that the Seeker is a better choice because I will have money left over for knee pads, spare tubes, maintenance and just general mountain biking tools/accessories. Another thing to consider is this is my first bike, and if I really enjoy it as much as I think I will then I plan on purchasing a FS bike a couple years down the road.

I have factored in the following:
    • Bike (Seeker) - $929.95
    • Shipping - $75.00
    • Assembly (LBS) - $50.00
    • Pedals (Wellgo MG-1's) - $41.14
    • Helmet (661 Recon Stealth) - $96.00
    • TOTAL - $1192.00

QUESTIONS:
    1. Should I purchase the Seeker or Goblin?
    2. Can you think of anything else that is absolutely necessary for me to start riding trails?

I'm sure I'll be happy either way, but just wanted some opinions.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Well, you will need the helmet and pedals no matter what.
    You can assemble it yourself. (that saves $50)

I would go with the seeker unless you plan on upgrading everything on the bike. It has a good spec. I normally tell my buddies who want to get into mountain biking to buy a cheap used bike and ride that thing and save for the bike that they really want. That way you don't eat the depreciation. But if you really want new, the seeker is a great way to go.

If you think you will upgrade drivetrain, fork, brakes, etc then go with the goblin.

The Frames are the exact same thing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Well, you will need the helmet and pedals no matter what.
    You can assemble it yourself. (that saves $50)

I would go with the seeker unless you plan on upgrading everything on the bike. It has a good spec. I normally tell my buddies who want to get into mountain biking to buy a cheap used bike and ride that thing and save for the bike that they really want. That way you don't eat the depreciation. But if you really want new, the seeker is a great way to go.

If you think you will upgrade drivetrain, fork, brakes, etc then go with the goblin.

The Frames are the exact same thing.
    Thanks for the reply. I could assemble it myself, but I like the peace of mind knowing it was assembled right everything is working correctly. And I really don't plan on upgrading anything unless it breaks. I appreciate your input.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    They come mostly assembled. Nothing a youtube video cant walk you though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    They come mostly assembled. Nothing a youtube video cant walk you though.
    Ya that's true, I watched a couple of videos on the topic. It doesn't seem very difficult. Either way I think would be fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hey Bud,

I was in the same boat as you about a year ago but with the Guardian vs. Goblin decision to make. I picked the Goblin and I would highly recommend it. That being said, I'm not as familiar with the Seeker's components. Either way, the goblin is a fantastic ride.

mtbr member
    Goblin if you can swing it...the fork alone is worth the extra coin...The Sram X7 stuff is like their(Sram) work horse group..nothing fancy or flashy but dependable and pretty durable..helmet and pedals like you said kinda of have to have them...a nice pair of riding gloves..full finger..hydration pack..multi tool..spare inner tube..a device to inflate the tube in the event you flat..last thing you want si to be walking out of the woods because of a flat..

Assembly really is pretty straight forward but I did where you are coming from..if you are not comfortable doing stuff like that yet piece of mind is a great thing to have when you start your adventure..a lot of things you will buy over time as you get into the sport..some things are just essential to have to get you out of the woods sans walking backing to the trail head..I usually carry the above items plus a chain tool and few spare links in the event I break a chain..not often but I have done it..

Good luck and congrats

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJaJa View Post
    Hey Bud,

I was in the same boat as you about a year ago but with the Guardian vs. Goblin decision to make. I picked the Goblin and I would highly recommend it. That being said, I'm not as familiar with the Seeker's components. Either way, the goblin is a fantastic ride.
    That's good to know, I have heard great things about the Goblin. Thanks for you input.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTx View Post
    Goblin if you can swing it...the fork alone is worth the extra coin...The Sram X7 stuff is like their(Sram) work horse group..nothing fancy or flashy but dependable and pretty durable..helmet and pedals like you said kinda of have to have them...a nice pair of riding gloves..full finger..hydration pack..multi tool..spare inner tube..a device to inflate the tube in the event you flat..last thing you want si to be walking out of the woods because of a flat..

Assembly really is pretty straight forward but I did where you are coming from..if you are not comfortable doing stuff like that yet piece of mind is a great thing to have when you start your adventure..a lot of things you will buy over time as you get into the sport..some things are just essential to have to get you out of the woods sans walking backing to the trail head..I usually carry the above items plus a chain tool and few spare links in the event I break a chain..not often but I have done it..

Good luck and congrats
    Thanks for the information. That's good to know about the fork, also I test road a bike (some Jamis hardtail) with SRAM X7 stuff, thought it shifted very nice, granted it was a parking lot where I got to ride it. Ya I can swing it, is the fork really that much better?

mtbr member
    Yeah it is...the Reba 29er fork is one of the best out there..usually spec'd out on bikes at a much higher price range...I had a Reba on one of my 26 hard tails..was one of the best forks I have used and the one on the Goblin is great...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fifty5fifty View Post
    Ya I can swing it, is the fork really that much better?
    The Recon Gold is around a half a pound heavier from what I can gather. Both are great shocks. The Reba is just a bit better and is usually at least $100 more.

The other thing is that the Goblin has lighter rims. The I19 Speeddisk wheelset is something like 300g lighter. With a lightweight tire, the Goblin can become fairly svelte. So the Goblin (from my perspective...I have one ) is also a great deal. Between the x7 components, the Avid 7 brakes, the rims and the shock, there is easily enough spec to justify the extra $$ and then some.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTx View Post
    Yeah it is...the Reba 29er fork is one of the best out there..usually spec'd out on bikes at a much higher price range...I had a Reba on one of my 26 hard tails..was one of the best forks I have used and the one on the Goblin is great...
    Wow, nice! That sounds like it's worth the extra money, like you said earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinMinn View Post
    The Recon Gold is around a half a pound heavier from what I can gather. Both are great shocks. The Reba is just a bit better and is usually at least $100 more.

The other thing is that the Goblin has lighter rims. The I19 Speeddisk wheelset is something like 300g lighter. With a lightweight tire, the Goblin can become fairly svelte. So the Goblin (from my perspective...I have one ) is also a great deal. Between the x7 components, the Avid 7 brakes, the rims and the shock, there is easily enough spec to justify the extra $$ and then some.
    Ya, I think your right about it being justified to spend the extra money. Sometimes bike companies offer a more expensive model and it doesn't really seem like your getting your moneys worth. In this case, after reading y'alls posts, I am leaning towards the Goblin. Sounds like a steal.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Ya, I think your right about it being justified to spend the extra money. Sometimes bike companies offer a more expensive model and it doesn't really seem like your getting your moneys worth. In this case, after reading y'alls posts, I am leaning towards the Goblin. Sounds like a steal.
    Absolute steal. You can't get the components on sale for what you get the whole bike for. Some guys who are building a frame they have will get an Airborne just to get the components on the cheap.

But that's true of the Seeker too. Amazing spec for the price.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Absolute steal. You can't get the components on sale for what you get the whole bike for.
    Haha, are you being serious? How can they afford to sell the bikes at such a low price?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Haha, are you being serious? How can they afford to sell the bikes at such a low price?
    I'm absolutely serious. I edited my post to expand the idea a bit. How they do it? I have no idea.

Try it sometime. If I try to build a Goblin part by part, I will spend several hundred more, and that's if most of the parts are deeply discounted.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm absolutely serious. I edited my post to expand the idea a bit. How they do it? I have no idea.

Try it sometime. If I try to build a Goblin part by part, I will spend several hundred more, and that's if most of the parts are deeply discounted.
    That is really interesting, especially about the people building a frame and buying an Airborne just for the components. Pretty cool stuff.

mtbr member

About to order Airborne Seeker, last minute advice.

I'm a big fan of both bikes. They're both a lot of bike for the money. If you can swing the Goblin I would get it and save some money other places. Assembly is easy and I'd find a less expensive helmet. That will save you $100 right there.

I have the Wellgo MG-1 pedals and I've been very happy with them. I had a Fox Flux helmet that was around $100 and I hated it. Really uncomfortable. I went to my local Specialized dealer and got a really comfortable helmet for $40.

mtbr member
    It's no real secret how we do it. We don't sell through shops so there's no extra mark-up in price for their cut. We keep our expenses low by working smart. And finally we charge what we think is a fair price that allows us to keep the lights on that doesn't gouge customers.

Jeremy
    Homebrewer, Patriot, Amateur Photographer

mtbr member
    With either bike you choose, you will not regret your decision to buy an Airborne. We all love our bikes, and the support is top-notch. Welcome to the family!
    Money doesn't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike, and that is pretty close.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm in this same predicament. I'm torn between the two. I do not plan on upgrading whichever one I choose so just can't decide. Please let us know which one you pick!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKreitzer View Post
    I'm a big fan of both bikes. They're both a lot of bike for the money. If you can swing the Goblin I would get it and save some money other places. Assembly is easy and I'd find a less expensive helmet. That will save you $100 right there.

I have the Wellgo MG-1 pedals and I've been very happy with them. I had a Fox Flux helmet that was around $100 and I hated it. Really uncomfortable. I went to my local Specialized dealer and got a really comfortable helmet for $40.
    Good point about saving money in other areas. I was also considering the Fox Flux helmet, peoples heads are different so who knows what helmet will fit mine best, I just have to try some different ones out. and Nice Bike!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    It's no real secret how we do it. We don't sell through shops so there's no extra mark-up in price for their cut. We keep our expenses low by working smart. And finally we charge what we think is a fair price that allows us to keep the lights on that doesn't gouge customers.

Jeremy
    That makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    With either bike you choose, you will not regret your decision to buy an Airborne. We all love our bikes, and the support is top-notch. Welcome to the family!
    Thank you for reassuring me with either decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiller15 View Post
    I'm in this same predicament. I'm torn between the two. I do not plan on upgrading whichever one I choose so just can't decide. Please let us know which one you pick!!
    I will keep you updated with what I end up choosing. As of right now I am leaning towards the Goblin, but that's not final yet. Like I said though, I will let y'all know what I end up ordering.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Get the most bike you can comfortably afford.

Same the $50 for assembly, put 100 or so miles on the bike, and spend that money on a tuneup instead. You'd need it whether the bike shop assembled the bike or not, since cables stretch and things wear in.

The most I could afford was a Seeker, so that's what I got. I do not regret my decision.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skyphix View Post
    Get the most bike you can comfortably afford.

Same the $50 for assembly, put 100 or so miles on the bike, and spend that money on a tuneup instead. You'd need it whether the bike shop assembled the bike or not, since cables stretch and things wear in.

The most I could afford was a Seeker, so that's what I got. I do not regret my decision.
    I think one of the coolest things about the Seeker is the paint and graphics. My Goblin's is nice but the Seeker's is nicer IMO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I will keep you updated with what I end up choosing. As of right now I am leaning towards the Goblin, but that's not final yet. Like I said though, I will let y'all know what I end up ordering.
    Also, at least let me know the size you decide on. I, too, and 6'2" 215lbs with a 34" inseam so would like to know the frame size you decide on.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I think one of the coolest things about the Seeker is the paint and graphics. My Goblin's is nice but the Seeker's is nicer IMO.
    I like the color of the Seeker as well. I only say, from a budgetary standpoint, to get the most bike you can afford because its cheaper than upgrading, unless you want to go a different direction.

Also, at least let me know the size you decide on. I, too, and 6'2" 215lbs with a 34" inseam so would like to know the frame size you decide on.
    I'm 6'2, 250-260, 33" inseem, and ride a 20" Seeker with a 90mm stem and 725 wide risers.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Provided that your arms aren't insanely long, I would probably say the 20inch frame-size would be the best fit for you.

Jeremy
    Homebrewer, Patriot, Amateur Photographer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast