Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

20% off at Nashbar

9K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  V8Interceptor 
#1 · (Edited)
Nashbar 650 B Single Speed

I bought a Nashbar Bees Knees 650B XL. I'm thrilled!

https://media.nashbar.com/images/nashbar/products/1500/NB-SS650-NCL-SIDE.jpg

Since Christmas is here soon, and upgrades are probably needed initially, what would you guys recommend?

I was thinking the BB5's had to go first for a set of bb7s or hydros. I've never had hydros and was thinking about which ones I would get.

The other thing would be going Stan's kit for tubeless...also Carbon fork? Can you all spend my Christmas $$ for me?

#2 ·
16 Tooth in the back...

I'm thinking this might be a little too intense for a SS newbie. I won't let it discourage me initially but I may be looking at a different cog.

Posting pics when it arrives!

#3 ·
Cool looking bike, here's what I see as immediate upgrades
-replace the front chainring with a 32t
-replace the rear cog with a 20t (or 18t if your ride flatter terrain)
-replace brakes with BB7's

#9 ·
No pun taken.

I actually had a debate about whether to run them this way, which is more of a backsweep, and the way they came, instead of running them up, like I used to. I may be adjusting after some riding, but I also like the back sweep.

Handlebars, saddle and seatpost will probably all be upgrades this Christmas.

I'm not sure how I feel about the egg beaters. I had a difficult time disengaging compared to my SPD pedals.

#10 ·
First time SS and First ride on the Bees Knees

:)

First Impressions:

It was awesome. No, literally, so fun. Everyone talks about the solitude or quiet nature of the single speed and I realized that today. If there weren't 1,000 leaves, I would have been silent.

This is a very unique ride for my area. Rigid: I love it. I can climb without worry whether I remembered to lock out and I can just crank on and on. Single Speed: I rocked the original setup on the bike 38x16. Now, I live in the foothills of the WNC & SC mountains, but I was able to climb everything because I did a short ride and stopped to adjust different things. I flipped the Handlebars to their correct position mid-ride (I don't know why I set them up that way) and I am still messing with Saddle positioning. I'm also riding CB egg-beaters and that has been a learning curve I haven't mastered. I may go back to the SPD system, but only time will tell. The 27.5 wheels: It feels like a 26" ride beneath me. I really enjoyed the snappy nature and the ease of bunny hopping after being on a 29" bike exclusively for 9 months. The Nevegals 2.1" really, really hook up. I was rocking WTB Exiwolfs 2.35" on the last ride and they rolled great, but sliding on leaves and in sand was the main cause of my wrecking.

I like the bike. Weakness: BB5's, oh well. I'm excited to take it out with some buddies to see how my skills really match up.I'm going to change to the raceface 32T chainring I ordered and take it on some more climbing sections for the next ride. I have a 20T cog I can throw on for the excursions to Dupont and Pisgah, but in my life, those are rare ocassions.

Weight came in at 27.2 lbs with pedals. Not terrible, not great. It is all stock with Nevegals. I'm 190 lbs so...who cares!

I'd like some wider handlebars (maybe a different material) and possibly a new seatpost. Any recommendations would be helpful!

Some dustier pictures to come!

#11 ·
:)

I'd like some wider handlebars (maybe a different material) and possibly a new seatpost. Any recommendations would be helpful!
What kind of sweep do you like in the handlebars?

Are you looking for light weight or compliance in the handlebars and seatpost?

#13 · (Edited)
I wish that I knew what sweep I liked. I have used easton monkey lites that were ok, i have used the stock FSA that were on my c-dale and I didn't like them much.

I really am looking for handling and compliance with the handle bars, and compliance with the seatpost. Weight is secondary for me. I'm not racing (yet!)

Thanks!

#16 ·
I wish that I knew what sweep I liked. I have used easton monkey lites that were ok, i have used the stock FSA that were on my c-dale and I didn't like them much.

I really am looking for handling and compliance with the handle bars, and compliance with the seatpost. Weight is secondary for me. I'm not racing (yet!)

Thanks!
Well Ti bars and seatposts give great compliance but are $$expensive$$ and not really light.

Carbon bars are pretty good for compliance and not as expensive as Ti along with being quite light. I have not had luck with Carbon seatposts on hardtails, I've cracked two of them, one a 27.2 and one a 31.6 so it's not just the diameter. Both broke after a couple years so replacing annually would be a solution if it weren't for the expense.

On a full rigid I've found the Alt Bars with greater sweep to help as much as anything. Not compliant but they put your hands, wrists, and elbows in a more comfortable position that causes less fatigue IME.

#17 ·
three rides now

:D

Definite change will be bars.

OK so I've put the 32T ring on and I didn't walk anything at south side I croft state park with 16 cog. I think I may have removed too many links to switch and rock the 18 to 20T for Dupont or Pisgah. Can I add links back to the chain? It is a kmc z410. Anyway, here are some post ride pics at the house and trail head.

I'm rough on equipment so we shall see how she holds up.

Beer yeti rides a SS.

Attachments

#20 ·
:D

Definite change will be bars.

OK so I've put the 32T ring on and I didn't walk anything at south side I croft state park with 16 cog. I think I may have removed too many links to switch and rock the 18 to 20T for Dupont or Pisgah. Can I add links back to the chain? It is a kmc z410. Anyway, here are some post ride pics at the house and trail head.

I'm rough on equipment so we shall see how she holds up.

Beer yeti rides a SS.
As said, yes on chain. Looks like fun trail and nice bike thanks for the pics and keep us updated.

#21 ·
Nice looking bike! I see you got the XL frame size..how tall are you? Inseam? I'm 6-2 and wondering if L or XL would work. I had a Dawes Deadeye in 19", but sold it as I felt just too cramped and prefer to be stretched out more. Thanks and post how you like it so far.

#23 ·
I still like it. Shoud say, love it. I'm much faster than I anticipated being on a SS Rigid. I'm a hair under 6'2" and it fits nicely. I'm a stretched out rider, and this is close. I'm probably going to some wide flat handlebars soon to stretch it even more. I'm headed out today after a little time off due to weather and schedule. We'll see if I'm POOT (passed out on trail) or still in shape. Probably former...

#22 ·
Can you post a good closeup of the drive side dropout?
Does the disc brake have to be adjusted every time you swap gears? While the inside chainstay location is usually nice for a caliper (9 o'clock) it looks like this may be positioned so that the disc moves farther away or closer depending on gear used. When the caliper is positioned at 12 o'clock this difference is less drastic.

What is the axle to crown length on that fork? I'd think a CF fork would be a nice upgrade to drop a few lb and gain some flex.

I'm seriously thinking of this bike, not sure how it stacks up against others.

#24 ·
I'm sure that it has to be adjusted. I can take a pic and post it up later, but it is a straight back horizontal DO. I've adjusted the brake and even spaced it differently to get it set right because I dropped to the 32T in the front. I don't know the axle to crown length...but I will try to find out when I get back home too. CF fork would do the trick I'm sure, I don't have the coin.

#25 ·
Interesting. I'd love to see closeup pics as I'm near pulling the trigger. The dropouts looks HUGE, like there's a ton of metal that isn't necessary or something.

(flamesuit on) I'd wager a little garage welding could add a RD hanger to that dropout to add 1x9 versatility. (which I can get on many 29er options easily)

#32 ·
One Year

We are coming up on one year together...the relationship is strong.

I broke the left egg beater yesterday...I'm overdue for an upgrade.

BB7s still rockin'

It needs new grips like 50 rides ago...

I'm 25 lbs heavier (thanks Starting Strength) and it seems like I am a little slower than when I started. I still love the climbing.

Attachments

#33 ·
Great to hear! Don't know about that seat angle though

We are coming up on one year together...the relationship is strong.

I broke the left egg beater yesterday...I'm overdue for an upgrade.

BB7s still rockin'

It needs new grips like 50 rides ago...

I'm 25 lbs heavier (thanks Starting Strength) and it seems like I am a little slower than when I started. I still love the climbing.

#35 ·
This bike rides like it was custom made for my body type and the local trails. I'm just under 6' and got the large. I have 32/20 gearing, a Thompson post, Terry Buzz Off, front hydro Deore, and a slightly wider bar. Almost perfect.

View attachment 885246 View attachment 885247 View attachment 885248 View attachment 885249 View attachment 885250
Still enjoying your Bee's Knees? I was tossing around the idea of buying a modern day klunker, but this bike intrigues me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.