mtbr member
    Jul 2013

30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee

Has anyone taken advantage of the "30-Day Satisfaction Guarantee" Airborne promotes on their bikes? The Goblin I bought is a great value, but just doesn't work for me - too old of a back and too many years riding full-suspension bikes.

I sent an e-mail to Airborne asking about returning the bike and now their telling me there with be an unspecified "restocking fee". They can't even tell me how much the fee will be, but claim that full refunds are rarely given on ridden bikes, so I'm just trying to get an idea of what other people have been charged. I can see holding the customer responsible for damages and I was expecting to pay shipping, but wear and tear charges don't seem to fit in a "Satisfaction Guarantee".

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Most bike shops that I know of won't take a bike back. The ones that do will always charge some sort of fee no matter how lightly the bike was ridden.

Now Airborne isn't a bike shop but there will still be some cost involved for Airborne to take your bike back, I don't think it is unfair for them to ask to be compensated for that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Their profit margin is pretty small on the goblin that's why they like to ensure the customer will be happy with the size etc. They would probably lose money if they didn't charge some sort of wear and tear fee.

Seems like you should've gone with the hobgoblin.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Once ridden, the bike cant be sold as new.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The major disadvantage to buying a bike online is not being able to give it a test ride. Airborne answers that concern by offering a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. They make no mention of a restocking fee on their site - just a damage deduction. If they hadn't offered that guarantee, I wouldn't have purchased the bike. If they called out a 10% restocking fee, I wouldn't of had a problem. I was expecting to pay the return shipping, but not a restocking fee. I deal with customer service claims for a living, so maybe I'm a bit overly sensitive, but not decent attorney should ever have written on off the policy as-is. "Satisfaction guaranteed" means "satisfaction guaranteed.". (And I am in no way threatening to sue or suggesting anyone else should sue - like I said, I deal with this for a living, so it's reflex to think along legal lines). Hell, if they quote me too high of a price to return the bike, I'll just keep it for spare parts. I'm just disappointed in the customer service and communication.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    What size is it? I may be interested...

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Seph View Post
    Has anyone taken advantage of the "30-Day Satisfaction Guarantee" Airborne promotes on their bikes? The Goblin I bought is a great value, but just doesn't work for me - too old of a back and too many years riding full-suspension bikes.

I sent an e-mail to Airborne asking about returning the bike and now their telling me there with be an unspecified "restocking fee". They can't even tell me how much the fee will be, but claim that full refunds are rarely given on ridden bikes, so I'm just trying to get an idea of what other people have been charged. I can see holding the customer responsible for damages and I was expecting to pay shipping, but wear and tear charges don't seem to fit in a "Satisfaction Guarantee".
    It clearly states in the policy that deductions may be taken for wear and tear, damages, and improper packing.

We can't fairly tell you that amount until we inspect it.

If that doesnt make sense or is somehow bad communication, I apologize.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    It clearly states in the policy that deductions may be taken for wear and tear, damages, and improper packing.

We can't fairly tell you that amount until we inspect it.

If that doesnt make sense or is somehow bad communication, I apologize.

Jeremy
    From your FAQ page:
    FAQ
    FAQ

QUESTION: How do I know I'll be happy with my Airborne purchase? Do you offer a guarantee?

Answer: Yes. We offer a 30-Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee, subject to certain conditions. Here's the complete text:

Airborne Bicycles Satisfaction Guarantee

We offer a 30-day 100% satisfaction guarantee on all Airborne bikes purchased directly from us (Airborne Bicycles). If for any reason you are not happy with your purchase, you may return it within 30 days, subject to our Terms and Conditions (below).
    Then 4 paragraphs down:
    Bikes must be returned in new condition in original packaging. Deductions may be taken for wear and tear from use, damages from misuse, or improper return packing.

Shipping charges are not subject to refund.

My bad - I missed that one. I might argue that it could have been arranged more clearly, but it's there.

OTOH, it does mean that I'm less likely to repeat the experiment in the future. Having a good price on a good product doesn't do a customer much good if they can't even throw a leg over the bike to see if it fits. This is the 1st bike I've ever had to return and I would have know after a 5 minute ride around the parking lot that I might be more comfortable in a different size. Eating the shipping charges to return the bike is bad enough, but expected. Unknowable "wear and tear" charges after a 6 mile ride, on top of the shipping charges, kind of eats into the savings on a mail order bike. Heck, I'd be happier with language along the lines of "a 5% restocking fee + any damages."

In any case, the bike is in the box and on the way back. No hard feelings - I just wanted an idea of how much people were being charged.

Airborne Product Dude
    From your FAQ page:

Then 4 paragraphs down:

My bad - I missed that one. I might argue that it could have been arranged more clearly, but it's there.

OTOH, it does mean that I'm less likely to repeat the experiment in the future. Having a good price on a good product doesn't do a customer much good if they can't even throw a leg over the bike to see if it fits. This is the 1st bike I've ever had to return and I would have know after a 5 minute ride around the parking lot that I might be more comfortable in a different size. Eating the shipping charges to return the bike is bad enough, but expected. Unknowable "wear and tear" charges after a 6 mile ride, on top of the shipping charges, kind of eats into the savings on a mail order bike. Heck, I'd be happier with language along the lines of "a 5% restocking fee + any damages."

In any case, the bike is in the box and on the way back. No hard feelings - I just wanted an idea of how much people were being charged.
    No worries.

Look, it could be less than "5% restocking fee + any damages". We are very honest folks and the last thing we want to do is treat anyone unfairly. I don't know how much more fair we can be. If the bike doesn't have any wear and is packaged correctly and makes it back here in the same condition, its likely we won't charge much $$ at all. I think the wrong thing to do here is have a blanket policy whereby we charge more than we should.

Is it a size thing or a problem with the hardtail frame? Because if it is a size issue, we can work to get you onto another size.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    No worries.

Look, it could be less than "5% restocking fee + any damages". We are very honest folks and the last thing we want to do is treat anyone unfairly. I don't know how much more fair we can be. If the bike doesn't have any wear and is packaged correctly and makes it back here in the same condition, its likely we won't charge much $$ at all. I think the wrong thing to do here is have a blanket policy whereby we charge more than we should.

Is it a size thing or a problem with the hardtail frame? Because if it is a size issue, we can work to get you onto another size.

Jeremy
    The size is a big part of it. I'm 6'1", 32" inseam and the large frame is just a bit too big. I though about trying a medium, but I can't see paying multiple shipping charges at $75 a pop to get a different size.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I do see the point. Airborne should be more upfront. The fact that the policy starts with "100% satisfaction guaranteed" but then immediately follows it with "see below" and then repeats "see below" until finally mentioning charges at the very end of the policy is a little sketchy. Yes, I understand regular bike shops have a similar policy but Airborne is strictly mail order. A potential customer cannot take a test ride. So 100% satisfaction GUARANTEED to someone like me would mean if I order it and it doesn't fit well or feel right, I can return it and get 100% of my money back.

Resident Gear Head
    Seems like they point out the guarantee pretty clearly. You take a risk when buying online.
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The size is a big part of it. I'm 6'1", 32" inseam and the large frame is just a bit too big. I though about trying a medium, but I can't see paying multiple shipping charges at $75 a pop to get a different size.
    Did you order a 20? I am similar measurements as you and a 20 was recommended. I am wondering if the stand over will be tight? But will an 18 be too tight in the cockpit?
    K

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by konadoc View Post
    Did you order a 20? I am similar measurements as you and a 20 was recommended. I am wondering if the stand over will be tight? But will an 18 be too tight in the cockpit?
    K
    Yup, ordered the 20. With a 32" inseam, I had maybe 1" of stand over clearance. I didn't try the 18, so I'm not sure if that would be a better fit. I normally ride a large Santa Cruz, but they run a tighter cockpit.

mtbr member
    I'm about the same inseam but 6'. I went medium and it's a good fit. I previously had a large (20") Diamondback that was WAY too large so I knew going in I needed a medium. Did you ask before purchase what size would work? When buying online, I would every time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hrbib21 View Post
    I'm about the same inseam but 6'. I went medium and it's a good fit. I previously had a large (20") Diamondback that was WAY too large so I knew going in I needed a medium. Did you ask before purchase what size would work? When buying online, I would every time.
    From the Airborne site:
    General Sizing Range
    16" = 5'2" to 5'7"
    18" = 5'7" to 5'11"
    20" = 5'11" to 6'2"
    22" = 6'2" to 6'5"
    The sizing on just about every manufacturer's bike will vary, so I used their size chart. Probably should have gone with the 18" - my other hardtails have generally been 18.5" or 19".

mtbr member
    As you know, every bike manufacturer is different and everybody is different. I shot them an email with my stats and they were dead on accurate in their response. I covered every base I could because, like most, I typically prefer to try out something like a bike in person and obviously couldn't in this case.

I can tell you that Airborne is very easy to work with so I'm sure they'll handle your situation fairly.

mtbr member

Re: 30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee

Being my next 29er purchase will most likely be an airborne I can tell you the cheating method to get a really good close idea for your fit.

Figure out what brands are carried in shops near you. Trek, cannondale, giant, etc. This works well when only 1 or 2 brands are available near you but your looking at a brand that isn't so you have to drive a long way or order it in. Brands that full geometry specs are right on their websites. Go test ride a couple but make notes of each bike and each size you ride. Note how each one felt in cockpit, how standover felt etc.

Next determine which bikes on that list you felt most comfortable on.

Full up full specs on those bikes. You'll get all measurements you need for top tube length, stem fitted, standover, etc.

Now you have a reference point. Example: Trek 19" frame and specialized 18" frame fit you best. So use the measurements from the bike info on the websites to give you the numbers you need to match up to the bike you have to either drive 2 hrs to go get or have shipped in.

It's not a perfect science but it'll get u to where at most you have to change a stem to a hair longer or shorter to get a bike fit.

Now this doesn't work obviously for how the bike handles each trail section but it gets you a bike you know will fit you.

I have access locally to trek and cannondale only so any other brand is a drive or order blind, so i came up with this method so I could order the airborne I want or any other bike I could decide I want more (to many choices lol) and have the right frame size for me at least. Downside to living in the cornfields of the Midwest

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Put the Goblin up on Craigslist. You will probably get most of your money back. I'm sure there are riders in your area that would love to check the Goblin out in person before buying.

Airborne Product Dude

I want to post here and close the loop on this.

We received Seph's bike and it was in good shape. We are in the process of refunding the full amount less the oringal shipping charge.

Thanks,

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    THAT is good customer service. Didn't HAVE to do that, but you guys rock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Actually, because of this thread, I think they sort of had to. Good business sense dictates it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiZ View Post
    Actually, because of this thread, I think they sort of had to. Good business sense dictates it
    No, they didn't have to. They have a specific posted policy and could've easily followed it without repercussion.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Wow- pretty great stuff!

mtbr member

Re: 30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee

Damn that's how airborne works, better than what I've seen at a lbs. One little scuff or anything and ur up a creek.

Just increases my desire to get an airborne for my next bike!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!