mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Idea! Your thoughts and opinions, please.

Here's the scoop: I've got a nice bike that I love, ride very well and am 99% happy with. I'm not a weight weenie. That said, there are a couple of things about my bike that I'd like to change if I could, without breaking the bank. The issue is the rear just feels flat out heavy. Not awkward, but not exactly 'flickable' either. I'm thinking of trying to lighten it up a bit....but I don't want to sacrifice the durability. For instance, I don't want to reduce weight with a racing type tire just to tear it to shreds...and they don't fit my needs really anyway.

Current setup:
    2013 Cannondale Trigger 29er 2. 2x10 w/ SRAM 11-36 1030 cassette(370g by searching, not an easy number to find and I haven't pulled it to weigh it). Schwalbe Hans Dampfs 2.35 Pace Star(850g). X9 rear der. WTB i23 rims, Formula hub. All is stock. Oh, and I'm running tubeless.

Rides:
    Most of what I ride is XC with some small drops(12-18" at most), a log here and there, some small, smooth jumps, no drops to flat, typical east coast rocks....some pretty chunky trails with lots of those small drops and lots of rocks/roots.

I was considering upping the cassette spec to drop the weight, but to be fair, any real weight savings isn't going to be remotely cheap. I can save some rotational weight with a new tire, but I don't really want to go too light as I ride some fairly chunky stuff often enough that I'd be uncomfortable on a thin-walled tire....and I'm a super clyde at 290 geared up!

For a tire I was considering a Nobby Nic Pace Star, Snakeskin 2.25(650g). Cassette upgrade to a $$$ xg-1099(208g) $$$.

I also need some new pedals and can save some overall weight there, but that's really not where I want/need to lose weight and I'm happy with Shimano's stuff....my first clipless pedals lasted 4 years and they're just not worth rebuilding (m520's). I'll probably get a set of M540's or XT's. I'm looking at Xpedo M-Force pedals too, but can't find a whole lot of experiences with them. There's some, but not a whole lot. They seem like a deal and don't weigh as much as the Shimano stuff but I've beat the crap of my 520's for four years....

Any and all input is appreciated! Thanks!

....off to the trails for the weekend!

mtbr member
    Wheelset and tires. That wheelset is heavy. I have Nobby Nic Evos and they are amazing and light!

Also, grips like ESI Chunky can drop more weight than you would think and they are cheap.

You could also go to a 1x10 setup. You drop the front Der, shifter, cable, and a chainring, but add a chainguide.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks for your input. I've already got the stock lock-ons about worn out as it is. I've run Chunky's in the past and really like them aside from the durability. I'll probably put a set on this over the winter.

mtbr member
    I'd second the thought of looking at a better wheel set. You can get a lighter wheel set without sacrificing durability.

But, as far as the back end being heavy feeling, have you messed with your shock settings? Specifically, I'm thinking, rebound damping if you have it. Compression damping if you don't. I was playing with some damping adjustments on my bike to solve some issues with the back end launching over some rollers ( I mean threatening to throw the whole works out the front door, launching ) and ended up with a setting that made the whole back of the bike feel more lively, without compromising handling or feel, and it quit trying to do front flips off the rollers, all at the same time. So, it could be a super cheap fix, then you spend the money you saved on whatever you want.

mtbr member
    Better wheelset is the one upgrade you'll notice right way.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member

Re: Your thoughts and opinions, please.

Tires and wheelset. At your weight, you'd need something really sturdy like stans flows. And hd's are way overkill for the conditions you describe, you should be able to save 200g per tire by switching

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to look into a new wheel set but that won't be happening until winter. My riding season is winding down fast so I don't HAVE to do anything right away anyway. I have a good wheelbuilder(friend and LBS owner)....I'll talk to him and see what we can do. I might lighten up the tires too. I really like those HD's though. They are heavyish, but my God do they hook up. That upgrade will come when I wear them out though.

In regards to the shock settings: I think I have it pretty dialed in. I've played with the rebound a bit and have it handling like I want it to, but I'll play around with it a little more. When I set it up and fiddled with it I found a pretty heavy damper setting seemed to ride the best, but I'm new to full sus. so even after a couple months of riding(and having it set in one place for the last month) I'm sure I can play with it again. Maybe I'll take some damping out and see what it feels like.

mtbr member
    At your weight making changes in your bike wont make significant differences.

I started at 220 lbs and now towards the end of the season I am around 205
    and yes I feel faster and my bike feels lighter.
    More of the fact that I am lighter on my feet and my legs work more like a suspension.

What kind of brakes do you have?

I have Hope M4's and I would never go to anything less powerfull than these in the future.

At your weight Braking power is more valubale than even mine or anyone else out on the trail.

You can keep you speed (flickability) while having the confidence to stop on a dime when need be.
    Whereas before hand you had to brake prematurley because your brakes are not strong enough to handle quick stops.

Second of all ... your rear tire makes a huge dfference in flickability!

if you want to be able to flick your rear end HD's are too grippy and will be difficult.

Try the nono's , rara's or slant 6's in the rear only. I personally run a nono up front and a rara in back and noticed a ton of extra speed.

I would not change to a 1x10. 2x10's are faster unless you are swapping to a 1x11 million dollar sram bs.

Goood luck!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Oh, it's staying a 2x10. I have my 26" bikes as 1x9, but they're both HT and it isn't an issue. I'm a strong rider...it works, but it's just not for this bike and how/where I want to ride it.

Right now the brakes are 180mm F/R Magura MT2 w/BAT...stock. Once I got them bedded in they work just fine. I can stop on dime....maybe a nickel, LOL. I have confidence with them. I have a set of Saints I can put on, but I need a new hose for the rear to make it work(too short right now). I MIGHT do that this winter, but I don't really need to. They're currently on my XC HT bike(overkill I know, but I got a great deal on them when I was shopping for an upgrade from BB7's for that bike).

I'm not hell bent on really changing anything unless it's going to be beneficial. I think you guys are talking me out of spending the money as it is. I think I might have been trying to upgrade the bike to make up for the engine....it's the engine that needs the work though! I think I'm just going to upgrade the rear tire when it wears out and focus more on riding better and dropping some body weight....that's going to make more of a difference.

mtbr member

Re: Your thoughts and opinions, please.

Quote Originally Posted by toot334455 View Post
    I would not change to a 1x10. 2x10's are faster
    How so?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Garden View Post
    Here's the scoop: I've got a nice bike that I love, ride very well and am 99% happy with. I'm not a weight weenie. That said, there are a couple of things about my bike that I'd like to change if I could, without breaking the bank. The issue is the rear just feels flat out heavy. Not awkward, but not exactly 'flickable' either. I'm thinking of trying to lighten it up a bit....but I don't want to sacrifice the durability. For instance, I don't want to reduce weight with a racing type tire just to tear it to shreds...and they don't fit my needs really anyway.

Current setup:
    2013 Cannondale Trigger 29er 2. 2x10 w/ SRAM 11-36 1030 cassette(370g by searching, not an easy number to find and I haven't pulled it to weigh it). Schwalbe Hans Dampfs 2.35 Pace Star(850g). X9 rear der. WTB i23 rims, Formula hub. All is stock. Oh, and I'm running tubeless.

Rides:
    Most of what I ride is XC with some small drops(12-18" at most), a log here and there, some small, smooth jumps, no drops to flat, typical east coast rocks....some pretty chunky trails with lots of those small drops and lots of rocks/roots.

I was considering upping the cassette spec to drop the weight, but to be fair, any real weight savings isn't going to be remotely cheap. I can save some rotational weight with a new tire, but I don't really want to go too light as I ride some fairly chunky stuff often enough that I'd be uncomfortable on a thin-walled tire....and I'm a super clyde at 290 geared up!

For a tire I was considering a Nobby Nic Pace Star, Snakeskin 2.25(650g). Cassette upgrade to a $$$ xg-1099(208g) $$$.

I also need some new pedals and can save some overall weight there, but that's really not where I want/need to lose weight and I'm happy with Shimano's stuff....my first clipless pedals lasted 4 years and they're just not worth rebuilding (m520's). I'll probably get a set of M540's or XT's. I'm looking at Xpedo M-Force pedals too, but can't find a whole lot of experiences with them. There's some, but not a whole lot. They seem like a deal and don't weigh as much as the Shimano stuff but I've beat the crap of my 520's for four years....

Any and all input is appreciated! Thanks!

....off to the trails for the weekend!

XT pedals and a quick rolling tire that suits your local conditions. No need to throw down a bunch of money tom make the bike more rideable. After that you can upgrade components as you break them or wear them out. My two cents.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Garden View Post
    Here's the scoop: I've got a nice bike that I love, ride very well and am 99% happy with.
    I'd leave the bike alone...and round up to 100%.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater View Post
    ^^^
    This was good for a chuckle...Great comment.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater View Post
    Yep, that's what I'm gonna do...sort of! My grips are worn out so I'll have to replace them....then it'll be 100%