Thread: 9mm thru axle?

mtbr member

9mm thru axle?

whats it take to convert my front hub on the Guardian?

paging big daddy!
    2012 Airborne Guardian.

Airborne Product Dude
    Unfortunately there's no parts available that I know of that will switch the stock hub out to a thru-axle set-up. You'll probably need to look to have a new hub laced in or a new wheelset, sorry!!!!
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    An unauthorized alternative is to drill out the 5mm caps to accept a 9mm thru-bolt like a RWS or an axle if you don't need to remove the wheel without tools. It will be more difficult as a built wheel because of the drill press clearance needed. A ZTR or 3.30 front hub has changeable caps. Laced to an Arch EX rim with Dt Super Comp spokes and you have an alternative without drilling that will also be noticeably lighter than stock.

mtbr member
    eb, whats that gonna cost me?
    2012 Airborne Guardian.

Airborne Product Dude
    If you want my honest opinion, the 9mm thru axle isn't worth all of that effort or expense to put on your bike. You'd be better off keeping what you have or moving up to a 15mm maxle set-up. That would make a noticable difference and be well worth the time/money/effort. Since you just got the new fork I'd say ride it as is with the standard QR. If you do look for a new wheelset, be certain to get something that has a front wheel that is convertible to 15mm thru axle (like Crossmaxs or Black Flags) for when/if you upgrade the fork again to something like a Reba or SID. That way you won't have to buy another wheelset later.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.