mtbr member
    Jul 2013

XT or XTR shifters?

Got a GT 29er recently. Loving the bike as it handles nicely and is spec'ed pretty well. Done a lot of riding up in the mountains as well as the local trails and I am not sure I am sold on the SLX shifters. They work well and are pretty smooth so they are not having an operational issue. They just feel a little sluggish compared to my XT's on my hardtail. I am missing that a bit so...

I am considering updating them to XT but while I am in the research mode I am finding that XTR seems to regarded as just awesome for shifters. So the question, how much more awesome from XT is XTR and is it worth it?

Interested in feedback. Thanks to all in advance!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have a full XT bike and a full XTR bike and I can't tell the difference between the two shifters.

Happy Trails

XT or XTR shifters?

Quote Originally Posted by Fiendbear View Post
    I have a full XT bike and a full XTR bike and I can't tell the difference between the two shifters.
    YES, this .... but .....

I trust first-person recommendations like this above a lot ... A hell of a lot more than the "genius" recommendations you see in here from people who don't actual do/ride/own what they are posting about... So I give this comment a lot of credibility. And I didn't ever upgrade from XT to XTR on my last bike (previous gen 3X9) but I did go with XTR on my current bike. If you are going through the expense of upgrading at all it might be worth considering maxing out. It depends how much the $150 bucks means to you. SLX to XT is just one step up ..... and XT is good stuff.... superb stuff.... and the minuscule increment in performance and weight would probably be impossible for a medium-skills rider like me to ever notice.... but with XTR you don't have to wonder if it could be better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

XT or XTR shifters?

Not sure if this is still a difference on 2013 models, but on my old 2011s(?), XTR allowed double up shifts with one push. I was a big fan and used that often.

mtbr member
    Never tried the XT's, but nothing but good things to say about my XTR shifters, extremely quick and accurate.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I recently upgraded from slx to xt shifters...big difference. I recommend it.

mtbr member
    XTR on a TB LTc, and XT on Blur LTc...also can't tell which is which by feel.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    I'm running the M670 SLX shifters and recently built up my GF's bike with XT M780. Performance-wise I can't tell the difference. I like the shape of the upper lever compared to my SLX.

I was going to get the XT shifters...but after using hers...I'm putting it off for now.

Trail Ninja
    XTR has nicer feeling textured paddles, and I think it comes with a nicer cable and housing out of the retail box which accounts for the most difference in lever feel (Shimano contracts Yokozuna to make their higher end cables/housing). XT and XTR are the only two shifters models that have multi-release, that lets you shift to a higher twice in one lever throw. XT is found as low as $50 for just a single shifter (BikeNashbar last I checked), maybe as low as $80 for a pair, and XTR shifters cost as low as $100 *each*, maybe as low as 180 for the pair. XTR has no provision for gear indicators and has a fancy polished lightweight alloy clamp. XTR's known to have many of the metal to metal contact points coated with a fluorine coating, sometimes using materials such as Ti, in place of steel, but I haven't opened my XTR shifter to confirm.

I own both. I'm spoiled by multi release. I don't think they're worth their absurd cost, especially when there's a Deore shifter selling on JensonUSA for $13.

MTB B'dos
    Heard it from a few people, and then there's some who say that they can detect that little bit, but I'm more inclined to believe the ones who say they can't feel the difference. Personally don't own, nor never have XTR shifters, but have always had XT, LX and now SLX and most definitely the upgrade between slx and XT is noticeable to me, especially in the lever and it's construction/ergonomics and tactile feel.
    Not so (at least not 9spd), was not ever standard on XT levers, but you could do the mod to the cover to "unlock" the mod for the XTs. I just got "new" XT M770 9spd shifters and did the mod and it's super sweet to be able to drop 2 gears when I need to - using Rapid Rise RDs, wish you could do it to LX.
    Quote Originally Posted by gi02sl View Post
    Not sure if this is still a difference on 2013 models, but on my old 2011s(?), XTR allowed double up shifts with one push. I was a big fan and used that often.
    Last edited by LyNx; 07-25-2013 at 09:15 AM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I have XT shifters and an XTR rear derailleur. I know this is a slightly different situation than the TS, but I thought I could share my experience. I can upshift 2 gears with a single throw/push and downshift 5 gears with a single push. I have this setup on my 2 bikes.

The shifting is basically more than I can ask for - crisp, fast, accurate. I'm not curious about XTR shifters anymore. Of course, I cheated a bit because my RD is XTR. If we're talking about shifter performance alone, then I can't really comment, but I would recommend upgrading the RD along with the shifter (he didn't mention his present RD).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gi02sl View Post
    XT (SL-780) will alow you to double or triple shift (set up which you prefer)
    Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    I have both SLX and XT shifters and there is a huge difference.
    (Don't know about XT vs XTR)
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I currently have a bike with full XT. I have owned bikes with LX, XT, XTR, campy chorus and record.

I have no issues with XT shifting. That said, XTR is "better". The question is how much are you willing to spend for that "better".

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    YES, this .... but .....

I trust first-person recommendations like this above a lot ... A hell of a lot more than the "genius" recommendations you see in here from people who don't actual do/ride/own what they are posting about... So I give this comment a lot of credibility. And I didn't ever upgrade from XT to XTR on my last bike (previous gen 3X9) but I did go with XTR on my current bike. If you are going through the expense of upgrading at all it might be worth considering maxing out. It depends how much the $150 bucks means to you. SLX to XT is just one step up ..... and XT is good stuff.... superb stuff.... and the minuscule increment in performance and weight would probably be impossible for a medium-skills rider like me to ever notice.... but with XTR you don't have to wonder if it could be better.
    It's this line of stinking thinking that has costs me a lot of money over the years. Yet I still have to agree. When I upgrade I usually don't go up one level. I make sure I get something that will leave no doubt in my mind that I made the right choice.

For the record I have both on different bikes and I love my XTR's.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...