mtbr member
    Jan 2012

X7 rear derailed is bent

Can my derealer be straightened out? My chain broke jerking the derealer bending it slightly.how easy or hard will it be to straighten it?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Yes, that's fonetic
    It'll never work as good as new, so best fix is a new one. If you've bent the derailleur, you've likely bent the hanger as well so you'll need one of these...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    That DAG 2 is a good tool. I ordered one just recently. Any pictures of your problem?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    It'll never work as good as new, so best fix is a new one. If you've bent the derailleur, you've likely bent the hanger as well so you'll need one of these...
    Like whodaphuck said "It'll never work as good as new"
    You should be able to get it close if it's not bent too bad, and this is the 1st time straightening it. Otherwise it's most likely upgrade time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

no pictures

It isn't bent too bad I might try to straighten it this weekend and just order a new one to put on next week. It is a Sram X7 I can get a new one from Price Point for $49. It shifts good but when in the 4th and 5th rings in back and the #2 ring in front it will try to ride up on the teeth when I am torking the pedals fairly hard. It dosen't actually skip or jump gears so it isn't very bad. Thanks for your responses.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Take a 6 pack to your lbs and ask them to check your hanger (that tool I posted a pic of is a derailleur alignment gauge). I've had slightly bent derailleurs work passably once I straightened the hanger. Worth a try before you order a new one.