mtbr member

Xt front der and shifter problem

I just installed my xt FD and shifter, all is fine but when I shift to granny gear(smallest chain ring) there's loud thus noise like you slam something against the bike. Did i installed it wrong or is it broken. Please help me, your advice is very much appreciated..
    Thanks,
    Larry

MTB B'dos
    Since it's hard to interpret people use of descriptive words like thud, it's going to be very hard for anyone to help, but I'll give it a go. If I'm guessing this right, the "thud" you're getting is because the FD is hitting your seat-tube, you need to adjust the LOW limit screw to stop this, other than that no clue. If you don't know what I'm talking about, visit the Park Tools website and look through their tutorials on it.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Second the hard to interpret sentiment, but I'll throw this out there too.

Could your derailleur be hitting the tire? What bike is this on? Did this happen on the repair stand, or while riding? Is the derailleur straight in line with the chainrings?

Take a pic if you can, from side and from above, and we can help more.

mtbr member
    Sorry if its hard to understand what I mean, thanks for the help.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by larryarroyo View Post
    I just installed my xt FD and shifter, all is fine but when I shift to granny gear(smallest chain ring) there's loud thus noise like you slam something against the bike. Did i installed it wrong or is it broken. Please help me, your advice is very much appreciated..
    Thanks,
    Larry
    Are you talking about chainsuck? That's where the chain sticks to the chainrings past the bottom part where it would normally let go and go back to the rear derailleur, and instead of letting go, it starts wrapping back around and up to where the chain lands on the chainrings, making a complete loop... and jams. Sometimes, the chain gets jammed between the chainrings and the frame.

This is pretty common. Do a search for chainsuck on these mtbr boards. It's been covered a lot.

Often, chainsuck is caused by just shifting from the middle ring to granny gear while pedaling hard... under load. Lighten up during the shift and see if it goes away.

Chainsuck looks something like this vid I stole of the youtoobz: