Airborne Product Dude

15mm Through Axle adapters?

With all of the X0-level bikes we have been selling lately, we get questions from customers who have never had a 15mm thru axle before and wonder how they are going to get them to fit on their roof rack.

Rather than continue to direct them to Yakima or Thule, we were thinking about adding the Hurricane Components 15mm adapters to our website for ease of simply adding it to their order at the time of check out. We are also thinking of adding the 20mm adapters when the Toxin and other gravity offerings come in later this year.

Hurricane Components

What do you guys think? Do you like this idea of added convenience?

To further this, we are also looking at adding higher end wheelsets to our website also from a well-known wheel company. The idea being that someone buying a Goblin, for example, might want to pick up their nice race wheels at the same time and keep their stock wheels for training.

Any thoughts or input is welcome, thanks~

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    I think its a great idea! I called you yesterday asking about the adapter and a thumbs up on the rim set idea

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Jeremy,

I like both ideas posted here. I have been thinking that when I pull the trigger, I will probably try and find an upgraded wheelset too. Will these be Black Flag Pros or another brand?

Keith

Airborne Product Dude
    Hey Keith, we are looking at a couple of different manufacturers, Sun-Ringle being one of them.

Are there any other add-on or upgrade items folks would like to see us look into?

Thanks,

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I also think it's a good idea. I'm sure a lot of people would rather order something through Airborne knowing it's absolutely going to work well with their Airborne bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Obviously, wheels are one of the most popular upgrades but possibly bars, stems, saddles, seatposts, brakes. If people are interested in upgrading to lighten their bikes, titanium bolt kits might be another area to consider...hope this is useful.

Keith

mtbr member

15mm Through Axle adapters?

I wouldn't do anything as far as contact points like grips, pedals, or seats. Too personal.

What was the first thing you guys bought to change your bike? For me it was:

1) wheelset
    2) bars
    3) stem

In that order.

mtbr member
    Sorry if this is a little off topic, but I can't start a thread yet.

Does anyone know anything about the hubs on the skyhawk? Is there a way to switch them to 15mm?
    Sorry for my noobness just learning alot of this stuff.
    I have a buddy willing to all but give me a pretty decent upgrade fork, but I can't really afford new wheels right now.
    Thanks for any guidance anyone can provide.

Really loving the bike also.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hey, BDF, how about a tubeless conversion kit? And some Airborne schwag, too!

Airborne Product Dude
    Thanks for the input so far! We are definitely working on Airborne branded clothing, we've been prodding our graphics guy to get done so we can order them! Thanks for bearing with us on that~

The hubs on the Skyhawk, like most 9mm axle hubs, cannot be converted to 15mm thru-axle. There are a few speciality hubs/wheelsets that do convert, but they have to have been designed that way from the start with the conversion in mind. For example a lot of Sun-Ringle, Mavic, SRAM, etc higher end hubs are this way.

Thanks,

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Excellent idea. Especially for the wheel set.

mtbr member
    I think adding the adapters is a good call. You may also want to remind/suggest folks get a 2nd rear wheel strap from their rack manufacturer ( or use a bungee). Without 2 points of contact on the rear wheel, sometimes the adapter rotates.

Glad to see you had rebuild kits for the hobgoblin, that kind of stuff is a big + in my book.

Regards to wheel upgrades, interesting idea. For me personally unless they were a really good deal, I'd probably pass.

For other items, maybe offer upgrade in controls, or in the suspension(front or rear). Maybe a couple different tire offerings?

I like the frame only options also.