mtbr member
    Aug 2013

XTR Front Caliper Allen Wrench Woes

I'm trying to adjust the front caliper on my Salsa Ti as the rotor is hitting one of the pads as it spins around. I tried loosening the caliper bolts and squeezing the front brake lever to center the caliper. I then tightened the bolts. This seemed to help some, however when I tightened the bolts, the allen wrench slipped inside the bolt head under high force. I was using a 4mm wrench which does not fit perfectly snug. I tried inserting a 4.5 mm allen and it's too big. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is? Is it standard (as opposed to metric)?

Professional Crastinator
    Most brake caliper bolts have a 5mm hex socket in them.
    Wasn't that 4mm wrench kinda loose?

If your caliper did not move before, then likely your rotor is rubbing because it is bent, or the wheel is crooked in the dropouts. If the rotor always rubbed, then maybe the caliper does need some aligning.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You did not post specific brake model.

However, google "shimano technical documents xtr front brake". The world of shimano technical information will appear before your eyes.

Here is one for the M965 brake.

The linked document says, 5mm for the caliper fixing bolt. I guarantee shimano is in metric.

And, as I typed this shimano's servers have died. . . But, you can navigate to the technical documents through shimano's website, "Tech support" tab, "Tech docs" pulldown.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I took the bike into the shop today. The bolt heads did indeed take a 4mm allen wrench. They replaced the 4mm bolts with bolts that had 5mm heads on them. They said that my rotor was bent and they straightened it. They then centered the caliper and all is well.

I bought the Park tool for straightening rotors so I can do it myself in the future.

Thanks for all the responses. You guys know your stuff. I'm slowly learning...