mtbr member
    Oct 2012

XT Rear D or Zee Rear D for 1x10 setup?

I have all parts arriving today and tomorrow for my new Soma Juice build...I ended up going 1x10 and had just picked up a new XT Rear D....I went with a 34T single up front with a bash guard. Question is should I just give the XT a shot or will the Zee definitely be a noticeable difference?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Go with XT. No need for a Zee unless you're gonna be runnin it harder than the Soma frame was designed for.

What XT did you get? For a 1x10, a medium cage (since Shimano doesn't make short) is your best bet. Shadow plus is good, but I'd still recommend a chain guide either way.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy135 View Post
    Go with XT. No need for a Zee unless you're gonna be runnin it harder than the Soma frame was designed for.

What XT did you get? For a 1x10, a medium cage (since Shimano doesn't make short) is your best bet. Shadow plus is good, but I'd still recommend a chain guide either way.
    The M780....not sure which cage though and bike is at LBS ready to be torn down. You say you would still recommend a chain guide....does that just hold the chain in a more stable position? Any recommendations on which one to get?

mtbr member
    SGS = long cage
    GS = medium cage
    SS = Short cage
    Medium should be enough, short would be better.
    Is there a short XT? ryguy says they don't make it.
    I couldn't find it, went for the GS.

Some sort of chain guide would be nice.
    I use a bashring and a N-gear Jump Stop.
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by thasingletrackmastah View Post
    SGS = long cage
    GS = medium cage
    SS = Short cage
    Medium should be enough, short would be better.
    Is there a short XT? ryguy says they don't make it.
    I couldn't find it, went for the GS.

Some sort of chain guide would be nice.
    I use a bashring and a N-gear Jump Stop.
    Does the jump stop just prevent the chain from coming off of the front ring or does it do anything to prevent chain slap on jumps/DH?

mtbr member
    In the past, I'd always buy XT grade stuff. A few weeks ago, I decided to go 1X10 on one of my bikes and figured why not try the Zee (Shadow Plus)stuff? Derailleur, short cage, with shifter works fantastically well. Well above what I expected. No chainslap, but you have to make sure you are running the shortest chain possible according to the cassette you'll be using. I haven't dropped a chain, no chain guide/guard. Great value at a very reasonable price.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnydrz View Post
    In the past, I'd always buy XT grade stuff. A few weeks ago, I decided to go 1X10 on one of my bikes and figured why not try the Zee (Shadow Plus)stuff? Derailleur, short cage, with shifter works fantastically well. Well above what I expected. No chainslap, but you have to make sure you are running the shortest chain possible according to the cassette you'll be using. I haven't dropped a chain, no chain guide/guard. Great value at a very reasonable price.
    Cool....I have new XT shifters....Assume they would also work great, right?

Also, the Zee comes in two versions...how do I know which one I would want? Shimano M640 Zee Rear Derailleur > Components > Drivetrain > Rear Derailleurs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I'd go XT, I've used it and XTR mid cage derailleurs 1x10 with perfection (Shadow+ of course).

In key areas the Zee uses stamped parts where XT and XTR use forged pieces, thus they will outlast Zee or SLX.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just left my LBS. My current bike is there now. Blue Sky told me that Zee derailleur wouldn't work with any shifters but Zee. That right?

Does this have Shadow+? This is my Rear D. Product
    Last edited by ddublu; 12-05-2012 at 12:40 PM.

mtbr member
    The Jump Stop helps to keep the chain on the front ring, just as the bashring.
    nothing mor, nothing less.
    You have a long cage XT mech, which is fine, but doesn't keep the chain as tight as a shorter cage model would. (so you'll need something to pervent your chain from falling of the front ring)
    Just keep the chain as short as possible and ride.

mtbr member
    Although the Xt did a good job keeping the chain in place, I bought a Zee FR because of the shorter cage.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I absolutely love my Zee rear D....bunny hopping over trees or curbs makes ZERO noise....it was actually weird the first few times to not have any noise...if you are on the fence...do it.
    ★★★★ My 2012 Soma Juice build ★★★★

mtbr member

XT Rear D or Zee Rear D for 1x10 setup?

Last week i changed from a xt shadow RD to a xt shadow plus RD. All The chain slaping noices are gone. And The shifter is firmer.