Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Xfusion 29er?

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  gribbles 
#1 ·
anyone riding this fork for any time yet? I see it all over the web now for around $300 sooo seems like a decent option to replace the crappy Reba. Ya, I'll gain a 1/2 lbs but I'm hoping it'll be more reliable with a better ride..?

Only seem 1 real review on them...

Like that they are Adj to 80-100-120 as I want to try 120 but not sure I'll want to keep it there. Also looking at a Manitou, but again, wouldn't mind having the length options to play with. :skep:

#6 ·
Is it the Slide, thats the only 29er model thats been released so far? Think it only comes in 9mm axle as well. They are selling at a resonable price. Only reason I haven't purchased one. Is cause you haven't heard much about them.

Been happy with REBA. Cheap and easy to rebuild as well.

#7 ·
I put one on a couple of weeks ago, raced a 6 hour race Sat. with it. Feels a lot like a Fox to me. That is not necessarily praise. For me, i have never liked the non linear feel a fox, that is as you go through the travel it stacks up so bad i never get to use more than 1/2 the travel. Only way to use more is to lower the air pressure so much sag takes away a lot of the Travel. The slide has this same characteristic. So if you like a Fox, will probably like the slide. Also, it looks well built. The 2012's do not come in 15mm, they will in 2013.
Personally i like the feel of a Rockshox, especially the dual air(only ridden Sid's todate). Have never ridden a Reba, will it feel like a Sid? I want a 120mm fork, the SID only comes in 100.
I

#8 ·
I put one on a couple of weeks ago, raced a 6 hour race Sat. with it. Feels a lot like a Fox to me. That is not necessarily praise. For me, I have never liked the non linear feel a fox, that is as you go through the travel it stacks up so bad i never get to use more than 1/2 the travel. Only way to use more is to lower the air pressure so much sag takes away a lot of the Travel. The slide has this same characteristic. So if you like a Fox, will probably like the slide. Also, it looks well built. The 2012's do not come in 15mm, they will in 2013.
Personally i like the feel of a Rockshox, especially the dual air(only ridden Sid's todate). Have never ridden a Reba, will it feel like a Sid? I want a 120mm fork, the SID only comes in 100.
I
actually you are describing exactly what I dislike about the Reba's I've had. At "recommended" air pressures it's like riding a rigid fork over the small rough, and only works on the big hits... to get any real small bump sus I have to lower the sag to more like 25-30%, then it just blows through the travel and thumps. played with the dual air back and forth but it just never gets a good even flow between the top and bottom operation of the fork(s) I've always found the Manitou's to have a much better arc through out the compression of the fork. Was hoping the X-fusion would be another...:skep:

#9 ·
Kind of weird but the Velvet i put on my 26/650b does not feel this way at all, feels very linear through the travel But a longer travel fork, and i believe they changed the Velvet to be more linear in 2012. So perhaps in 2013 XFusion will do the same to the Slide. XFusion definately offers you a nice fork for the price.

#10 ·
Definatly have XFusion on my radar for winter upgrades. Hopefully more info will become available in coming months.

A few people from here have shared that if you run the REBA 10-20% less air than whats recommended. You'll get better results. I've been running mine closer to 20% and like it much better. I just wish the rebound was a little faster.

#11 ·
Reba just bottoms out on me when I lower the pressure, tried higher neg air, lower Pos air, many diff combo's.... :madman:

that and they aren't the most reliable and need rather regular rebuilding/re-sealing. I did use a slightly fatter set of O-rings (same O.D. smaller I.D. with a thicker actual material), the last time I rebuilt it and that has help stop the seeping/leaking over stock ones. :skep:

Still not what I would call a great fork, will be tossing it for a Manitou or the X-fusion at first chance

#12 ·
new guy here - but I've been running a slide 29 since June. Happy as can be - however it was an upgrade over the crappy suntour my Scott came with. I'm running it at 120mm and love it. I can't give you a good comparison but I've swapped rides with a buddy of mine who rides a Raleigh with a Fox fork and it felt very similar. I'm a big guy (250lbs) and this fork handles me with ease.

My old 26er had a Judy on it, that was a great fork, but I'm just as happy with the slide.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.