fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator

Yes...a saddle designed for 29" wheeled bikes.

F’izi:k THAR saddle – first look

Saddle manufacturer F’izi:k has developed a new saddle intended to be used on 29er mountain bikes.

So what makes a saddle 29er-specific? According to F’izi:k, “Larger wheels have forced changes in mountain bike geometry, often including longer chainstays and shallower seat angles. These changes have an affect on weight distribution and bike fit, tending to position the rider further towards the back of the bike.”

In order to address these fit issues, the THAR has rails with 95mm of fore/aft adjustment—25mm longer than comparable saddles, F’izi:k claims. This length was added to the rear of the saddle, allowing it to be positioned further forward to compensate for shallower seat angles and longer top tubes found on some (but certainly not all) big-wheeled mountain bikes...

Click here for more
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

Elitest thrill junkie
    Awe, goddammit...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Hmm. Interesting, because I've not had an issue getting into what feel like is "the right place" on a 29er. Well, except on my brother's Titus RacerX. Don't even get me started on that thing.

AZ
    banned
    Yeah sure. Great. Whats next, handlebars, pedals?

mtbr member
    Seems legit 😉

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Or does that mean that they haven't correctly dialed in 29er geometry or that most riders are on bikes that are too big for most?

Suspise

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    "THAR has rails with 95mm of fore/aft adjustment—25mm longer than comparable saddles, F’izi:k claims. This length was added to the rear of the saddle, allowing it to be positioned further forward..."

That's funny, I can rarely get my seat far enough back not forward. Guess this would only help if I had 74* STA or something like that which I don't.

mtbr member

Funny I generally have my saddle all the way back on the rails too.

SPP
    Rigid.

ballbuster
    Okay, I can see the additional fore/aft adjustment, but many saddles have that already. I'm not sure anybody can really say that 'feature' qualifies as an innovation to reflect the 29er market.

I mean, to me, when I robbed the parts from my 26" Stumpjumper FSR-XC to build my Titus RacerX29er, I just pulled the saddle and seatpost out of the old frame, and stuck it in the new frame. I think I just had to change the tilt a tad. If you size the frame right, there shouldn't be a whole lot of difference.

mtbr member
    I know less than nothing about saddles, but on both of my 29'ers, I have ended up with them being back far on the rails to be the most comfortable...

mudhen
    "Lighten up Francis" Sgt. Hulka

mtbr member
    Another gimmick.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDocTx View Post
    Another gimmick.
    I do like the idea of longer rails to allow for more adjustment.

In my case, I want to get the saddle as far back as possible and having short rails rules out some saddle choices - even if I use a set back post - as the clamp gets on the unsafe portion of the rails and I can't get things back far enough. Seems like the company is touting in their marketing that the long rails help riders on 29"ers get the saddle more forward, but for tall guys - it looks like this can work the other way as well without having to use the option of going beyond a size XL frame into XXL and XXXL sizes.

Fi'zi:k analysed the nose length of the saddle, measured from where the saddle is 75mm wide, and compared it to the competition. The popular Selle Italia SLR has 22mm forward adjustment from this point, whereas the Thar has 77mm thanks to its use of Fi'zi:k's ‘Mobius’ rail. This enters the saddle at a steeper angle than traditional saddle rails, maximising its length and preventing the seatpost clamp being pushed to an unsafe area of the rails.

Not sure that makes a saddle 29"er specific, but at least the option for a longer railed saddle (by 25mm) from Fizik now exists. This product looks like it is probably most beneficial for tall and short riders. So all you "average" height guys can wax on about the absurdity of it all, but from my vantage point - it looks interesting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post

Fi'zi:k analysed the nose length of the saddle, measured from where the saddle is 75mm wide, and compared it to the competition. The popular Selle Italia SLR has 22mm forward adjustment from this point, whereas the Thar has 77mm thanks to its use of Fi'zi:k's ‘Mobius’ rail. This enters the saddle at a steeper angle than traditional saddle rails, maximising its length and preventing the seatpost clamp being pushed to an unsafe area of the rails.
    Bruce, I hear what you are saying. But what I understood was that they added length to the rear so that the saddle can be pushed forward. That you be only good for short riders, and not help you at all. Hopefully I read that wrong, but even using the same quote you used, I don't think I am.

mtbr member
    I feel Fi'zi:k is all hype. I have it to find the one that came with my 12 Flash Carbon 29r to be anything special. A saddle is a saddle to me. Your butt just gets used to it after awhile. I have a Tundra 2. It is a nice saddle, but I don't know if I would have went out and specifically bought one.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    I do like the idea of longer rails to allow for more adjustment.

In my case, I want to get the saddle as far back as possible and having short rails rules out some saddle choices - even if I use a set back post - as the clamp gets on the unsafe portion of the rails and I can't get things back far enough. Seems like the company is touting in their marketing that the long rails help riders on 29"ers get the saddle more forward, but for tall guys - it looks like this can work the other way as well without having to use the option of going beyond a size XL frame into XXL and XXXL sizes.
    The other option to look at if you need additional fore-aft adjustment would be a monolink saddle. This replaces the saddle rails with a single beam, allowing greater adjustment and also creates a stronger saddle. A monolink saddle is less likely to break than a normal dual railed saddle where the saddle rails are a weak point, vulnerable to bending or breakages.

Manufacturers such as Selle Italia, SDG and Ritchey all offer their own versions of monolink saddles.

http://ritcheylogic.com/mountain/sad...allery-image-4

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...edition-44519/

http://sdgcomponents.com/products/i-beam-seats