mtbr member
    Aug 2012

ZTR Crest+DT Swiss 240s or Mavix Crossmax SLR. FAST HELP PLEASE!

Hey guys!

Im having a really big trouble selecting a wheelset.
    I have got 2 really good offers, and i really need your help deciding.
    First wheelset is Mavic Crossmax SLR. Coming with FF 2.10 tires and BBB brake discs, for 440€. Weighing in at 1640g. They have been ridden for 1 season.
    Second wheelset is custom built. ZTR Crest wheels on DT Swiss 240s hubs and DT Swiss Aerolite spokes. Price for them is 425€. Weighing in at 1480g. Have been ridden for 1000km.

The wheelset will be my primary wheelset, for riding and racing XC. Im a fairly light guy (62kg) so they lighter weight of ZTR is not an problem.

Does anyone have experience with those wheelset? Or why one is better then the other? Any thought are very welcomed!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I like the star ratchets and quality of DT. You may need to get the upgrade 36T ratchets if they aren't included. Make sure the front is 15mm if you need that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I would go with the crests. Especially at 62kg which on my conversion says 137 pounds......damn.

I like my crests, but I am at 175 pounds and they feel a little noodly under my weight. I also have the 240s hubs on another set of wheels and they are very nice hubs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    I like the star ratchets and quality of DT. You may need to get the upgrade 36T ratchets if they aren't included. Make sure the front is 15mm if you need that.
    They arent included, and i dont know if i would want to spend even more money on 2 metal pieces. For me those wheels are even a big bang for the wallet.

I am mostly worried abot the weight. Do i feel the 160g difference in wheels?
    My gut is really pulling me towards the Mavics. The just are so bling looking, and their hubs are so crisp, with only 7° engagement point, against DTs 20°!!!
    If anyone would tell me that Mavics hubs are easy to service, and dont need much money and spare parts often, i would take them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The DT freehub pops off without tools and can be easily cleaned and greased. Crests are 21mm internal and the Mavs are 19. Proprietary spokes for Mavic mean you should buy some ahead of time. Probably should do the same for the Aerolites. And nipples for both.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks!
    Now i read about the DTs engagement point. People say in reviews that 20° is too much of lagg for technical xc riding (exactly what i do) and upgrading too 36t ratchet (extra 65€) is making the ratchet more prone to braking. And also the 36t need more serving, yes even thought its easy.
    But no-one mentions how often and how hard it is to service a mavic hub.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I build my wheels and ride with those 36T ratchets. The engagement is better and using Campy or DT grease I have not had any problems. Previous to these wheels I blew out the pawls in another proprietary wheelset. I wouldn't use another hub. My wheelset uses the ArchEx rim. This is the same dimension as the Crests with extra internal bracing and a bit more weight. Next build will be some rims with a 29mm internal width with DT rear hub. Light Bicycles rims are 420g each, hookless carbon and do out by the end of the month.

SRAM...Shimano who cares?
    Dec 2011
    There is a 54t in the works for that DT hub if I'm not mistaken?

My current set is Crest 240s easy to work with...I can rebuild them (lace, lube, etc) in the evening and be back on the trail the next day.

It has been my experience to send Mavic wheels in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    So... the conclusion is ZTR+DTs right? And thats because their reliability, easy to work on and better value? Yes, and of course the weight.
    But the DTs ratchet are pretty damn expensive, like 65€ for 2 machined aluminium pieces. Isnt there a place to find them cheaper?

mtbr member
    The SLR's are likely too much wheel for you. I'm 205 geared up and I use them but if I weighed the same as a moth, I would go lighter....

Fat-tired Roadie
    System wheels suck. ZTRs with DTs. And they're cheaper! Bonus....

If money is an issue, throw your current set on a scale just as a point of comparison.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J_R_A View Post
    There is a 54t in the works for that DT hub if I'm not mistaken?
    Bontrager x DT Swiss Rapid Drive 54-Tooth Star Ratchet Spooling Up

It says in the article that you should be able to just go to a Trek dealer and buy a 54 tooth ratchet soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    System wheels suck. ZTRs with DTs. And they're cheaper! Bonus....

If money is an issue, throw your current set on a scale just as a point of comparison.
    My current set is 2.1kg, and i know i need to go lighter. I can really feel them slowing me down.
    And with that, i have made a decision, its 99% sure im going with ZTR/DT combo.
    Huge thanks to all answers, you really helped me!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The DT ratchets are steel, not aluminium. I'm also not sure if they're forged or machine, but they are certainly heat treated. You don't really wanna cheap out on the little pieces of metal that transfer all your power. At the very least, you'll have your 18 tooth set as a backup in case your 36 set gets worn and starts slipping. Some people will swear that DT hubs never slip, but my boss's 240S started slipping one time, even though the ratchets looked fine. We replaced the ratchets (quite easy) and it was fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The 36T ratchets are selling for $75/pr in the US. DT raised the price from 36 to 90 list earlier this year.
    The Trek price on the 54T ratchet is $60 each before any discount, so $120/pr. #436413

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Regardless of the upgrade the DT 240 hubs are incredible: Light, easily rebuildable, and quiet. I have hammered two wheel sets for years with zero problems.

That said, the Mavic SLR are very stiff and light. I am betting the hubs are not going to give you the life of a DT 240.

A tough call. I would go DT 240 just because of the durability and flexibility of being able to use any rim you choose.

Warrior's Society
    Go with the DT/Crests. The hubs will last forever. Easy maint. light weight. Only time I have had mine skip is when the grease was too thick and too much.

The 36pt ratchets had issues when they first came out. Lots of people broke them....my wide and I did on both of ours. However a year or 2 ago they changed the material they were using....no longer an issue.

Mavic has long had a bad reputation for having fragile freehubs. Maybe they are better these days.....but for the money it's hard to beat the 240s.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Wow, thanks guys, so many good posts! Im am now definetaly going with DT/Ztr combo, better yet, i think i will buy them tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'm hoping one of you knowledgable riders can answer a simple question: since I can't really afford to replace both my wheels at this time, can I run a carbon wheel on the front of my Ripley, with the Stan's Arch on the rear? I'm concerned the handling may be squirrelly with carbon up front and aluminum in the rear. Thanks to all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

ZTR Crest+DT Swiss 240s or Mavix Crossmax SLR. FAST HELP PLEASE!

I hate to say it but I have been riding for 27 years now and POE is way too much of a concern for 98% of people. The only time I notice it is when I am spun out, and that happens very infrequently on my mountain bike, especially if geared. When I am spun out on my singlespeed I generally don't want to go any faster. The only time I ever seem to care is if I am riding trials and that just doesn't happen to often anymore.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Can anyone give me advice on whether or not I can run a carbon hoop (EVNE) on the front of my Ripley, with the aluminum Stan's Arch on the rear? Why, you ask?! I had a warranty issue on the SpeedTuned hub that came on my Ripley. After multiple repairs and replacing it once, the dealer agreed to replace the hub, at their cost, with the DT Swiss 240 (my choice). So now I'm running a Stan's Arch/DT240 on the rear, and I want to get rid of the POS SpeedTuned hub on the front. So, I'm thinking why not do it right and get a carbon wheel build on the front. I'm a bit concerned the front and rear may feel way too different (no flex/flex). Thoughts? I hope to put a carbon hoop on the rear next year. Thanks!

Fat-tired Roadie
    Why wouldn't you be able to?

The front and rear of your bike already feel different. This is going to be less different than riding a bike with front suspension only, which people have been doing for ages.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Touché! I'll order it tomorrow; thanks!