mtbr member

3rd trail ride on the Guardian.

planned to start our day at a trail called Betasso Preserve in Boulder. but unfortunately, we find that one cant ride this trail on Saturdays and Wednesday's. Damn!

the goal was to attempt to put in 3 laps, and maybe grind a forth @ 3 miles a piece.

well, my buddy steve and i went to Walker Ranch instead, lying to ourselves that we are capable of said trail. haha. rough! we actually had a meeting up issue. i started the trail ahead of him, and went left. DONT GO LEFT!!!! couple hours later, he went right.

this trail is beautiful! but OMG was i not ready for this!

The Guardian did well. still all stock except the saddle, my climbing limits were both physical, as well as my relearning technique. im getting better at not hitting my pedals! im still not a fan of descending on this bike as i am just not comfortable. i hope to alleviate this with my new fork and a stem change. also, these rotors are inadequate for my heft, but i also ordered a 203 setup for the front, and a 180 for the rear. all this aside, i do love this bike. Der's are ready for some more adjustments since the cables are stretching.

on to the pics

2012 Airborne Guardian.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Beautiful place!
    Wish there was a place like that to ride around here.

Glad to see you enjoying it.

mtbr member
    awesome. i want to ride mine but it's been raining here all week
    is that a 16" or 18"?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Great pictures!

Received my Guardian on Friday and took it to one of the local trails today.

Was very happy with it, had so much fun that i didn't have a chance to stop for action shots.
    Last edited by j7hompson; 09-16-2012 at 11:50 AM.

mtbr member
    swl7, 18". dont let the rain stop you. get some inexpensive rain gear and go ride!

J7, glad you liked it. i usually dont take pics either, hell i stopped to breath/rest so many times i should have 100+ pics! hard damn trail Walker was. your trail looks good. comparable to most of our front range trails, just a lower elevation so you have more oxygen to breathe!

OilburnerDE, not sure where you are, but your welcome to come ride hear anytime!
    2012 Airborne Guardian.

mtbr member
    Cant wait to get my fork on tomorrow, as long as it shows!
    2012 Airborne Guardian.

mtbr member
    Nice pics guys, keep em coming.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Great Pictures... don't ride those sb8's in the rain on pavement... ask me how i know...

MTB Fanatic
    Those Guardians are looking good! One thing I might suggest is to lower the stem 2 or 3 spacers. That really improved the handling on my Guardian. I thought the sluggishness was just me transitioning from 26er to 29er, but that adjustment brought back a lot of playfulness in the bike.
    Nathan

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Barheet View Post
    Those Guardians are looking good! One thing I might suggest is to lower the stem 2 or 3 spacers. That really improved the handling on my Guardian. I thought the sluggishness was just me transitioning from 26er to 29er, but that adjustment brought back a lot of playfulness in the bike.
    +1 i had the exact same experiance.

mtbr member
    good point, but in stock form, i would like to keep the spacers and have a slightly higher rise and shorter stem to put me more upright. but thats just my comfort preference. we'll see what happens after i get the 100mm fork on.
    2012 Airborne Guardian.

MTB Fanatic
    If you're upgrading to a 100mm fork, that should raise the bike up so you don't get as many pedal strikes. I have been struggling with my pedal strikes on the really technical trails to the point that I'm looking at some much nicer, thinner pedals to help with that. Also, bottom bracket height is something I'm really going to analyze before I purchase another bike. Yes, part of it is technique, but it would be great to be able to pedal while going around corners for once.

If nothing else, my experience with the Guardian is teaching me exactly what I want out of my next bike and/or upgrades on this bike.
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Can you walk a noob through doing this?

mtbr member
    comp, yours came with the stem above 3 spacers on the steerer. you just loosen the stem, pull it off, pull the number of spacers you want, put the stem back on, install removed spacers. tighten.

oh, the top cap has to be removed also. the bolt is under the rubber tip. caution, this will allow your fork to slide out.
    2012 Airborne Guardian.

Airborne Product Dude
    If you're upgrading to a 100mm fork, that should raise the bike up so you don't get as many pedal strikes. I have been struggling with my pedal strikes on the really technical trails to the point that I'm looking at some much nicer, thinner pedals to help with that. Also, bottom bracket height is something I'm really going to analyze before I purchase another bike. Yes, part of it is technique, but it would be great to be able to pedal while going around corners for once.

If nothing else, my experience with the Guardian is teaching me exactly what I want out of my next bike and/or upgrades on this bike.
    The BB height on the Guardian is right inline with the BB height range for most 29er hardtails and most 26" hardtails. It's exactly the same as the Stumpjumper 29er.
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    The BB height on the Guardian is right inline with the BB height range for most 29er hardtails and most 26" hardtails. It's exactly the same as the Stumpjumper 29er.
    I'm also looking to put a 100mm fork on my Guardian. Are there any drawbacks to going 80mm to 100mm on this bike?

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by josh27292 View Post
    I'm also looking to put a 100mm fork on my Guardian. Are there any drawbacks to going 80mm to 100mm on this bike?
    No problem, lots of guys have made this change to their green Goblins by taking spacers out of their Reba forks to make them 100mm. The Guardian is the same frame as the green Goblins.
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I was struggling with pedal strike for a time as well. I found switching to a 100mm travel helped a little. Mostly it just took me some time to figure out how to ride the bike so that I didn't have that issue any more. Good luck and have fun!!
    tankpro.org
    IMBA National Mountain Bike Patrol
    southernkettles.org

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Rode the guardian about 11 miles at a local trail system called Balm Boyette. It performed great - there's a long fire road to get out to the trail system where the front fork lockout came in very handy.