Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

XT trail pedals keeping on clipping out

why is that my XT trail pedals always clipping out my shoe during a bumpy ride or running over a root or rock. I've already tighten the tension on the XT Trail pedals and even changed the cleats but it doesn't resolve the problem. Is this normal?

Comparison to my Mallet DH pedals, my foot stick like glue, this pedals are great but the only problem the crank brothers cleats wears too fast.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

XT trail pedals keeping on clipping out

Is it possible you are using the sh56 cleats instead of the standard shimano cleats? I used the 56's for a while but they would sometimes unclip when I didn't want them to.

Hi There!
    Mine work great, not sure what could be wrong there.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    As berettdave suggested, make sure you have the right spd clips...the standard clip SH-51 is a heel in /heel out release whereas sh-56 are multi-release and will comme out of the pedals all ways...heel in/out/up/down

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've been using the SM-SH51, which I believe is the heal in/ heal out release. Once I hit a rock/ root I clip out easily, because of these I loose speed during downhill ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have had a similar problem with the XTR trail pedals when new. It seems like you are clipped in but hit a rock or something and the foot pops out. You need to sort of twist your foot until you hear the click to be in properly. I have just got new XTR pedals and had the same problem with the previous set which were sold with a bike. Last time after a few rides the problem seemed to disappear and clicking in was as at should be.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by m3bas View Post
    I have had a similar problem with the XTR trail pedals when new. It seems like you are clipped in but hit a rock or something and the foot pops out. You need to sort of twist your foot until you hear the click to be in properly. I have just got new XTR pedals and had the same problem with the previous set which were sold with a bike. Last time after a few rides the problem seemed to disappear and clicking in was as at should be.
    Have you tried running over a rock or roots?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rave81 View Post
    I've been using the SM-SH51, which I believe is the heal in/ heal out release. Once I hit a rock/ root I clip out easily, because of these I loose speed during downhill ride.
    Just to clarify.. do you mean your pedal is hitting a rock/root? or when you simply roll over rocks/roots during normal riding without pedal strikes?
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    Just to clarify.. do you mean your pedal is hitting a rock/root? or when you simply roll over rocks/roots during normal riding without pedal strikes?

Roll over rocks/roots without pedal strike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I went through the same thing last year when I switched from Crank Bros Eggbeaters to Shimano XTs.

My guess is that your riding style and/or body mechanics require a pedal with more float than a Shimano provides. You've been riding Crank Bros pedals for quite a while and they have a lot of float while Shimano pedals really don't.

One isn't necessary better than another, just different strokes for different folks. You may adapt over time, or you might just be better off going back to Crank Bros pedals. I miss mine, and kind of regret changing, but I did it on 4 bikes at once, so I'm financially locked in now!

I do NOT miss wearing out CB cleats in almost no time at all, though!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Riding rigid
    Mar 2007
    Are you getting a solid click when you clip in? What brand of shoes are you wearing? Check that the rubber on the shoes clear the XT cage.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yes I hear solid click when I clip in. I use shimno am45 and shimAno mt53.

Xt cage is clear of dirt.

mtbr member
    Not to sound dumb, are your pedals tightened correctly? If they are to loose you will come out of them while riding. There is an allen bolt on each side for tightening both the top and bottom cleat. You might want to give them a turn or two.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by millertm View Post
    Not to sound dumb, are your pedals tightened correctly? If they are to loose you will come out of them while riding. There is an allen bolt on each side for tightening both the top and bottom cleat. You might want to give them a turn or two.

Mark
    I set the tension as tight as possible. All it does is make its difficult to clip in, but it easily Clip out.

mtbr member
    I set the tension as tight as possible. All it does is make its difficult to clip in, but it easily Clip out.
    Ouch, if it diffcult to clip in then you are using the correct cleats. Hit up an LBS and see what they can do for you or try another set of pedals.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

ballbuster
    why is that my XT trail pedals always clipping out my shoe during a bumpy ride or running over a root or rock. I've already tighten the tension on the XT Trail pedals and even changed the cleats but it doesn't resolve the problem. Is this normal?

Comparison to my Mallet DH pedals, my foot stick like glue, this pedals are great but the only problem the crank brothers cleats wears too fast.
    Have you lubed the cleat mechanism pivot points? Seems to help in my case. Makes entry/exit smoother.

I'm wondering if what is happening is, there might be crud in the cleat mechanism, keeping it from locking down all the way, leaving some tap-dance clearance in there.

I also had an issue with crud collecting under the cleat on my shoe. Every now and again, I try and pick out the junk that packs up in there in there with a small flat screwdriver.

Like the other poster said, I would also look for cleat placement. If your cleats are oriented so they are all the way at the end of their float allowance, then any deviation from your foot will trigger a release. Maybe you ride slightly duck footed or pigeon toed.... or something.

Crash Dummy In Training

I know for me I use PD-M-520 Shimano's with the SH-51 Cleat's and I was having the same problem only on up hill rocky tech section's and they would release in either direction but down hill was never an issue.
    I have three set's of cleat's so I checked to make sure they were SH-51's and all three were so I just changed to a new set of cleats and re positioned the cleat's now they won't come out either direction also instead of the cleat being centered I off set them to the inside of the foot see how this work's.
    I sum my problem up to that M-520's don't have a lot of shoe contact area so I might be twisting my foot and not realizing it.
    With Mallet's you have more foot contact so my guess is it's harder to twist your foot ?
    Just my 2 cent's (And my 2 cent's is all way's free)
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

Paste eater
    I switched to XTs with the cage thingy after breaking a spindle on one of my mallets. I tried the multi release pedals first. Those things were down right dangerous. I now use the regular cleats and run the tension pretty much as loose as possible. Works great.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Stupid question, but are the cleats installed properly? I had a customer bolt them in upside down once. It sort of worked.

Rub it............

The tension adjustment is more for release, not engagement.

Recheck your adjustments.

I just came off Crank Brother Candy's after 4 years of use and now using XT's. No problems with clipping out unexpectedly after 6 months of use.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I installed new cleats and its in the correct position. I tighten the tension so that's my shoe doesn't clipping out when I roll over rocks/roots and during high speed cornering, but no improvement. I might try another set of xt trail pedals . As of now I'm enjoying the crank brothers mallet dh. It stick like a glue on my foot, which is reliable at this stage. However I noticed the cleats worn out too fast within 4 weeks of us. Also the clip that holds the cleats rusted after using it in wet condition for 2 weeks.

mtbr member
    which shoes do you use? are the cleats recessed? if so, you might try to shim them. you can use the CB plastic shim, and if it solves the problem you can buy the metal shims once the plastic wears down.

if you can't seem to find a solution, move to another pedal with floating system like Time Atac. they are as good as CB but the cleats don't wear so fast.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Are they durable as shimano?

mtbr member
    They are probably the most durable pedals on the market.

mtbr member
    First season clipless on XT Trail pedals and I've noticed the right pedal (one side of it at least) is easier to unclip/clip than the other side of the pedal. The left pedal clips in/out the same way for each side. My tension is adjusted properly on both pedals, and cleats along with the cleat mechanism doesn't look worn yet or anything strange. So what am I experiencing here? I would love for the right pedal to feel the same on both sides when I unclip as it really is super easy to unclip at times when I wish I wasn't unclipping. Using the SH56 clips since starting out clipless but I don't see how switching to the SH51 clips would resolve anything, as like I said, the SH56 right clip feels different on each side of the right pedal. Using the same motion of unclipping and same pedal/crank position yields two different unclipping feels depending on which side of pedal is used.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast