mtbr member
    Jul 2013

xc 32 fork - Newbie needs some insight

Hello everyone

I purchased a 2013 Norco Charger 9.1 this saturday. This is my first real quality bike other than my few week ownership of a 2012 Marin Ironsprings. I haven't ridden bikes before with these types of quality forks. I have a few basic questions. I'm 6ft 160lbs, the spring in my XC 32 has a medium spring in it. I figure this should be sufficient for my weight. I intend to gain another 10 maybe 15lbs. My riding is street, beginner trails and cross country. With the lockout feature can I damage the fork by riding off a curb etc with it locked out? I'm paranoid about damaging something by not having the knowledge. What impact does the preload make on ride and how should I adjust it? This is a new world for me and I'm still working on learning how these things work. So far I've managed to put on about 50k riding around town. Any help is appreciated, this site has helped a lot when selecting and narrowing down my first quality bike.

Scott

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    So I read your other thread and followed here.
    The fork you have has preload adjustment, turning it clockwise(+) firm up the spring by compressing it internally. It is perfectly safe to turn it all the way clockwise to firm up the suspension if desire.
    Now your fork XC32 has this technology called TurnKey, basically when you hit a big enough bump with your fork locked out, it will instantly unlock momentarily and absorb the bump. Is it safe to use it? yes, but it is recommended to only use it on smooth surface.

Your fork also has a knob at the bottom of the right leg to adjust the rebound setting.If you don't know what it does, just turn that knob toward the 'rabbit' for quicker rebound(most prefer this setting).

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I will look at that tomorrow thanks, I had no idea that knob was there. I only use the lockout when riding uphill on smooth terrain what I'm tired. Otherwise I might use it at half to allow more give. Obviously if I was on rough terrain I wouldn't lock it out. It's good to know that the internals will give to prevent damage, that was my main concern.