• 09-06-2012
    bonesetter2004
    !x9 small as possible up front
    I would like to run a small front chainring of 29 or 30T.

I run this presently on a HT using a Middleburn set-up and an Anderson 29T, but would like to move away from the Middleburn stuff for a lightweight Ti build.

Lightweight would be a bonus but not essential

Is this possible to achieve?

Cheers
  • 09-06-2012
    Wish I Were Riding
    I got 3 28th HBC rings for my Middleburns, but I don't want to open that can of worms for anyone. Not sure what else works...
  • 09-07-2012
    bonesetter2004
    MRP Bling Ring Chainring, in a similar set-up would get me there

http://dangsr.com/images/bicycle/niner/niner.jpg
  • 09-07-2012
    ronyc
    1 Attachment(s)
    +1 on the aka cranks and bling ring.
  • 09-07-2012
    bonesetter2004
    Thanks Guys - decided to go AKA with 30T :)
  • 09-07-2012
    buddhak
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ronyc View Post
    +1 on the aka cranks and bling ring.

This whole nether-region shot looks great. Ronyc, how do you like this combo (ring, guide, retention) for aggressive riding?
  • 09-07-2012
    Nater
    I'm going AKA with Bling Rings too. Probably a 30 tooth for daily duty with 28 and 32 toothers in the wings.
  • 09-07-2012
    bonesetter2004
    The combo appealed to me instantly. Looks clean strong and versatile.

More minimal than the Middleburns, and likely better for it dare I say...?
  • 09-07-2012
    DFYFZX
    The new X9 and X0 cranks can run the same BlingRing setup. My buddy and I have X0 cranks and got them for not much more than the AKA costs. Keep an eye out on Ebay and you could be running LIGHT cranks for not much more money;) Oh, and we're both running BLingRings and like them a LOT;)

I'm not familiar with AKA cranks, but aren't X9 cranks a higher level and lighter, or are they equals? X9 cranks are all over Ebay for right about the same price as the AKA cranks...
  • 09-07-2012
    sheranian
    I bought my AKA off of Jenson for around $100 a couple weeks ago. I think they have the same deal still.
  • 09-07-2012
    Slow Danger
    I have the AKA with bling ring in a 29t. Love it. Has been flawless. From my research before buying, I was told by a few different people that the AKA crank arms were pretty much identical to the X9 cranks. The difference was said to be in the rings. Wouldn't consider this gospel, even though I asked on the SRAM forum:).
  • 09-11-2012
    bonesetter2004
    Decided on the AKA route. The difference in weight with chainrings removed between that and the XO can't be much, plus I picked up an AKA set off CRC with a sell-out price
  • 09-11-2012
    ozzybmx
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    I got 3 28th HBC rings for my Middleburns, but I don't want to open that can of worms for anyone. Not sure what else works...

You wouldnt happen to have a black spiderless one you are not using ?
  • 09-11-2012
    ozzybmx
    Negged troll !
  • 09-22-2012
    Kjlegend
    Hmmmm