Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Is XX1 better for racing vs trail riding

I ran across a rider on a XC race bike with XX1 and he felt that this system was better suited for XC racing than general trail riding. His reasoning was the wide gaps in the gearing wasn't as usefull as the closer jumps found on typical 2x10 systems. Second question how much weight savings would there be from the 2x10 [XT ]

www.derbyrims.com
    This is my opinion too, 2x10 is better for trail. I like the 2x10 ability to quickly and easily drop or rise a major gear change for trail riding irregular speeds on rough and sudden ups and downs having frequent sudden speed changes. XC racing requires maintaining intensely high momentum all the time, and the incremental cog-only gear changes with no sudden jump in gears with a single ring is fine for maintaining momentum and more reliable for not dropping a chain doing hard ring shifts.

The weight advantage for single ring is so small, no more than 1 pound overall, has no advantage for trail riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Courtesy of Bikeradar.com

As a group, XX1 is lighter than SRAMís flagship XX group. Each of the parts in XX1 is actually heavier than their 2x10 counterparts, but the fact that XX1 does away with a chainring, front derailleur, front shifter, along with the associated cable and housing, results in a net loss of approximately 200 grams.

So yes probably somewhere in the region of a pound over XT?

mtbr member

Is XX1 better for racing vs trail riding

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewfuzzy View Post

So yes probably somewhere in the region of a pound over XT?
    I did the math a while ago using Competitive Cyclist's weights (actual weight, not claimed) and found a full XX1 group to be just under a pound less than my XT drivetrain.

I'll be running XO 1x10 with a Wolftooth direct mount and its actually going to wind up being lighter than XX1. Just over a pound lighter than XT.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Just installed an XX1 setup on my new 29er and all I can say is WOW. For me the 1x11 setup is perfect for the XC riding I do here in Georgia. I don't do any racing but there are many other benefits that I like in the 1x11 XX1 group. I like the 2x10 setups but I love the simplicity of the XX1. No front chain rings, cable, or FR derailleur means less maintenance too. My two other bikes are 1x9 so you can tell where my bias comes from. My only complaint with 1x9 is not enough range, the 1x11 gives me a much wider (10-42) range that I can't get with a 1x9 or 1x10 setup. The smooth shifting clutched rear derailleur, no-drop front chain ring, carbon cranks, and choice of trigger or grip shift are all just bonuses. Any hey, if I save a pound of weight on top of all that, all the better (my new carbon 29er weight came in at 20.5 lbs ).

Formerly of Kent
    What the hell is "trail" riding?

People keep on throwing this term around, but the only real difference I can see is that you're likely to be on a heavier bike, wearing baggies and a camelbak, and perhaps on an FS.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post

People keep on throwing this term around, but the only real difference I can see is that you're likely to be on a heavier bike, wearing baggies and a camelbak, and perhaps on an FS.
    Beats the hell out of skin tight lycra......unless your watching the Ladies UCI XCO Championship

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have xx1 and like it for "trail riding" and XC. I replaced a 3x10 which I had changed to 1x9 for most trails, but had to add the front little ring and shifter for some of the trails out of town with big climbs. The xx1 does it all for me and I did save weight over my xo stuff and it is just cleaner.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks all for the info. Sounds like it depends on the steeper climbs and the individual need for a bailout gear [how strong your legs are].

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post

Definitely a confusing marketing bs term. XC has become a pejorative term among some people having the connotation of power measurement, weight-weenies, dirt-roads, lycra and only smooth trails. Therefore "trail".

I've also heard "marathon" which is also very confusing
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Formerly of Kent
    Indeed. I ride just about everything on my XC bike. The Hood River Enduro course was my main training loop when I lived in OR, but apparently that is super "gnar". Someone should have told me an XC racer in skin-tight lycra wasn't allowed to use those trails, as they are "trail" trails, and not "XC" trails.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewfuzzy View Post
    Beats the hell out of skin tight lycra......unless your watching the Ladies UCI XCO Championship
    So...the basic difference is you're just riding the same trails, but slower?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    To me its just riding trails, usually without checking Strava times, lap times, or as we used to say JRA.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Don't hate on the lycra. It is comfortable as hell.

I'm an Ex-baggy wearer. Baggies lose their comfort during 100 mile races.
    14 S-Works Epic WC
    14 Yeti ARC
    14 S-Works Crux Disc
    15 Echo Big Deal

mtbr member
    I don't know - the marketing terms make sense to me. Yeah there's significant overlap, and some bikes in particular really blur the lines, and because of this, I think some people use the terms differently.

Just my understanding:
    XC = riding best done on a sub 100mm travel bike or hard tail
    Trail = riding best done on a 120-150mm travel bike
    AM = 140mm+, single crown fork
    DH = 180mm+, usually dual crown forks

Obviously, you can ride any bike on any trail, except on the extreme climbs or extreme descents, but there's usually a set of compromises you have to make when choosing a bike for a ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by irishpitbull View Post
    Don't hate on the lycra. It is comfortable as hell.
    Yeah, but most people don't want to see dat ass on a casual trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    My ass is sexy as hell. Deal with it.
    14 S-Works Epic WC
    14 Yeti ARC
    14 S-Works Crux Disc
    15 Echo Big Deal

mtbr member
    My ass is sexy as hell. Deal with it.
    Yeah, I guess we all have to!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    I don't know - the marketing terms make sense to me. Yeah there's significant overlap, and some bikes in particular really blur the lines, and because of this, I think some people use the terms differently.
    That's the topic of another rant that's been done but IMO many bikes blur the lines. The categories pigeonhole, are limiting and confusing. Less so for people who've had lots of time riding just plain old bikes. Moreso for people who are new to riding but are now told that their bikes are inappropriate for their trails. Look at how many questions there are about whether or not one can ride a trail bike on AM trails just as an example; and this isn't just on the internet discussion boards but also in real life.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    That's the topic of another rant that's been done but IMO many bikes blur the lines. The categories pigeonhole, are limiting and confusing. Less so for people who've had lots of time riding just plain old bikes. Moreso for people who are new to riding but are now told that their bikes are inappropriate for their trails. Look at how many questions there are about whether or not one can ride a trail bike on AM trails just as an example; and this isn't just on the internet discussion boards but also in real life.
    I agree with you. Even this topic uses "trail" in a different sense.

I started out on a Trek 4300 and rode all kinds of crap I "shouldn't have" on that bike. Figured life would be easier if I could roll over more stuff easily, so I bought a used 29er for $900, which led me to more trails I "shouldn't have" ridden on that bike. Two years later, I'm riding a 125mm "trail" bike with a 140mm fork and it's perfect for 90% of what I ride.

I really don't think of those terms as pigeon holes for each bike, mainly because there's really no narrow definition for them. I think people should ask - do I want my bike to be good at climbing or good at descending? Then see where they fit on a sliding scale.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I wear Lycra trail riding, also wear Fox baggy shorts, my riding partner trail rides sometimes at speeds most racers would like to do, He rides a Specialized Epic carbon that weighs maybe 23lbs. I ride a 140mm 29r usually slower than he rides, We ride some trails in GJ,and Moab that some would call All-Mountain,but sometimes we find smooth flowy non-rocky trails. We never realized we had to adhere to a strick dress code or bike travel and weight to ride all these great trails we ride We just ride trails without timing each other or a finishing order. Our bad for just trail riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fruitafrank View Post
    I wear Lycra trail riding, also wear Fox baggy shorts, my riding partner trail rides sometimes at speeds most racers would like to do, He rides a Specialized Epic carbon that weighs maybe 23lbs. I ride a 140mm 29r usually slower than he rides, We ride some trails in GJ,and Moab that some would call All-Mountain,but sometimes we find smooth flowy non-rocky trails. We never realized we had to adhere to a strick dress code or bike travel and weight to ride all these great trails we ride We just ride trails without timing each other or a finishing order. Our bad for just trail riding!
    Pardon me for being brash, but part of the problem with this debate is that people get so butthurt by the mere suggestion that some bikes are better at some things than others. If this wasn't the case, then we'd be riding beach cruisers down a mountain.

Fact is, almost any "XC", "Trail", or "AM" bike will be able to ridden up and down almost any trail, and its rider will have fun doing it. How fast you want to do it, how plush you want the ride to be, whether you want to jump, how efficient you want the climb to be...that's where choice and personal preference comes in, and different people find different elements of riding to be more important than others. Anyone saying different is the one doing the pigeon-holing. Marketing a bike as being good at something doesn't mean it's unrideable on something else.

And as for the lycra - I'm a function over fashion kind of dude. I speak for myself, but if you want to wear lycra, go right ahead. From everything I hear, they're way more comfy than shorts and they stay put. But come on - lycra's the "tighty whitey" of the mtb world - people are gonna poke fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    And as for the lycra - I'm a function over fashion kind of dude. I speak for myself, but if you want to wear lycra, go right ahead. From everything I hear, they're way more comfy than shorts and they stay put. But come on - lycra's the "tighty whitey" of the mtb world - people are gonna poke fun.
    Nobody has ever poked fun at my lyrca and if they did, they weren't man enough to do it in front of me.

I dont give **** if you show up with a leaf glued to your ass, lets ride.
    14 S-Works Epic WC
    14 Yeti ARC
    14 S-Works Crux Disc
    15 Echo Big Deal

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I went XX1 (front only) on both my 2013 Carbon Stumpy 29er, and on my 2013 Scalpel 29er and I must say it was the most worthwhile upgrade I have ever made other than adding lighter wheels.
    I do know for a fact that swapping the XX1 with the S-1250 2x from my Stumpy reduced the overall weight of my bike by a full 1lb. 4oz., and actually a bit more on my Scalpel, which had a slightly heavier S-1000 2x crankset.
    So far, I have NEVER missed having the "other" 10 gears on the old set up, and it is also great with a 32T, effectively raising the BB height and keeping me from smacking rocks....
    2011 C-Dale Flash 1 650b
    2013 Scott Genius 930

mtbr member
    Nobody has ever poked fun at my lyrca and if they did, they weren't man enough to do it in front of me.

I dont give **** if you show up with a leaf glued to your ass, lets ride.
    If you were my friend, I'd probably make fun of you, then go buy a pair after the ride. Mostly because I have a bike gear problem.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast